PDA

View Full Version : Any Rick Monday G/U items? 40th Anniv.

Swoboda4
01-08-2016, 06:11 AM
With the 40th anniversary of Rick Monday saving the American flag from being burned in the Dodger Stadium outfield this season (April 25), I'm wondering if anyone has anything Rick Monday game used? Rick, who will be 80 years old that day made the most memorable non-game play that I can think of. These are the only items I have of this great play.

ironmanfan
01-08-2016, 07:29 AM
neat items although Rick is only 70 years old......I figured he couldn't have been 40 when that incident happened since he played years afterwards..

Swoboda4
01-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Ironmanfan, I'm very happy to find myself wrong about Rick's age. No more so than Rick would. I vaguely remember it as a kid, and I'm more fascinated by it now.

metsbats
01-09-2016, 12:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZzeEaBHUBM

For those who are too young to remember:)

Misha
01-10-2016, 11:24 PM
814231970 jersey. NOB restored by Lon Lewis

Misha
01-10-2016, 11:25 PM
Back

01-11-2016, 03:43 AM
I kept one of Rick's cracked Louisville Slugger bats from his days with the Cubs, along with a home Dodgers game used jersey, Dodgers batting glove and Dodgers uncracked batting helmet, all acquired about 1980.

Tom

Juicyfruit66
01-11-2016, 11:06 PM
The 1981 National League Championship Series was a best-of-five series between the first-half West Division champion Los Angeles Dodgers and the second-half East Division champion Montreal Expos. The Dodgers won the NLCS three games to two over the Expos, thanks to a ninth-inning home run in Game 5 by Rick Monday in what has ever since been referred to as Blue Monday by Expos fans. It was the first postseason appearance for the Expos, and their only appearance during their time in Montreal (the team moved to Washington, DC in 2005, becoming the Washington Nationals).

Juicyfruit66
01-11-2016, 11:07 PM
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/R7UlrLlKg0A

Swoboda4
01-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Juicyfruit66 thanks, those were some tall outfield walls. Misha, what a great jersey. It's too easy to get a jersey these days, and expensive. I may go back to hunting out old school game used. 012562, -1980, you were collecting before the game used boom hit. Imagine asking Mantle for a broken bat and as he hands it to you- instead of throwing it in the garbage pail-he smiles and says," Why do you want a cracked bat for?"

Swoboda4
01-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Anyway, I got on a Rick Monday kick and thought what he did by saving the American flag was special, aside from being an all-star. So I started collecting all his Topps cards signed. Having trouble with finding 70,71,72, and 75. I brought this up before but adding other memorabilia to game used items enhances the collection (as we've seen with other members rooms).

Juicyfruit66
01-12-2016, 02:00 PM
I was taught as a kid that Monday destroyed the expos big chance (I was only 3 haha).

I think I get greater appreciation out of the bats I collect from the 70s-2004 because it wasn't an over authenticated market. I go to ball games now and watch each ball and bat be handed off to a guy who writes down when it was used and by who....kind of takes away from the mystique of getting a broken gamer who's history isn't known without some background done, photo matching, etc. I guess I can compare it to card collecting boom in 90s where it became less about rarity but more about "created rarity", like special editions and signature series etc.

Swoboda4
01-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Exactly. And the new hologram air tight collecting also comes with a very big price tag. So last night, with what I know as a collector, I picked up a great Sheffield G/U bat and a Cliff Floyd G/U jersey both in the $200 range. Today, if both were still playing the jersey would have been $800 and the bat $300-400 from a team authentics shop.

Juicyfruit66
01-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Its cool to find a player to collect who's not the norm. I only got in the game used bat kick a few years ago but find it very fun to seek out bats from my old expos stars, the hunt is exciting. I'm by no means an expert on game used stuff but the abundance of locker plates, tbc one day jerseys, and straight to MLB shop authentics seems like kind of a warning sign the bubble will burst. The old stuff will always be worth what it is but I can picture multiple, multiple gamers from certain stars just flooding the market rendering them almost worthless in comparison. But I may be wrong, I'm by no means an expert (I just remember seeing the card companies do it and look how that turned out).

Swoboda4
01-13-2016, 12:12 AM
You never know who ends up being an Expo (Daniel Murphy included) I'm only realizing it with these photo enlargements, but Swoboda's hat on the card,was painted to be an Expos cap. Love to have that original photo negative from Topps. We're dangerously close to becoming a non game used topic:

Swoboda4
01-13-2016, 07:44 AM
Let me stop after this as I've highjacked my own thread. The ticket to the very last Expos game for which I was present. Tom Glavine pitched. Mike Piazza played first base. Rookie David Wright hit his 14th HR ever. It was also Todd Zeile's last game in which he hit a home run(253 HR life time, to D.Wrights current 235 HR now). In the next at bat he was introduced, went to the plate,and then taken out of the game to applause never saw that before. Endy Chavez played on the Expos that game.

Juicyfruit66
01-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Omg!! You have the expos last game ever ticket! Haha I own their first home opener ticket from 1969. I found a Chavez Montreal expos bat last year and want to tell myself it was used in the expos's final out (he was the last out). Once again, lack of MLB stickers makes my dream a possibility until proven yay or nay :)

*i think matbe we've turned convo into game used again

Juicyfruit66
01-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Pic

Swoboda4
01-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Not knowing for sure if the bat was used or not isn't that bad. In the words of Jim Williams (Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil) as played by Kevin Spacey, as he answered John Cusack's character who asked 'How will you know what the painting is obscuring? (Williams had an important painting that was an "overpaint" Painted over probably another important painting that Williams refused to investigate further). Williams replied, "I rather enjoy not knowing." Kind of like paying a premium for an unopened pack of baseball cards from a year of great rookies.

sox83cubs84
01-13-2016, 08:49 PM
You never know who ends up being an Expo (Daniel Murphy included) I'm only realizing it with these photo enlargements, but Swoboda's hat on the card,was painted to be an Expos cap. Love to have that original photo negative from Topps. We're dangerously close to becoming a non game used topic:

In the 1971 Topps set's last 2 series, blatant airburshing was evident on numerous photos, the Swoboda being one of many. Even making this more obvious are the pinstriped jersey (the Expos didn't wear home pinstriped uniforms until 1992) and the Shea Stadium background.

Dave Miedema

sox83cubs84
01-19-2016, 11:46 PM
There's a GU, UC H&B 1977-79 label Monday bat (from Dodgers) on eBay until 11:57 AM on the 21st. Opening bid is $99.99, and so far, no bids.

Dave Miedema

Swoboda4
01-20-2016, 12:39 AM
I'll take a look. Thanks Dave.

Swoboda4
01-20-2016, 12:47 AM
That takes care of that. Thanks again Dave.