PDA

View Full Version : new ebay phishing scams

earlywynnfan
01-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Is anyone else getting new ebay phishing scams? In the last week, I've gotten one titled "ebay bid change notice." This is made to look just like the actual ebay notices where someone who has beaten your bid has retracted it.

The second was supposedly from Western Union, and it was a "second notice" to pay my fees (11 cents!) Since I've never used WU in my life, it went straight to the trash pile.

Thank goodness for my spam filter!

Both of these are new twists on old scams, at least to me. Anyone else being targeted?

Ken

flaco1801
01-22-2007, 06:31 PM
send them to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com at least they might do something Jeff

10thMan
01-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Ken, I`ve received phishing scams designed to look like "official" Ebay websites, or an Ebay Page, for years. Usually, I get sent something that says I need to pay, or am overdue. The second most common Phish I get, is a request for my personal info...of course, designed to look like Ebay. I NEVER Respond to it, NEVER!!!

I don`t even open them anymore, not at all. I only use the Ebay Site. I don`t read anything in my mail from "Ebay" unless it`s from a forum member, with a question etc...

No New Scams yet...
Sean

kylehess10
01-22-2007, 07:17 PM
I got one of these scam e-mails just 2 days ago. It was telling me that I had to like update my information or my account will be suspended. Anything that is from eBay goes straight to my inbox, and this message went to my junk e-mail, so I knew right away that it was fake

soxwin1
01-22-2007, 10:18 PM
If Ebay wants / needs to contact you for info or you get a legit question if will appear on the "Messages " section on your ebay account. Anything else is spam. That is the only way to be safe. Never NEVER repy to an email outside of Ebay site for any of your info.

TNTtoys
01-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Also keep a lookout for "second chance offers" for items you just missed out on (and probably bid a lot for) -- they are looking to catch you off guard & play on your emotions -- then you hand over a wad of money to someone that isn't the seller...

An interesting question -- if you were to report this as spam, and they spoof the sender's email address as *@paypal.com or *@ebay.com, what happens? Are you taking the chance your spam filter starts to filter out the emails from the real parties?

earlywynnfan
01-25-2007, 09:51 PM
I give them credit for their stubborness; they keep trying! Today I got an email supposedly from Paypal saying my account has been hijacked!!

Ken

10thMan
01-30-2007, 03:50 PM
The Phishing seems to happen to me, when i`m NOT on Ebay for awhile. Paypal, same thing. Seems like they prey on long time Ebayers, w/good feedback. I dont open ANY of it anymore, i`ll go on "my ebay" to check my status.
They always ask for an "update" on my info, or say I need to pay. The ringer on these for me, is that they ALMOST always misspell stuff, on the fake Page.
On a side note...I`ve experienced some serious Bid Shilling, a few times. I bid up an Item only to be outbid, & immediately get a "second chance offer" (from same seller) Pretty obvious when it only takes a few minutes to get the new offer.
Sean

stkmtimo
01-31-2007, 12:09 AM
According to a spoof email I got today, my account was suspended because I failed to pay charges or something crazy along those lines. Of course, this email came from my Junk Email folder!

Tim

10thMan
02-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Just got a new Phishing scam. I was sent an e-mail suggesting they were interested in my Item for Sale. It was sent as a question "from ebay member" etc...So I opened it (from my e-mail) & it went on to say, they were interested in my Item.
Problem is, the Item number didnt jive. Also they attempted to bait me with "this will help our school" Several links appeared, more so than usual. Always looking for an edge, OR AN ANGLE, being that i dont sell too often.
Sean