PDA

View Full Version : How to Identify when a batting helmet was made

mailman93
01-24-2007, 04:58 PM
I was wondering if anybody could tell me, how to identify when a batting helmet was made or used. I heard about the circle stamped in the inside, but don't know how to decode it. thanks Dan

JRocker49
01-24-2007, 05:19 PM
i dont have a helmet in front of me but from what i can remember the arrows point at numbers and you can turn those numbers into a month and a year

kylehess10
01-24-2007, 06:54 PM
I too have some stinky hats. I put them in a cheap plastic case that I get from my local card store for only $11

kylehess10
01-24-2007, 06:55 PM
I too have some stinky hats. I put them in a cheap plastic case that I get from my local card store for only $11

huh??? I was replying to another post and it came here??? That's weird

ripkengamers
01-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Decoding helmet date wheels is more of an art than a science especially those made prior to ABC putting the arrows on the date wheels sometime in the early 90's. Prior to the arrows ABC used a series of dots in the pie shaped number wheel which was supposed to date the mfg of the helmet. SCD had an article a number of years back which tried to explain it. I had a poor quality photocopy of the article which I can't seem to find at the moment but if anyone on the forum happens to have and remember this article I'd love to have a copy myself. Hopefully someone on the fourm can come through!

hblakewolf
01-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Forum Readers-
The story in SCD that Dan references was not accurate. The information did not prove true, especially with the dozens of pre-1990 helmets I had at the time. According to the author's information, helmets that the Phillies wore in 1986 and I obtained directly at the conclusion of the 1986 season, were manufactured several years AFTER 1986. How this possibly be?

I've heard several thoughts on it, however, nothing has ever actually been proven to be fact.

To this day, I have never known any individuals who can "break the ABC code of dots".

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

camarokids
03-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi there,

I have a Greg Vaughn 2000 Devil Rays helmet and in the date wheel is a 97 and the arrow points to the 10 .

So, I assume the shell was made in October of 1997 . Then the Devil Rays were shipped the helmets shortly after that , in time for Spring Training ???

Vaughn started playing with the Devil Rays in 2000.

Is it common for the helmet to have been made in late 1997 and then not issued to a player for a couple of seasons .

I have listed the helmet for sale and was asked about the date wheel . Which I have never looked at prior to today......So I am a little confused .....

Thanks for your help in advance !

staindsox
03-18-2008, 03:47 PM
I own two batting helmets, but I don't trust the wheel on them at all. Both are 06 helmets with the arrow pointing to 6 as well. Is that a June 2006 production date then? If that is the case, then there is a problem because I have photomatched the helmets to games that were played before the date on the wheel. One of them was used in the 2005 season, but the helmet has a 2006 wheel. Any thoughts on this one?

Chris

island_style
03-19-2008, 04:27 AM
Hi there,

I have a Greg Vaughn 2000 Devil Rays helmet and in the date wheel is a 97 and the arrow points to the 10 .

So, I assume the shell was made in October of 1997 . Then the Devil Rays were shipped the helmets shortly after that , in time for Spring Training ???

Vaughn started playing with the Devil Rays in 2000.

Is it common for the helmet to have been made in late 1997 and then not issued to a player for a couple of seasons .

I have listed the helmet for sale and was asked about the date wheel . Which I have never looked at prior to today......So I am a little confused .....

Thanks for your help in advance !

Hi, David.

I've seen this before, as well. I had several Dodger helmets a few years ago that I obtained directly from the team. All of the clocks indicated the helmets were made a couple years earlier.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

sarahsdad
03-19-2008, 05:33 PM
I have been reading with great interest on this topic and admit it is somewhat perplexing that there is so much difficulty with determining the date a helmet was manufactured. Back in 2003 I received directly from the Florida Marlins a game used, autographed Miguel Cabrera batting helmet. Along with the helmet came a letter of authenticity from the Marlins, on their letterhead attesting to the authenticity of this piece. When I looked inside the helmet the wheel that most of us go by to date a helmet read 08 (August) 06 (2006). Remember I received this helmet in 2003. No way it was made in August of 2006!! I did some informal research on this and how to determine the date on helmets. I was told that the "Real" date stamp is under the pad at the top of the helmet and that you have to rip out the center pad to see the true manufacture date. I am a collector of game used helmets and I would never think of ripping out the center pad to see the manufacturer date. Talk about ruining the value of an item. Hope this helps.
sarahsdad