PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Barry Bonds Jersey

deacs86
01-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I recently acquired 2 Barry Bonds Pirates jerseys. Both are road greys, and one is his original number 7...the other number 24...both show very good use...i have no clue if they are truly game used rookie jerseys, and need some help from the forum. Both jerseys have the 86 Wilson tagging..the correct 86 wilston prestige tagging...both have small size flag tags off to the right of the wilson tag..the number 7 is a size 40..the number 24 is a size 42....both have strip tags in the tail as well that read..7 86 2...and 24 86 2..the strip tags are grey cloth strips that have the numberes embroidered in dark blue thread..i posted question the other day regarding pirates jersey tagging from 86..i have seen primarily Rawlings tags, but have seen pics on getty images of bonds wearing the same jerseys i have with no Rawlings embroidered on the sleeve...i would be happy to email pics to anyone that might be able to shed some light on exactly what these jerseys are...i know wilson made jerseys in 86 for several teams with the same tagging on these jerseys..any help would be appreciated;)

kingjammy24
01-18-2007, 06:11 PM
rawlings began sewing their name/logo on sleeves in 1987.

rudy.

deacs86
01-18-2007, 06:15 PM
does that mean that Wilson would not have made Pirates jerseys in 1986...and they were made by Rawlings? thanks for the quick response;)

kingjammy24
01-18-2007, 06:30 PM
"does that mean that Wilson would not have made Pirates jerseys in 1986...and they were made by Rawlings?"

no. it just means that prior to 1987, there was nothing on the sleeves to denote it was made by rawlings.

it also means that if you're looking at in-action photos of the 1986 pirates, it would be impossible to tell who manufactured their jerseys solely by looking at the sleeves as neither wilson or rawlings affixed anything to the sleeves.

bill henderson indicates that in 1986, the pirates home jerseys were supplied by rawlings while the road jerseys were supplied by wilson. take that for what it's worth. he also indicates the pirates jerseys of this era were often recycled through the minors and as such, most tend to show very heavy wear.

post pics of your bonds jerseys. given the practice of recycling through the minors, i'd be most curious to know if your jerseys have original nameplates.

rudy.

deacs86
01-18-2007, 06:36 PM
How do I post pics of the Bonds jerseys?;)