PDA

View Full Version : Ball Authentication

helf35
09-02-2015, 08:54 PM
I have 2 balls that were strike outs but listed as passed balls. Anyone else have something similar?

August 16th Cubs vs White Sox

Top of 4th Denorfia led off the inning, Sale threw 4 pitches
1. Strike Looking
2. Ball Outside
3. Strike Swinging
4. Last pitch was a slider Denorfia swung at that hit him in the foot and rolled to the backstop.

Ball is authenticated as Passed ball and this was the only ball used in the 4 pitch at bat.

coxfan
09-04-2015, 02:40 PM
I'm unclear on what occurred, but if the third strike was treated as an uncaught third strike, it should have probably been given as a strikeout (for the pitching and batting record), but a 2-3 PO. If the miss and hit- off- foot wasn't treated as an uncaught third strike, it should read only as a strikeout.

Neither way is it a passed ball, because the batter was out and there were no runners to advance. But I've seen cases of authenticators who don't understand that every pitch to the backstop isn't necessarily a wild pitch or passed ball. In most cases, you can tell what occurred anyway.

yanks12025
09-04-2015, 04:52 PM
I have 2 balls that were strike outs but listed as passed balls. Anyone else have something similar?

August 16th Cubs vs White Sox

Top of 4th Denorfia led off the inning, Sale threw 4 pitches
1. Strike Looking
2. Ball Outside
3. Strike Swinging
4. Last pitch was a slider Denorfia swung at that hit him in the foot and rolled to the backstop.

Ball is authenticated as Passed ball and this was the only ball used in the 4 pitch at bat.

I would contact MLB and see if they can get ahold of the person who did the hologram. Because maybe the whole player batter is messed up.

helf35
09-04-2015, 06:07 PM
I would contact MLB and see if they can get ahold of the person who did the hologram. Because maybe the whole player batter is messed up.

I believe the batter vs pitcher is correct as I purchased the next 2 sequence balls which were to Bryant then Rizzo.