PDA

View Full Version : Forum - Am I out of touch with today's collectors?

3arod13
01-19-2007, 06:34 AM
I realize this isn't a game used matter, however, the autograph forum just doesn't receive as much traffic, but this does relate in some ways to the many discussions we have in this forum about collecting:

I do realize that collectors collect what they want and are willing to pay crazy prices for whatever they want. Hoever, this has has me stumped:
Recently, a 2006 Ultimate Buy Back 1989 Upper Deck #1 Ken Griffey JR. autographed card sold on ebay for $810. As you can see, the card isn't graded, card is off center, and corners aren't that sharp.

I recenlty listed my 1989 Upper Deck #1 Ken Griffey JR. Rookie Card, autographed and graded PSA 9, which sold for $177.50.

Am I missing something? I understand that today's collectors want autographed insert cards. With both cards being the same, wouldn't you want the PSA 9 graded autographed card vice an autographed insert card which isn't in as nice condition?

Thanks in advance for you opinion.

camarokids
01-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Hi there, over 800.00 for a signed card ! Wow , people must have money to burn or to use for toilet paper (good luck to the buyer when they try to sell their item)....Most people/collectors are not nearly as informed as you and I and will pay outrageous money for a common item . Cory Lidle autographs after he died ,too . How many thousands of ken griffey jr UD rookie card are out there . Not as many are signed by him but .... I don't think that warrants the money spent....Then you have people going crazy on nfl.com auctions , the nfl gamers are rarer items and command higher prices . But you had people paying hundreds for game cut signed jerseys , the equivelent to a replica . Normally I would say to each his own and buy what you like , after all it is a hobby . But, does this artificially raise prices????? I think the word CRAZY sums it up ! Also with auctions people get caught up in the hysteria and just want to win , like its a game (that costs you more money).......NOW say were talking a Babe Ruth gamer or something special like that , that would be different ............

3arod13
01-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi there, over 800.00 for a signed card ! Wow , people must have money to burn or to use for toilet paper (good luck to the buyer when they try to sell their item)....Most people/collectors are not nearly as informed as you and I and will pay outrageous money for a common item . Cory Lidle autographs after he died ,too . How many thousands of ken griffey jr UD rookie card are out there . Not as many are signed by him but .... I don't think that warrants the money spent....Then you have people going crazy on nfl.com auctions , the nfl gamers are rarer items and command higher prices . But you had people paying hundreds for game cut signed jerseys , the equivelent to a replica . Normally I would say to each his own and buy what you like , after all it is a hobby . But, does this artificially raise prices????? I think the word CRAZY sums it up ! Also with auctions people get caught up in the hysteria and just want to win , like its a game (that costs you more money).......NOW say were talking a Babe Ruth gamer or something special like that , that would be different ............

Agree! I've been collecting for 31 years. I use to collect just about everything of my favorite player, of course back when everything was cheap..including packs of cards. As the hobby changed, I then started to spend my money wisely and invest in what I like, knowing there was potential profit down the line. I have no problem paying more than something is worth, if I want it bad enough. However, $810 for that griffey card, UDA or not, it insane!

suave1477
01-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Well I think the answer to this is pretty logical.

I think the reason why the Griiffey Uppder Deck buyback sold for more then your PSA 9 is because Upper Deck is a more recognized name then PSA/DNA. Everyone knows Upper Deck even the "Average Joe" who doesn't collect normally, as a Hobby enthusiasist would recognize PSA/DNA as well as Upper Deck to the average person Upper Deck would be more reputable.

Here is an example I constantly sell Upper Deck Timeless team autographed cards which came autographed in the Upper Deck Packs, when I sell them they average $1 - $3 or so on ebay auctions.

The same exact card I sold a month ago for a $1.
MLB has the same card on there auction and bidding is up to $26.

The point is the average person will feel more comfortable to bid from MLB then your dear friend Suave1477 oh well!!!:rolleyes:

3arod13
01-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Well I think the answer to this is pretty logical.

I think the reason why the Griiffey Uppder Deck buyback sold for more then your PSA 9 is because Upper Deck is a more recognized name then PSA/DNA. Everyone knows Upper Deck even the "Average Joe" who doesn't collect normally, as a Hobby enthusiasist would recognize PSA/DNA as well as Upper Deck to the average person Upper Deck would be more reputable.

Here is an example I constantly sell Upper Deck Timeless team autographed cards which came autographed in the Upper Deck Packs, when I sell them they average $1 - $3 or so on ebay auctions.

