PDA

View Full Version : Looking for collectors from Canada

alainbou
11-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone
Any collectors from Canada out there? I'm interested to hear if you're buying less because of the weak canadian dollar...I'm new to the hobby (I'm a Montreal Expos collector) but adding 30% to every price i see is hard to swallow! Also, i'd like to hear your tips about shipping cost to Canada. I recently bought a Pete Rose autographed baseball from Heritage Auctions. They ship with Fed Ex so i had to pay 20$ extra for brokerage fee! That hurts!!!
Alain

sox83cubs84
11-30-2015, 07:00 PM
I'm from the Chicago area in the US, and I've not had a problem sending items to Canada. There are means by phone and Internet here of getting postage rates based on weight and type of shipment. I'd never turn down a Canadian buyer, all factors being equal.

Dave Miedema

alainbou
11-30-2015, 09:49 PM
Hello Dave
I guess my post wasn't clear...I'm the one living in Canada. The canadian dollar is so weak that it's very expensive for us Canadians to buy things south of the border. As for the shipping cost, it's also very expensive to have something shipped to Canada.
Alain

JDubbs73
12-04-2015, 12:14 PM
I'm stateside, but have heard the same thing from many of the Canadian hockey collectors I know or have dealt with. The exchange rate is one thing (and is certainly affecting sales/trades), but the postage is extreme. The last deal I completed cost me (and the seller) CAD$50 to ship to Florida with tracking, and that was post (not express).

danesei@yahoo.com
12-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Hello Dave
I guess my post wasn't clear...I'm the one living in Canada. The canadian dollar is so weak that it's very expensive for us Canadians to buy things south of the border. As for the shipping cost, it's also very expensive to have something shipped to Canada.
Alain
Hi Alain. User MikeKam is from Canada. Outside of that, US to Canada shipping isn't the problem, it's the tax system. The shipping itself is quite affordable. The problem is your system of provincial and municipal taxes, which can add upward of 20% to the overall cost.

Mirguy05
12-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Alain, I feel your pain. I am a Canadian collector as well (but relocated to Chicago from Toronto three years ago, which helps!). I'm not sure how close you are to the US border, but what I used when I lived in T.O. was a US mailbox service. Had my items shipped there when I could (I know of one place in Niagara Falls NY that changed $5 a box for example) and drove down once every 6-8 weeks to pick up my packages, do a little grocery shopping etc. That certainly took some of the sting off the customs fees/exorbitant shipping some places charged. Hope that's helpful.

Juicyfruit66
01-03-2016, 07:16 PM
I'm Canadian but I only sell and buy in USA currency and I ship and receive USA items in the USA at my usps po box (I live right near border). I've noticed a huge drop in my expos items not being sold in Canada compared to when the dollar was strong. There's still enough random expos fans in the states to buy my stuff but the weak dollar definitely affected the market. The great thing is when I sell to Canadians I ship from my house in Canada and the buyer avoids all the customs taxes and fees.

Juicyfruit66
01-03-2016, 07:17 PM
Alain I had sent you replies on all my expos items months ago but you never got back to me. rcmp69@hotmail.com