PDA

View Full Version : Using game used gear???

alainbou
12-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Hello everyone
This may be a stupid question but I’m curious: do you use your used game gear??? Did you hit a ball with a game used bat that belonged to your favorite player? Do you wear a player’s game used jersey? Or is it to precious to even think such a thing?
I’d like to have your opinion…
Alain

sportsnbikes
12-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Hello everyone
This may be a stupid question but I’m curious: do you use your used game gear??? Did you hit a ball with a game used bat that belonged to your favorite player? Do you wear a player’s game used jersey? Or is it to precious to even think such a thing?
I’d like to have your opinion…
Alain

Not a chance. And when I see someone wearing a game used jersey, it drives me nuts. I saw a guy wearing a Jermaine Dye Game Used Jersey at ALDS game 1 in KC this year. I just wanted to go offer to buy it and properly pay homage by displaying it.

metsbats
12-04-2015, 09:22 AM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=65380&highlight=wearing+game

Here's a thread on this topic.

lengthwise1
12-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Yep, I rock my jerseys at games all the time. Not crazy big ticket items, but I get lots of comments and I'm known around Coors Field for it.

3arod13
12-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Never! Never! and Never!

HawaiiSportsNut
12-04-2015, 02:15 PM
HECK NO! But that's me. Although I don't like the idea of someone wearing a game used item, they own it so it's their choice to do whatever they want to do with it.

CampWest
12-04-2015, 02:37 PM
In limited specific scenarios I am okay with certain exceptions, however, no, this should not generally be acceptable - definitely not for a quality piece.

My preferred tactic when I see people wearing game used jerseys is to go tell them what that item sold for at auction recently. Then I usually follow that up with, "So, try not to spill any mustard on it"

3arod13
12-04-2015, 02:41 PM
I want the item used by the player and that's it. And if someone does decide to wear the item, then is should never be sold as a game used jersey.

geoff
12-04-2015, 02:57 PM
I hate it when I see someone wear a game used jersey. I would never do it. Or anything game used as well.

Juicyfruit66
12-04-2015, 03:37 PM
I do it if the player is a nobody but I want to rock the team jersey at a game (example a expos jersey with a crap player on it). You can't buy new expos jerseys so its the only way to wear legit gear. It's better than wearing a majestic garbage retail jersey. If it were a Larry walker or a Alou I'd never wear it, I'd display it.

sox83cubs84
12-04-2015, 11:15 PM
One game used item (fortunately, not a jersey) that I wore met it's demise during one of my hospital stays earlier this year. Because of health concerns, the nursing staff insisted on washing all the clothes I wore into the hospital when I was placed in a bed. This included a game-used Carlos Zambrano Cubs belt which I wore to keep my pants on firmly.

The staff did not remove the belt before laundering, and when the pants came back (they were fine), the belt, sadly, was ruined beyond salvaging. Oh, well....

Dave Miedema

joshmiller0
12-05-2015, 07:42 AM
I wear 4 items out of the 70 or so in my collection.. I really wanted authentic NBA shorts, but they retail at $150. I bought Tyshaun Taylor - no name player - Nets authentic shorts for $50, Mason Plumlee nets issued shorts for 50, and shumpert knicks shorts for 50... all 3 were the same as one pair... so I wear them around the house and whatnot.. I love shumpert so it's cool wearing what he wore on the court... Then I have an issued christmas shooting shirt I spent 30 on.... i couldn't get them in the store anymore, so opted to just buy an issued one.. other than that, i wouldn't dare to wear my other items other than putting them on to see how they fit me vs the players...

joshmiller0
12-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Not a chance. And when I see someone wearing a game used jersey, it drives me nuts. I saw a guy wearing a Jermaine Dye Game Used Jersey at ALDS game 1 in KC this year. I just wanted to go offer to buy it and properly pay homage by displaying it.

I know in the NBA the game worn jerseys are sometimes cheaper than retail.. and usually better quality... maybe it's better than what I have which is a bunch of jerseys in the closet in a bin...

Copa
12-05-2015, 10:00 AM
I've purchased game used/issued hockey gloves and sticks in the past, strictly for the purpose of using them...when I can get a professional grade product for less than what I would pay off the shelf at a pro shop, I put the sentimental value aside...keep in mind, I'm talking about items from scrub players, no one of significant value.

Jim65
12-05-2015, 06:21 PM
I used to wear my Devils gamers to games but I stopped a long time ago.

Trublubrucru
12-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Why not? With the huge glut of modern jerseys being pumped out by teams, I see more and more gamers being worn at games each year. I counted 15 different jerseys in a season for a team, multiply that by 30 (25 players,5 coaches) and at least 2 sets of home and road and you are over 500 jerseys a season. A far cry from 2 or 3 sets of home and road from the old days. They are readily available and cheap(thanks to overproduction). At clubhouse sales(this past weekend) I saw many jerseys in the $75 dollar range.
Ill fitting retail jerseys can even be more, so why not?

Of course, important jerseys, stars, and vintage ones are not to be worn by me,
but I've worn a '96 Bob Wickman to 2or3 games a year for 19 years and wash it everytime, and looks as good as the day I bought it, and would never sell it.

Overproduction by teams has seriously flooded the market, lowering demand and value prices, and I don't see how wearing a common jersey could be a bad thing

memorabiliaunlimited
12-07-2015, 02:36 PM
i sell a bunch of jerseys, and very frequently, especially with basketball jerseys (and other various items), i am asked what the length and chest width of the jersey is because the prospective buyer intends to wear the jersey. this has ranged in price from $200-$1000+. it drives me NUTS when people say they want to wear what i am selling them, but to each their own. what is more concerning is if these people are going to try and resell the jersey after wearing it.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
12-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Back in high school I bought team issued cleats from a pretty big player to wear them. Same size and really nice quality. They looked cool and he also had the same number as me so I thought it was cool.