PDA

View Full Version : Twitter Authentication?

Copa
11-13-2015, 10:27 AM
I recently reached out to an athlete on Twitter about a jersey that I'm thinking about buying, to get input on whether it was worn by him or not...I got a response back, saying 'definitely'.

Let's say I buy the jersey, and down the road, look to move it - would the Twitter interaction be enough provenance for you, as a collector, to buy the jersey? Just curious what everyone's thoughts/opinions are. Thanks for any input!

Samets
11-13-2015, 11:40 AM
It helps but I would still want a photomatch.

Phil316
11-13-2015, 12:46 PM
It helps but I would still want a photomatch.

I agree 100% on that criteria.

Sioux4Ever
11-13-2015, 03:40 PM
Absolutely agree with the other 2 before me. It would definently add to my security when buying but I wouldn't buy if that was the sole authentication on the jersey. I'd want some other proof because Twitter isn't fool proof. You can set up an account for anyone. I'm NOT saying you did that whatsoever and I'd love to think no one would do that!!! But let's be honest that's what we deal with being in this hobby......that there's scumbags who will do anything to make a buck.

danesei@yahoo.com
11-13-2015, 06:43 PM
I recently reached out to an athlete on Twitter about a jersey that I'm thinking about buying, to get input on whether it was worn by him or not...I got a response back, saying 'definitely'.

Let's say I buy the jersey, and down the road, look to move it - would the Twitter interaction be enough provenance for you, as a collector, to buy the jersey? Just curious what everyone's thoughts/opinions are. Thanks for any input!

In my experience, players are pretty quick to authenticate items, based solely on it being the right size/style. If anything, I consider Twitter confirmations as a style match.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
11-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Absolutely Not. Not if all they said was just that...one word.

How are we to know that he wore it just over what I am guessing is photos? I could probably beat up a retail jersey and have a ton of athletes say it is theirs just because it looks used. Athletes are known to just sign things that looked used as game used when they were never even issued to the player. I don't think it would effect my opinion either way unless they gave some good input on why they know they wore it.

salukidave
11-14-2015, 10:00 AM
I was able to confirm the authenticity of a Geoff Blum 2005 White Sox hat with Blum on Twitter recently. The cool thing was he appeared at U.S. Cellular Field a couple weeks later and I was able to thank him personally for the confirmation. Such confirmation isn't fool-proof, of course, but it's pretty damn good.

eric.marshall16
11-14-2015, 10:13 AM
I bought a bat off of eBay of Aaron Hicks. He uses black bats most of the time. This was a blonde bat. I went to Twitter and asked if it was his. He said "yup spring training bat". I was surprised that Hicks replied with in a hour. I have photo matched it too.