The same exact card I sold a month ago for a $1.
MLB has the same card on there auction and bidding is up to $26.

The point is the average person will feel more comfortable to bid from MLB then your dear friend Suave1477 oh well!!!:rolleyes:

Makes sense. Personal preference I guess. I would rather buy a PSA 9 than and UDA which isn't graded. Now, if it was graded PSA 9, then that's a different story.

Thanks for the comments.

jessicawinters
01-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Suave, I saw that you said "then" twice when it's supposed to be "than." I'm telling you so that you don't make the same mistake again. Have a good weekend.

camarokids
01-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Suave, I saw that you said "then" twice when it's supposed to be "than." I'm telling you so that you don't make the same mistake again. Have a good weekend.

:confused:JW -what are you an English teacher, working for webster's or just trying to break some baseballs???

:DSuave , do not do that again or NSA will come knocking on your door ....LOL

Have a great day!:):):):):):)

suave1477
01-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Camaro I tell ya I guess I really have to watch myself here were a proper group must be proper in every way:D :D :D :D

Hey Tea and Krumpets anyone?????:D

jessicawinters
01-21-2007, 09:51 AM
I was just trying to help. I could've been a smartass about it, if I wasn't sincere.

It doesn't matter if you make the mistake here, but what happens if I don't correct you, and you make the same mistakes during more important negotiations or documentation? As I said, plainly, I didn't want you to make the same mistake again, when it could possibly matter.

camarokids
01-21-2007, 10:47 AM
:DJW- I was just bustin' your chops , all in fun , LOL

:)please don't take it personal

3arod13
02-01-2007, 05:01 AM
I realize this isn't a game used matter, however, the autograph forum just doesn't receive as much traffic, but this does relate in some ways to the many discussions we have in this forum about collecting:

I do realize that collectors collect what they want and are willing to pay crazy prices for whatever they want. Hoever, this has has me stumped:
Recently, a 2006 Ultimate Buy Back 1989 Upper Deck #1 Ken Griffey JR. autographed card sold on ebay for $810. As you can see, the card isn't graded, card is off center, and corners aren't that sharp.

I recenlty listed my 1989 Upper Deck #1 Ken Griffey JR. Rookie Card, autographed and graded PSA 9, which sold for $177.50.

Am I missing something? I understand that today's collectors want autographed insert cards. With both cards being the same, wouldn't you want the PSA 9 graded autographed card vice an autographed insert card which isn't in as nice condition?

Thanks in advance for you opinion.

This still just blows me away. Another 2006 UD 1989 Ken Griffey Jr. signed rookie card just sold for $1,125. Yet, I have a PSA 9 which couldn't even break $200. Same card! Go figure!! Insert or not, I would prefer a PSA 9 over an insert

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300074249070&rd=1&rd=1

3arod13
02-01-2007, 05:20 AM
This still just blows me away. Another 2006 UD 1989 Ken Griffey Jr. signed rookie card just sold for $1,125. Yet, I have a PSA 9 which couldn't even break $200. Same card! Go figure!! Insert or not, I would prefer a PSA 9 over an insert

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300074249070&rd=1&rd=1

Is it really worth paying $900+ more just because it's an insert card, when you can get the same signed card, graded PSA 9 for $200? Bottom line, the cards purchases at $810 and $1,125 will never hold their vaule. Next year, they won't fetch $200. How can todays collectors not realize this?

TFig27
02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
This card sells for a lot for a couple of reasons. Griffey has a large fan base and a lot of people try to collect all of his cards. So player collectors and trying to get this card.
Collectors see the buyback as another Griffey card they need to collect to add to their player collections, but a PSA autographed card does not hold this same level.

Also, the autograph comes directy from Upper Deck, unlike a PSA autograph, which in "their opinion" is authentic.

3arod13
02-01-2007, 01:46 PM
This card sells for a lot for a couple of reasons. Griffey has a large fan base and a lot of people try to collect all of his cards. So player collectors and trying to get this card.
Collectors see the buyback as another Griffey card they need to collect to add to their player collections, but a PSA autographed card does not hold this same level.

Also, the autograph comes directy from Upper Deck, unlike a PSA autograph, which in "their opinion" is authentic.

Understand, but buyback cards are never in great condition. UD doesn't take time to find the nicest condition cards. In addition, any autograph collect should be familiar with the players signature that they collection. I would buy a PSA 9 arod signed rookie, before I would pay hundreds for a buyback card not graded. Personal preference I guess.