PDA

View Full Version : Need Help 1955 Style Baltimore Colts Sand Knit Jersey

crisco511
09-30-2015, 10:14 AM
I picked this up on a whim. It looks like a 1955 Baltimore Colts Jersey, but I believe the Sand Knit tag to be of a later manufacture period. I've tried to take pictures of as many details as possible. Any guesses or expert opinions? Thank you

G1X
10-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately, this is not a Baltimore Colts jersey. While the white jerseys worn by the Colts in 1955 and 1956 had this 3-stripe design on the sleeves, their jerseys were different as they had sleeve numbers above the stripes and the number font was different. For example, the numbers 1, 4, and 7 on the front and back of the jerseys did not have a "base" or "pedestal" as seen on your jersey.

For the 1957 regular season, the Colts changed to the shoulder inserts that they still wear today. Prior to 1955, they wore the Northwestern 3-stripe design on their white jerseys (middle stripe is much wider than the two stripes on each side).

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE UNIFORMS

crisco511
10-05-2015, 08:14 AM
I was pretty sure it was not a Colts Jersey. Mainly because of the font and being made by Sand-Knit (I believe the Colts used MacGregor). 1955 though they didn't use numbers on the sleeves, this was added in 1956. I'd still like to find out what it is. It shows quite a bit of game usage and is a good quality jersey. I originally bought it with the intention of getting it autographed by Lenny Moore, but since the pattern is 1955 it would have been worn by Dick Young. I've added a picture of a 1955 Home Jersey that I found on the web. It is very close, but not the same.

G1X
10-07-2015, 12:01 AM
Thanks for pointing out the lack of shoulder numbers on the 1955 jerseys as I did not previously know that.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE UNIFORMS