PDA

View Full Version : Game Changer:Escobar inside-the-park ball sells for 19K

Swoboda4
11-07-2015, 12:04 PM
MLB.com/auctions has sold the Alcides Escobar 2015 World Series game 1 inside-the-park home run baseball for $19,200. A game changer in which a new type of buyer (not a collector, not a dealer) has basically defined what is the most coveted type collectible: a baseball. More high sells are on the way for baseballs from this postseason.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14056031/alcides-escobar-park-hr-baseball-kansas-city-royals-world-series-sells-19000

yanks12025
11-07-2015, 12:26 PM
How do you know a collector didn't buy it.

Swoboda4
11-07-2015, 02:57 PM
It's my belief that it's not an everyday collector unless its someone like Stephen Wong. I always wondered why a rich person couldn't just buy everything and never noticed them doing it, until now. They're definitely not a collector we know from here. Would you agree there are too many astronomically high bids on baseballs( Syndegaard game 3 first pitch realized $9,020, Matz first pitch for game 4 is currently active at $1,125)? I spoke to a few Forum members who came up with celebrities and extremely wealthy people who are probably propelling the prices. But what's particularly interesting is that they chose the baseball as their item of choice (Jerseys are also in the mix but not primary targets). Again, I find what's happening remarkable and that MLB auctions now have placed themselves as a primary location where we have to look when considering items, especially current items who authenticity is 99.999% without question. An interesting year in collecting to say the least.

beachpetrol
11-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Its amazing what a 4-base error game used baseball will go for these days.

Buccaneer Madden
11-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Its amazing what a 4-base error game used baseball will go for these days.

Two years from now nobody will care one bit about that ball. Not like it was the first one ever in a WS nor is it even a super popular player. Instant hype and that's all.

lengthwise1
11-07-2015, 07:15 PM
The Syndegaard first pitch of game 3 went for 9k

metsbats
11-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Interesting that when you click on the bid history you are directed back the ball auction page. If this happening to you guys?

metsbats
11-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Two years from now nobody will care one bit about that ball. Not like it was the first one ever in a WS nor is it even a super popular player. Instant hype and that's all.

So true!

metsbats
11-07-2015, 08:16 PM
I think this has been commonplace with balls if you look at the 86 WS mookie ball which was brought by Charlie Sheen for 93k, Todd McFarland paying 3 million for McGwire's 70th home run ball as examples. Rich folk with money will always be able to outbid the common joe collectors and raise the prices to unrealistic astronomical levels.

Of course there are the Stephen Wong class of collectors who are out there and are not members of this forum and have always been around.

While we may be the game used universe site there are plenty of collectors who are in a world to themselves.

Swoboda4
11-07-2015, 09:09 PM
David yes to both. There's that other class who only jumps on the World Series stuff and correct you can't check the bidder list like other completed auctions. But I'm intrigued, and reminded that it's the baseball these folks go after.

MLB~NUT
11-07-2015, 09:34 PM
Cat fix stupid...:cool:

volunteer
11-08-2015, 02:44 AM
It's my belief that it's not an everyday collector unless its someone like Stephen Wong. I always wondered why a rich person couldn't just buy everything and never noticed them doing it, until now. They're definitely not a collector we know from here. Would you agree there are too many astronomically high bids on baseballs( Syndegaard game 3 first pitch realized $9,020, Matz first pitch for game 4 is currently active at $1,125)? I spoke to a few Forum members who came up with celebrities and extremely wealthy people who are probably propelling the prices. But what's particularly interesting is that they chose the baseball as their item of choice (Jerseys are also in the mix but not primary targets). Again, I find what's happening remarkable and that MLB auctions now have placed themselves as a primary location where we have to look when considering items, especially current items who authenticity is 99.999% without question. An interesting year in collecting to say the least.

Ever watch American Greed? Every other white collar criminal on there has a stash of collectibles. They spend it soon as they can get it LOL.

Juicyfruit66
11-08-2015, 06:50 AM
it's incredible someone paid that much for what will never be remembered as anything..they could have had a wall full of game used superstar bats and jerseys but chose a ball that looks like every other ball.

metsbats
11-08-2015, 09:48 AM
The fact of the matter is even though these balls look like each other (though I cannot really agree because the level of use on it will varying) what they are paying for is what the ball did in play just as a bat collector would pay a premium for what it was used for too. This 19k ball is not only a home run ball but an inside the park home run which is rare and has not happened in a WS game since 1929. Also the ball was THE first pitch of the 2015 World Series.

yanks12025
11-08-2015, 10:51 AM
The fact of the matter is even though these balls look like each other (though I cannot really agree because the level of use on it will varying) what they are paying for is what the ball did in play just as a bat collector would pay a premium for what it was used for too. This 19k ball is not only a home run ball but an inside the park home run which is rare and has not happened in a WS game since 1929. Also the ball was THE first pitch of the 2015 World Series.

It wasn't the first pitch of the World Series. The royals were home. But still this ball is a part of history has you said and won't be forgot in two years like people have said. As stated it hadn't happened since 1929. And if some rich person wants to pay that much, then let them. It's their MONEY not yours.

Juicyfruit66
11-08-2015, 11:00 AM
If it was 19k for Dennis Martinez' jockstrap from his perfect game, I'd get it.

metsbats
11-08-2015, 11:51 AM
It wasn't the first pitch of the World Series. The royals were home. But still this ball is a part of history has you said and won't be forgot in two years like people have said. As stated it hadn't happened since 1929. And if some rich person wants to pay that much, then let them. It's their MONEY not yours.

Ops that's right. Thanks for the correct. I guess I meant first pitch to a Royals batter that is. But I certainly agree more power to those who can afford to pay and in a free market the prize goes to the highest bidder. We have no right to predetermine the value of any piece of memorabilia based on our bias or perception of what we think it's value may be worth years from now. We pay market price is based on supply and demand not future value price.

I'm sure if we were the owner of this ball and had it on auction we would not put a cap to end it at what we feel would be a reasonable price so we don't cause anyone to overpay.

I don't think the game changer is the fact that folks are willing to pay a premium for one of a kind hit balls but the fact that mlb has recognized the fact that they can capitalize on these baseballs and other memorabilia during high profile events like the World Series.

Swoboda4
11-08-2015, 12:17 PM
If the Mets won the Series, the Syndegaard first pitch would be the ball that would command the most. The "turning point" ball. Royals fans may not be too quick to memorialize a loss with a purchase of what could have been. It would be like when Barbara Hershey would turned her gaze from The Whammer to Roy Hobbs in "The Natural". Like David says, that ball is nothing until something happens to it. But I agree that most baseballs (And I'm careful to add the word base) look alike.

metsbats
11-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Syndergaard WS game used pinstripe from his game three win is now over 15k

TNTtoys
11-08-2015, 08:55 PM
Syndergaard WS game used pinstripe from his game three win is now over 15k

Just ended at $17,000. MLB auctions adds tax too, so figure approx $18,500.
Insane.

And Matz, who was the Game 4 starter sells for 20% of that (final bid of $3,200 and change). His non-game used jerseys (from games 1,2,3 and 5) are being sold by the Mets for $5K each, yet the only one significant one sells for less.

I suppose you cannot apply logic to any of this.