PDA

View Full Version : Game used balls

Roady
02-17-2016, 04:45 PM
You see the descriptions on Ebay all the time......."So and So's game used ball"

You click on the auction and discover it was a pitch in the dirt.

The ball was used by the pitcher but to call it used by the hitter is disingenuous.

Just gets on my nerves.

Dach0sen0ne
02-17-2016, 05:55 PM
You see the descriptions on Ebay all the time......."So and So's game used ball"

You click on the auction and discover it was a pitch in the dirt.

The ball was used by the pitcher but to call it used by the hitter is disingenuous.

Just gets on my nerves.

Or they call it a "hit ball" because he fouled it off, I've seen that a ton.

Roady
02-17-2016, 11:19 PM
Or they call it a "hit ball" because he fouled it off, I've seen that a ton.

Yeah that one is bad too.

Makes me think the seller is someone I could not trust.

yanks12025
02-18-2016, 05:02 PM
I don't see the problem calling a foul ball a hit ball. The player has to hit it to foul it off. When selling a actual hit ball they should say X base hit.

Swoboda4
02-18-2016, 10:20 PM
You guys are right and if the bat hit the ball (foul) the word "hit" is used to help with ebay search engine. If you correctly put GAME USED BASEBALL everything but baseballs comes up, if you add just "ball" the same. But if you add "hit", "pitch" or "catch" the search results become clearer. Correct foul is more accurate but I've never searched foul in looking for game used balls on ebay. I wrote in a thread how game used baseballs all look alike and why collect them, and I must apologize as I now started to collect them. I'll post some and how I label the ball cube...

Swoboda4
02-18-2016, 10:59 PM
I'll buy a pitch in the dirt (one guy on ebay that's all he sells apparently)if its the pitcher I'm interested in but I look for a great catch first(baseball), a hit second. I document as much as I can with the ball by reading the MLB hologram authentication info, I then watch the half inning on MLB TV which goes back years for every game, a necessity if you want to know everything about the ball. But when searching I plug in "GAME USED BASEBALL CATCH" then "HIT" or "HOLOGRAM" or "PITCH". You got to weed through the sellers who mostly don't sell these things full time. The labels I type small (8) on word perfect (Blue and 12 for MLB Hologram #), print them out, cut them and place scotch tape over them then on cube. I'm not using that much ink and I cut and place the unused paper back in the printer.

Roady
02-20-2016, 08:54 PM
You guys are right and if the bat hit the ball (foul) the word "hit" is used to help with ebay search engine. If you correctly put GAME USED BASEBALL everything but baseballs comes up, if you add just "ball" the same. But if you add "hit", "pitch" or "catch" the search results become clearer. Correct foul is more accurate but I've never searched foul in looking for game used balls on ebay. I wrote in a thread how game used baseballs all look alike and why collect them, and I must apologize as I now started to collect them. I'll post some and how I label the ball cube...
That is the reason sellers don't say foul instead of hit. Because nobody would look at it.
Not many people looking for pitches in the dirt or foul balls.

Roady
02-20-2016, 08:55 PM
I'll buy a pitch in the dirt (one guy on ebay that's all he sells apparently)if its the pitcher I'm interested in but I look for a great catch first(baseball), a hit second. I document as much as I can with the ball by reading the MLB hologram authentication info, I then watch the half inning on MLB TV which goes back years for every game, a necessity if you want to know everything about the ball. But when searching I plug in "GAME USED BASEBALL CATCH" then "HIT" or "HOLOGRAM" or "PITCH". You got to weed through the sellers who mostly don't sell these things full time. The labels I type small (8) on word perfect (Blue and 12 for MLB Hologram #), print them out, cut them and place scotch tape over them then on cube. I'm not using that much ink and I cut and place the unused paper back in the printer.
I can understand that. Nice collection

64SHEA
02-21-2016, 04:10 PM
I don't think you can blame them too much, teams on MLB auction do the same thing. There is a Wright ball up now, but it was a pitch into the dirt. Who cares who was in the batters box?

Juicyfruit66
02-21-2016, 05:57 PM
I think it matters. It's all about having the ball from that moment in time. Picture the standoff between pitcher and batter, the catcher giving signals, the tension....then the pitch in the dirt. Now you got a ball with tons of authentic home plate field dirt caked on as well. On another note, is it sometimes possible to buy a pitch in the dirt ball that had been used in a big play the batter prior? Like do the the umps change the ball each batter or could you get a pitch in dirt but watch the tape and realize it was a line drive out earlier?

Buccaneer Madden
02-21-2016, 07:43 PM
I don't think they change for each batter... you always see "in play balls" tossed back to the pitcher for the next batter.

TBM
02-22-2016, 01:05 AM
You really have to be careful when looking at the headlines in any auction. The headlines are there for only one thing, to get your attention. The same tactic is used in newspapers, magazines, online adds, websites, and any general advertising. When your limited on space in a headline you put what people are looking for. The rest you put in the body of the description where there is way more space to give details.

I don't mind buying foul balls now and then under the right circumstances but I really don't care for pitch in dirt balls or past balls. I have a 2015 post season GU ball from ALDS game 2 Astros at Royals. Cueto to Correa and foul tipped back to the screen. It was way cheaper than the $1000 balls that went into play. Now I have a ball from a 10 pitcher and a ROY from the postseason all in one ball. I was at the game and it was advertised as a foul ball.

The sad thing was that during that ALDS game 2 the Royals Authentic's store only put out foul balls, pitches in dirt, past balls, etc... I did not ever see a ball that actually went into play as a hit or out. Those I only saw online going for thousands of dollars.

Roady
02-22-2016, 04:18 PM
I think most teams, or maybe it's MLB, have went way overboard with collecting every ball they can to sell.
There is a glut of passed balls, foul balls, and balls in the dirt out there from most teams.