PDA

View Full Version : Please explain "removed nameplate"

alainbou
12-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Hello everyone
I want to bid on a vintage Montreal Expos jersey. Here’s the link.
https://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=93056

What is the meaning of this phrase:” Outline of removed nameplate visible on reverse indicating jersey likely saw extended organizational use following Almon's stint with the team. “
Does this mean that it was Almon’s jersey but another player wore it after him and then somebody put back the Almon’s name on the jersey? I don’t understand…
Thanks for your help

swainer
12-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Back then, most teams recycled their jerseys to the minor leagues. Sometimes instead of removing the original name and replacing it with another player, they would make up a nameplate with the new player's name and place the name plate over the original name. So once the name plate is removed, the original name is underneath. I have a 1983 Tigers Aurelio Lopez jersey like this.

Hope this helps!

Peace,

John

sox83cubs84
12-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Back then, most teams recycled their jerseys to the minor leagues. Sometimes instead of removing the original name and replacing it with another player, they would make up a nameplate with the new player's name and place the name plate over the original name. So once the name plate is removed, the original name is underneath. I have a 1983 Tigers Aurelio Lopez jersey like this.

Hope this helps!

Peace,

John

True, and this practice was rather common for early 1980s Expos gamers that were recycled in their farm system.

Dave Miedema

alainbou
12-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys!

h8uf
12-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Whom do you guys suggest to refurbish jerseys so they have a nameplate? Is there a company more renowned for football over baseball or the other way around? Suggestions please.

sox83cubs84
12-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Whom do you guys suggest to refurbish jerseys so they have a nameplate? Is there a company more renowned for football over baseball or the other way around? Suggestions please.

I'm not sure of his contact information, but Lon Lewis out in the Bay Area is as good as it gets with baseball restorations.

Dave M.