PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Greg Maddux Atlanta Braves jersey in Goldin

wjyoung1575
01-29-2016, 09:07 PM
First off, I want to say that I contacted Mr. Goldin about my concerns with the jersey before making this post. He responded to my email quickly and stated that the jersey passed their inspection process and they were comfortable authenticating it as game used.

I wanted to get a couple more opinions from fellow Braves collectors on the 2000 Greg Maddux jersey in the current auction. I believe this jersey is not an authentic team issued Atlanta Braves road gray jersey. The way that the jersey is sewn at the shoulders and sleeves does not match a single photo on Getty Images from the 2000 season. Not only are there no images of Maddux wearing a road gray jersey cut this way, there is not a single picture of any Braves player wearing a road gray jersey cut this way. I have attached a screenshot from the auction page as well as a photo of Maddux from Getty Images to better illustrate what I believe to be the problem.

I would like to hear other opinions though. Thanks

KGoldin
01-29-2016, 11:25 PM
We forwarded your comments to Dave miedema as well as another persons photos.
Dave replied he had seen authentic game used examples of th e stitches that you refer to as retail, and the jersey had even wear.
I will be in the office tomorrow and will discuss again and evaluate any other information given to us to evaluate prior to auction close

grandeleague
01-30-2016, 11:18 AM
Wilson, I would expect to see a "1-00" tag on a 2000 braves jersey or a "2-00" with the one and two denoting set numbers.

Phil316
01-30-2016, 11:36 AM
Wilson, I would expect to see a "1-00" tag on a 2000 braves jersey or a "2-00" with the one and two denoting set numbers.

I agree.

I am also having trouble finding any Braves players with the retail shoulder seams.

The only other 2000 that I have seen is a home jersey tagged a 46 and tagged "4-00" on the lower front. That came with a Braves COA.

KGoldin
01-30-2016, 11:50 AM
We have gotten an additional photo and sent to Dave M
we want to get to the correct decision ASAP and at worst, will give the winner 30 days to do additional research prior to completing a sale.
job is to get it right.
hoping to hear back from dave shortly

Chess2899
01-30-2016, 12:06 PM
I can't comment on the 2000 jersey because I only have a couple.
However if the retail stitching is the issue, I have jerseys with that specific stitching especially in 1995 and 1993. I bought the Maddux jerseys directly off his back at the All-Star games so that is what he wore. I will look through my collection today and see if I have any of those in 1999, 2000 or 2001. Dave knows his Maddux jerseys very well.

grandeleague
01-30-2016, 01:10 PM
I can't comment on the 2000 jersey because I only have a couple.
However if the retail stitching is the issue, I have jerseys with that specific stitching especially in 1995 and 1993. I bought the Maddux jerseys directly off his back at the All-Star games so that is what he wore. I will look through my collection today and see if I have any of those in 1999, 2000 or 2001. Dave knows his Maddux jerseys very well.

Thats correct. The braves have worn retail jerseys in the tomahawk era (1987-present). However, for the sake of this discussion I believe the focus of this needs to start with that year tag. At the very least it is a tagging anomaly, and it is completely inconsistent with what should be considered a textbook tag for a 2000 braves jersey that being the "1-00" tagging. The braves started using set tags in 1999 and between then and now there was one year and one year only where it is appropriate to find a braves jersey that does not have a set number as part of the appropriate tagging. That year was 2004 in which case a "2004" tag is appropriate.

Phil316
01-30-2016, 01:58 PM
http://apr13.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=55520

Here is the home version.

It is a size 46 not 44.

KGoldin
01-30-2016, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the additional info
as this is the last day, I cant wait for Dave to get back to me so I pulled the jersey.
if it can be proven authentic it will return in a future auction with a photo match.

grandeleague
01-30-2016, 04:21 PM
http://apr13.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=55520

Here is the home version.

It is a size 46 not 44.

Original, IMO

grandeleague
01-30-2016, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the additional info
as this is the last day, I cant wait for Dave to get back to me so I pulled the jersey.
if it can be proven authentic it will return in a future auction with a photo match.

Ken
You are a good man for doing that and a asset to the hobby. I hate speaking out about items that are not mine and would not have done so had i not believed that the tagging is incorrect on the jersey.I believe the folks on this forum got it right and properly evaluated the jersey.I believe that whomever constructed this jersey did not do their homework and had the year and set tag all wrong. These early 2000's russell braves jerseys can be real chore to trouble shoot and I dont have a horse in the race but i close in saying that I would be suspicious of any braves jersey from that year without a set indicator on the tag.

grandeleague
01-30-2016, 05:42 PM
Original, IMO

I should also add that when someone sees black sharpie notations written on braves russell jerseys in the early 2000's like the maddux referenced here that usually indicates the jersey originally was issued with a COA from the braves and was meant to be worn and then pulled and sold. Also, the markings on the tag sometimes indicate a specific game a jersey was to be worn in and subsequently sold.