PDA

View Full Version : The World's Most Famous Arena - my MSG stuff

NYRangers
10-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Along with jerseys and equipment from hockey and football, I enjoy tracking down artifacts from the various incarnations of Madison Square Garden. Over the years, I have collected seats, signs, usher hats, security badges, photos and so on from the World's Most Famous Arena. I will post some of my favorites here and invite others to do same. I am always looking to add more. Thanks, John
dmzeverg [AT] ptd [D0T] net

First up is a brick from the incarnation of MSG that reigned from 1926 until 1968, known as MSG III. It was purchased from an antiques dealer handling the estate of a former, longtime official at MSG. I also obtained a photo of this same official with two other MSG officials, including NY Rangers HOF'er Muzz Patrick, standing at the demolition site of MSG III. The men are holding identical bricks in their hands and others can be seen in the rubble. I apologize in advance if this photo posts upside down (it is correct in my computer but the preview tool on here shows otherwise).

NYRangers
10-01-2015, 12:31 PM
Two usher hats embroidered with Madison Square Garden, styled matched to photos from 1920-30s and 1940-50s respectively.

camarokids
10-01-2015, 12:48 PM
I would have loved to have been at the Led Zeppelin concerts there in 1973. But I was only 8 at the time....

NYRangers
10-01-2015, 05:04 PM
Yup, too young for the 1977 shows too.
Here's a sick piece for the DEEP pocketed Zep head:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111760484970?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

MLB~NUT
10-01-2015, 07:20 PM
I would have loved to been alive, to have been able to see Elvis Presley perform there in concert!

sox83cubs84
10-02-2015, 04:11 PM
If you want something bizarre, get a DVD of Godzilla (the Matthew Broderick version from the 1990s set in New York City). The Garden plays a pivotal role towards the end of the movie (though not necessarily a pleasant one),

Dave Miedema

NYRangers
10-02-2015, 04:20 PM
This is an old illuminated exit sign from MSG pre-1968 closing. It was long ago retrieved from the Garden by a NYC fireman. Each of the exits were numbered and this one is "EXIT96". I had it box framed with an electric light behind it. You can see this exact exit sign in old photos directly beneath the elaborate scoreboard.

KGoldin
10-02-2015, 04:23 PM
If you are an MSG or Rangers fan, and have a LOT of space...
...we are actually auctioning off the entire Rangers hockey rink use during the Stanley Cup 1994 season (1991-2013).
details when our auction previews in 2 weeks

NYRangers
10-02-2015, 05:46 PM
That sounds incredible Ken. You would need a serious hockey den to fit the whole rink!
Here's a pair of folding seats that were used for floor seating and extra seats until the renovations in MSG. I particularly like the blue one because it is the color of the old blue seats which were pulled out in that same renovation. At the top of my want list is one of the permanent blue seats that came out in 1991.

NYRangers
10-02-2015, 05:50 PM
This is a shadow box with seat pieces scavenged from MSG III when the Rangers played their last game their in 1968. A pair of ticket stubs from the game are displayed too. Please let me know if you get a line on any seats from the old Garden - or any MSG stuff for that matter!

NYRangers
10-02-2015, 08:35 PM
A pair of folding seats from MSG III with a section sign from more recent renovations.

NYRangers
10-03-2015, 09:45 AM
A badge and hat piece for the security officers, photos suggest circa 1950s, give or take. Sorry for upside down. Not sure why my photos keep getting flipped when I upload.

dougiedshow
10-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Here's my only MSG item. An original 1926 Wire Photo from the first practice in New York Rangers history at MSG III.

Dougiedshow@aol.com

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l607/dougiedshow/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslxthrzab.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/dougiedshow/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslxthrzab.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l607/dougiedshow/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfoflui21.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/dougiedshow/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfoflui21.jpg.html)

NYRangers
10-03-2015, 02:56 PM
That's a great photo of earliest days of the Rangers. Thanks for sharing.
Here's a program from the opening event of MSG III in 1926, a game between the New York Americans and the Montreal Canadiens, a year before the Rangers were born.

