PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Mets Howard Johnson jersey Ebay

Jim65
11-08-2015, 06:25 AM
Whoever did the nameplate restoration didn't do their homework, HoJo's 1985 jersey should say H. Johnson and should be the skinnier letters the Mets used for longer names.

I messaged the seller, no response. I also messaged asking for a clearer pic of the strip tag, no response to that either.

Jim65
11-08-2015, 08:25 AM
sorry, forgot the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161877556462?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Phil316
11-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Interesting auction. I have only bought stuff from their website hartelsportsonline.com and never had any issues. I guess this slipped by them. I agree though sometimes I waited 4 or 5 days for a reply.

TNTtoys
11-08-2015, 05:04 PM
If the seller is Hartel Sports, the jersey is 100% legitimate. Hartel obtained all of these 1985 jerseys from the Mets after they had been recycled through the minors (stripping off the original nameplates first). They had all of the nameplates professionally restored afterwards. If the "H" in front of Johnson was missing, this was obviously an error, but does not detract from the authenticity of the jersey. My advice is to see if you can get the jersey for a little cheaper and then have the nameplate redone (though it might be a huge challenge at this day and age to find original blue tackle twill material as well as a nameplate material match).

Jim65
11-08-2015, 05:49 PM
If the seller is Hartel Sports, the jersey is 100% legitimate. Hartel obtained all of these 1985 jerseys from the Mets after they had been recycled through the minors (stripping off the original nameplates first). They had all of the nameplates professionally restored afterwards. If the "H" in front of Johnson was missing, this was obviously an error, but does not detract from the authenticity of the jersey. My advice is to see if you can get the jersey for a little cheaper and then have the nameplate redone (though it might be a huge challenge at this day and age to find original blue tackle twill material as well as a nameplate material match).

Nick, I was not questioning the jerseys authenticity, I know Hartels sell legit gamers.

I have been looking for a HoJo jersey from his playing days for years, but the nameplate error is a definite deal breaker for me.

ironmanfan
11-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Nick, I was not questioning the jerseys authenticity, I know Hartels sell legit gamers.

I have been looking for a HoJo jersey from his playing days for years, but the nameplate error is a definite deal breaker for me.

An alreday "after market" nameplate that can be replaced again would never be a "deal breaker" for me....(assuming all else is good)

TNTtoys
11-11-2015, 01:05 PM
An alreday "after market" nameplate that can be replaced again would never be a "deal breaker" for me....(assuming all else is good)

I agree with this completely. As I collect mostly 80s stuff, there are a LOT of jerseys in my collection (or formerly in my collection) that have either had after-market nameplates done well, done poorly, or not done at all. The latter 2 of those always made it back to a good customizer to get corrected. Mistakes can always be corrected -- missing out on the item altogether does not guarantee you will ever find something like it later.