PDA

View Full Version : Auction does NOT want to close

KGoldin
11-15-2015, 02:39 AM
This may be a record night time wise
have not seen this much bidding before 2-3 am before , at least not PRIOR to sending out final warning message
stay tuned and stay on top of your items people!
https://www.goldinauctions.com/catalog.aspx

danesei@yahoo.com
11-15-2015, 04:43 AM
Are you going to "hard close" at 5 or let it run?

1929tudor
11-15-2015, 10:55 AM
That is why auctions should close on a lot by lot closing. It's crazy going into early morning hours or even the next morning.

KGoldin
11-15-2015, 11:06 AM
I think all of my consignor so would agree the auction close method was perfect
Out of the five largest by sales volume competitors of Goldin auctions, only one closes lot by lot . The others all close entire auction at once.

hohlernr1
11-15-2015, 05:24 PM
As a buyer I hate the way the auction closes, but it is nice as a consigner. I will admit though it was kinda cool waking up at 4am this morning to go duck hunting and checking in with the lots I was bidding on.

Roady
11-15-2015, 07:00 PM
Follow the $$$$$$$$

Roady
11-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Are auction houses still bidding on their own auctions? Is that something they all do? Anyone know?

STLHAMMER32
11-15-2015, 07:10 PM
Goldin gets it right more than they get it wrong....there isn't a perfect solution that makes everyone happy....but I'd rather stay up late and have authentic items, great marketing and resources to know what is available and trust that process has integrity unlike many auction houses. Overall, I've been impressed with the auctions and they way they are handled.

1929tudor
11-15-2015, 07:22 PM
It would be interesting to know with the all the auction companies what the percentage of west coast bidders are winners compared to east coast bidders since it's more likely with the time difference the west coast guys are still up and not sleeping. Even with the maximum bid you could use i think most people would want to watch the auction if they could instead going to sleep .I know there is no way to tell a percentage just a water cooler conversation.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
11-15-2015, 08:02 PM
I feel like it would be a bigger deal if the auction ended during a week night. On a Saturday if you are really motivated to get an item staying up should be fine. Sure it sucks watching your $500ish item just so it doesn't get taken, but hey that is a part of the auction house process.

G1X
11-15-2015, 11:06 PM
I think all of my consignor so would agree the auction close method was perfect
Out of the five largest by sales volume competitors of Goldin auctions, only one closes lot by lot . The others all close entire auction at once.

Ken,

Perfect for the consignors, but not so much for bidders, especially those living on the East Coast. In my humble opinion, closing on a lot-by-lot basis is the fairest and most logical method for all parties involved in an auction.

Auction closings remind me in an odd way of the 1972 USA/USSR Men's Olympic Basketball Final. Just when you think that it is over, it really isn't . . .

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange