PDA

View Full Version : Greg Maddux GU Jersey Grey Flannel

Chess2899
12-04-2015, 10:40 PM
This Maddux is offered by Grey Flannel. I was curious why a 90s Home jersey was not a Wilson. Dave M. confirmed that the Rawlings tag is 93' or 94' and that Rawlings didn't do Braves home uniforms until 2000.

It really bothers me that so many auction houses fail to do any research.

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/1990s_Greg_Maddux_Atlanta_Braves_Game_Used___Autog-LOT34593.aspx

sox83cubs84
12-04-2015, 11:02 PM
This Maddux is offered by Grey Flannel. I was curious why a 90s Home jersey was not a Wilson. Dave M. confirmed that the Rawlings tag is 93' or 94' and that Rawlings didn't do Braves home uniforms until 2000.

It really bothers me that so many auction houses fail to do any research.

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/1990s_Greg_Maddux_Atlanta_Braves_Game_Used___Autog-LOT34593.aspx

That's Russell, not Rawlings. I'd have to see a game photo of Maddux from the mid-1990s with a Russell home jersey on before I'd accept that as a gamer.

Dave Miedema

Phil316
12-04-2015, 11:43 PM
[quote=Chess2899;387914]It really bothers me that so many auction houses fail to do any research./quote]

I could not agree more. These auctions by Gray Flannel are very poorly researched OR maybe they are just taking the consignors word on items.

It is really the complete opposite of say Goldin Auctions. These cats from Goldin do the research and if something doesn't look right they will not have any part of it.

I honestly think we are seeing the "fall from grace" of Gray Flannel as one of the top auctions houses. It is like they just don't care about authenticity and are just after a dollar.

Cardsryan11
12-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Greyflannel doesn't know their items they claim to have a Nolan Ryan game used jersey but isn't goodman and sons it's obviously not game worn.

grandeleague
12-05-2015, 10:47 AM
What year was the jersey alleged to be from?

Chess2899
12-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Grey Flannel classified it as a "90s jersey". Grey Flannel pulled it from the auction today.

danesei@yahoo.com
12-05-2015, 07:05 PM
I thought Grey Flannel was subpoenaed (not indicted) for questionable items and practices semi-recently.

As for vetting items, I don't like how Grey Flannel is essentially the market leader (thanks to All Star Dealers) as far as the public is concerned, as they do a bad job of both verifying basics and customer follow-up.

As for Goldin, they make mistakes, too, but are pretty responsive when items are questioned. I like that aspect.

grandeleague
12-06-2015, 02:14 AM
Grey Flannel classified it as a "90s jersey". Grey Flannel pulled it from the auction today.

A braves home wilson jersey from 1987-1999 can be pinpointed to a specific year via the year tag. Road jerseys can be pinpointed from 1987-1992 with year tags. The braves broke in Russell road jerseys in 1993 starting with a road series against the cubs. There is no such things as a "90s" braves home jersey. That is total rubbish. There was genuine Russell and rawlings blue batting practice jerseys in use from 1991-1993. I had a 1991 Kent mercker batting practice jersey from Russell with "91" year tag sold via the braves back when they sold jerseys in bulk back in the 1990's even though the braves used mainly rawlings for bp jerseys before switching to russell although most bp jerseys from 1991-1992 had no year tag.
Bottom line: there are several tagging and manufacturer variations in the early 1990s bp jerseys but a year tag should date any potential home Wilson from 1987-1999.

PS: here is a trivia question for braves collectors. Is a year tag appropriate for a 1993 road russell game used jersey?

grandeleague
12-06-2015, 02:28 AM
That's Russell, not Rawlings. I'd have to see a game photo of Maddux from the mid-1990s with a Russell home jersey on before I'd accept that as a gamer.

Dave Miedema

I think all of us will be in a wooden box six feet under before we see a photo of maddux in a Russell home jersey circa 1993-1999.

Just when we think we have it all figured out try this on for size. There exists in this hobby a chipper jones home Willson jersey from 1993 when he was #64 in spring training if my failing memory holds. The year tag was in the same spot for any home wilson jersey of the period but the size and laundry tag was in the neck!!! Can't be most would say. Not so. It was sold by the team. I would give a pretty penny for the current owner of that jersey to even let us see it again after all these years. The way that jersey was tagged would rock the boat for what we think we know about early 1990's braves jerseys.

sox83cubs84
12-06-2015, 07:11 PM
A braves home wilson jersey from 1987-1999 can be pinpointed to a specific year via the year tag. Road jerseys can be pinpointed from 1987-1992 with year tags. The braves broke in Russell road jerseys in 1993 starting with a road series against the cubs. There is no such things as a "90s" braves home jersey. That is total rubbish. There was genuine Russell and rawlings blue batting practice jerseys in use from 1991-1993. I had a 1991 Kent mercker batting practice jersey from Russell with "91" year tag sold via the braves back when they sold jerseys in bulk back in the 1990's even though the braves used mainly rawlings for bp jerseys before switching to russell although most bp jerseys from 1991-1992 had no year tag.
Bottom line: there are several tagging and manufacturer variations in the early 1990s bp jerseys but a year tag should date any potential home Wilson from 1987-1999.

PS: here is a trivia question for braves collectors. Is a year tag appropriate for a 1993 road russell game used jersey?

I recall that Braves/Cubs series...I was at all three games. That series carried one of the sillier but more humorous moments of the season. A female fan in the 1st base side boxes at the opener (where Maddux pitched) threw back a foul ball (not a HR) hit by Maddux and became a celebrity, albeit briefly. I tracked her down and sent her one of the 3 BP baseballs I hawked at the opener. She contacted me, thanked me profusely, and even mentioned my gift during a radio interview. Unfortunately, she might have seen it as more than just a gift from one Cubs fan to another, as she invited me to come by her seats (she had season tickets) at an upcoming game and said she'd buy me a drink. Sensing the possible intentions, I told her I'd stop by if my wife came with. Never heard from her again.:rolleyes:

Dave Miedema