PDA

View Full Version : Ty Cobb bat Mears.

yanks12025
12-05-2015, 05:58 PM
Just curious what you guys think of this bat. Ty Cobbs records DO NOT show him ordering 35 inch bats, yet they describe it as being acceptable for what he ordered.

I asked Troy about it and here's what he had to say.

"Thanks for the email, always glad to discuss bats. Actually, 34" and 35" are acceptable lengths for Cobb bats. Regarding factory records, the complete records do not start until 1930, so the majority of Cobb bat were recorded by weight only. There is a famous article where Cobb stated he used 34 1/2" bats, but I do not believe that was meant to mean there were zero exceptions. If you would ever like to discuss Ty Cobb bat records, I would be happy to take the time. It is much too involved for an email, but I would be happy to discuss it over the phone.

This article should help support our position.

http://www.mearsonline.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,print,0&cntnt01articleid=300&cntnt01showtemplate=false"

All I thought Troy should do was at least put it in the listing that the records that are know do not show Cobb ordering 35 inch bats. Then they can go on about the photographic evidence and the missing orders. I can't find the link but mears sold another 35 inch bat like this one and in that listing they mentioned how Cobb didn't order 35 inches and gave reasons why the bat could have been used by Cobb. But this listing makes zero mention.

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/1921_28_Ty_Cobb_Tigers_Athletics_H_B_Louisivlle_Sl-LOT93460.aspx

yanks12025
12-05-2015, 06:03 PM
Also I guess before the bat was sent to mears, it was sent to hunts to have hem look at it and they called it a index bat.

mears
12-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Brock,

That was a very misleading post on GUF. If you read my entire response to your first email, the article I quoted to you illustrated how Cobb used bats longer than 34.5", and was supported by period images of him doing so.

That article, and the research included with that article, was the basis for MEARS to accept 35" as a length appropriate for Ty Cobb game used bats.

Also, the tool room Ty Cobb bat list him using a 34" bat. I have never personally seen the Ty Cobb record showing him ordered 34.5" bats. I don't believe anybody. His bat are recorded via weight during that era, the records are very incomplete. The 34.5" length was determined from an interview and side written / vault marked examples that enter the hobby.

Although some subscribe to the theory that if the bat cannot be found in factory records, it isn't good, that is not the position taken by MEARS during the past 12 years. We use all of the research that we have gathered, and often that research cannot be found in factory records.

Additionally, here is another set of research, not included in factory records, provided via a research project conducted by Dave Grob. In the article, it stated,

On May 5, 1924, Ty ordered a new model. This style was the same, except that this bat was slightly smaller and, at 35 ounces, lighter than his old model. Later that summer Ty returned to a 38 ounce version of his original stick. The following June he placed another order. Again it was similar in style to the 1911 bat, only this time the barrel was slightly smaller and the end had been sawed. The effect was a nearly squared end bat that was a quarter inch shorter. Cobb used this 34 inch, 40 oz club for a while, then switched to his lighter 1924 model for the balance of his career with Detroit. He returned to his 1911 model after he signed with Philadelphia in 1927, typically employing 37 and 38 ounce versions for his final two seaso

http://www.mearsonline.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,print,0&cntnt01articleid=624&cntnt01showtemplate=false&cntnt01returnid=98

This article supports Cobb as using 34” bats, again, a deviation from 34.5”.

Finally, here is the article by Dave Grob with through the use of imagery analysis, he discovered Cobb using a bat 38” long, again not supported by factory records.

http://www.mearsonline.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,print,0&cntnt01articleid=300&cntnt01showtemplate=false&cntnt01returnid=98

As I have always stated, collect to your personal authentication standards. In this case, I am confident the Ty Cobb bat is a professional model and worthy of the grade.

Regards,

Troy