PDA

View Full Version : Patriots Sand Knit?

banderson42
09-21-2015, 08:05 PM
Does anyone know what years(if any) that Sand Knit supplied the Patriots game jerseys? My Pats gamer knowledge pre-Flying Elvis is pretty weak...

banderson42
09-24-2015, 08:20 AM
Anyone? Bueller?

G1X
09-24-2015, 10:57 AM
New England was wearing mesh Sand Knit jerseys when they switched styles in 1973, but not sure how long they wore them. They also can be seen wearing red Wilson jerseys during that era.

The Patriots eventually switched to Russell, then Champion, then Russell again in the 1980s and very early 1990s (see below photos of red Russell from 1991). However, they had a set of Sand Knit durene jerseys at some point in the 1980s (see below photos of white durene).

Wish that I could be more precise, but the Pats are not a team I collect or spent much time researching. For what it's worth, Sand Knit, Champion, Russell, and Wilson mesh jerseys from the 1970s and 1980s are fairly easy to spot in photos. Go to Getty Images, and you will see 1970s photos (1973 and afterwards) of the Pats wearing Sand Knit in both red and white, and also wearing red Wilson jerseys. You will also see them wearing Champion in 1972 (the previous jersey style).

Hope this helps!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

LOOKING FOR WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE UNIFORMS

banderson42
09-24-2015, 01:06 PM
Thanks Mark! I really appreciate that info.

I was looking at a specific jersey that I was thinking was 80s. It has the same tagging as the durene jersey you posted but its mesh. Are you familiar with this style?

Basically I'm just wondering if it is a legit team issued jersey or possibly a sample from that time period?

G1X
09-24-2015, 09:01 PM
I am always a bit reluctant to make a judgment without holding a jersey in my hands, but my first knee-jerk thought is that it is a replica as linemen in that era were not wearing size 36. The only size 36 I've ever seen in that era was a Houston Oilers jersey issued to a small wide receiver (Bernard Ford who was listed at 5'9" and 168 pounds).

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

LOOKING FOR WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE UNIFORMS

banderson42
09-25-2015, 07:10 AM
That's a great point Mark.

It does seem way too small of a size but it was the tagging that was throwing me off.

I wasn't sure if retail jerseys came with that tagging.

Thanks for the help!

both-teams-played-hard
09-25-2015, 02:04 PM
That's a great point Mark.

It does seem way too small of a size but it was the tagging that was throwing me off.

I wasn't sure if retail jerseys came with that tagging.

Thanks for the help!

Yes. Some Sand-Knit retail shirts from all sports had the exclusive tags.