NYRangers
10-03-2015, 03:00 PM
And keeping with the early days ... this is a 1928 MSG pass signed on both sides by Tex Rickard. When Tex Rickard saw the popularity of the NY Americans, he decided to form his own hockey team to play in the new Madison Square Garden he was developing. Critics scoffed at the Texan's idea and called his new hockey team "Tex's Rangers." Thus was born the New York Rangers. This card directed MSG staff to permit entry at all times to Amon Carter, a fellow Texas millionaire with a famous art museum in his name. Rickard died one year later in 1929 of a burst appendix. He is a member of Boxing HOF as a promoter and deserves to be enshrined in Hockey HOF as a Builder. Upside down again - go figure!

NYRangers
10-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Staying with the roaring 20's infancy of the highly hockey-relevant MSG III (1926-1968), this is an original 19" by 15" photograph. A truly incredible photo with remarkable detail taken during construction of the old barn. Taken by Duryea Photo Studios, it lists in hand ink the architect, Thomas Lamb, the engineers, the contractors, and so on.

NYRangers
10-03-2015, 09:37 PM
And fast forwarding from the construction of MSG III in the 1920s to the plans for constructing MSG IV in the 1960s, these are original site plans or blueprints as developed by the famous architect Charles Luckman for the current Garden that opened in 1968. The oversized four-page plans are printed on some sort of rag stock paper and are date stamped 1962. The condition is still quite remarkable for half-century old documents.

NYRangers
10-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Here's an original NYC subway sign removed from the MSG stop on the A line. The sign was replaced during renovations done in 2001. It is made of heavy steel with baked enamel lettering and is nearly six feet long. After many decades, the subway signs are no longer made in this sturdy and costly fashion. This sign directed fans like me to the Garden before, during, and after the 1994 Stanley Cup season.

NYRangers
10-04-2015, 10:51 AM
And here's a ticket from the seat I sat in while watching the the Rangers 1994 Stanley Cup playoff run, including this Game 7 winner during the Finals.

NYRangers
10-05-2015, 05:23 PM
This is an ancient framed collection of jersey crests from the Metropolitan Hockey League circa 1930s. This league matched amateur teams before the EHL Rovers games which preceded the Rangers games (triple headers of hockey at MSG!). I already had one of these from a former Sands Point player (including photos of the player with the team crest sewn on the front of his sweater). That was the only one I ever saw until I picked these up. In addition to a cool Met League patch, there are crests for the Jamaica Hawks, NY Stock Exchange Brokers club, Sands Point Tigers, and Manhattan Arrows. Except for Sands Point, all of these crests are styled after the NY Rangers shield logo. This display originated from the front office at the old MSG and the frame is original. Another personal connection for me is that this came from the collection of an old friend and these specific crests were photographed and included in Tom Sarro and Stan Fischler's great book, "Metro Ice."

NYRangers
02-27-2016, 02:31 PM
A few pair of folding seats from MSG, circa 1950 - 2000, with assorted Garden souvenirs.

NYRangers
02-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Program from the last NY Rangers game at the old MSG in 1968.
Still looking for more from World's Most Famous Arena!
dmzeverg[[at]]ptd[[dot]]net

G1X
02-06-2017, 04:22 PM
That is a great collection of MSG memorabilia and very unique. I have to say that the subway sign is my absolute favorite with the two ushers' hats close behind, but all are very cool items!

Mark Hayne

NYRangers
03-29-2017, 07:58 PM
A pair of MSG seats I've finally added to the collection.
One of the seats needs a little support work but the wood and leather are all original.
I've seen photos showing these seats date back to the opening of the old Garden in 1926.
42 years of usage in the building and another 49 years since they closed the place in 1968!
Only the second pair I've seen in 25 years of looking. I’m psyched to add these to the collection.

NYRangers
04-16-2017, 08:15 PM
MSG continued ...

NYRangers
10-27-2017, 09:53 PM
This is a more modern memento of MSG. A heavy glass block encasing a floating, internal etching of the arena. I am told 100 were made for various employees of the Garden.

NYRangers
10-27-2017, 10:01 PM
Ten page set of blueprints for the 1992 renovations of MSG. Approx 15" x25" Ellerbe Becket Architects and Engineers. This was the update in which the original blue seats were yanked from the upper reaches of the building. I would REALLY like to get my hands on one of those old blue seats. dmzeverg
AT
ptd dot
NET