PDA

View Full Version : Official 2015 NSCC Thread ~ Chicago, July 29-Aug 2

TNTtoys
07-27-2015, 11:03 AM
All,

It's that time of year again, and I can't believe there is not a thread for this topic yet...

Are any forum members planning to attend this year's National Sports Collectors Convention in Chicago?

I will be there from Wed to Fri if any forum member would like to meet up and say hi.

Nick

mrozie21
07-27-2015, 04:42 PM
I'll be their as well, we have a booth #@409

sox83cubs84
07-27-2015, 09:28 PM
I look to be there Thurs.-Sat., health permitting. Just look for the 6-foot-8 guy with the mostly gray beard and the political T-shirt.

Dave Miedema

Samets
07-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Will be there Wednsday around 5 or so... Heading straight from the airport...

Time will depend on airline promptness...

Birdbats
07-28-2015, 08:20 AM
I'll be there pretty much all day Saturday.

Mirguy05
07-28-2015, 11:10 AM
I'll definitely be there. Likely Wednesday and Thursday.

jscott0688
07-28-2015, 12:14 PM
I'll be there Friday and Saturday.

cyclonenation
07-28-2015, 01:32 PM
If anyone going sees Iowa State game used gear I would love you to contact me. Can't get away this year.

dougiedshow
07-28-2015, 10:14 PM
I'll be there Friday thru sunday.

Dougiedshow@aol.com

Guttapercha
07-29-2015, 04:52 AM
Thurs-Sat for me. Looking forward to it!

Tyrcha
07-29-2015, 05:51 AM
I should be there tonight (Wednesday).

helf35
07-30-2015, 10:13 AM
I was there last night, slim Pickens on game used stuff. Onyx has a table with some minor league gear, JT Sports has there booth as well and a pretty sick collection of Trout bats. He also has 3 Abreu bats at $899 if anyone is looking for one. He is also starting to dable in photo matching as I took my 1st HR Avisail Garcia bat there with my JPEGs and he authenticated as such. Fan graphs has some Rizzo and Bryant items if you have some cash to burn as well. A bunch of the bats in random booths were over priced for who they were. I saw a Ken Camenetti bat for $1400. All the auctions that were represented there had some pretty sick displays. I enjoyed seeing the golden auctions set up with the Gold gloves.

Mirguy05
07-30-2015, 03:07 PM
Gotta agree with Helf, was there today and was pretty slim pickings re: game used stuff. Definitely a bonanza if you're a card collector, though. Loved the Goldin booth for sure.

twarman17
07-30-2015, 03:17 PM
Anyone wants the exclusive topps redemption Bryant card for $10, or the set of three (Bryant, buxton, correa) for $19? Exclusive to the national when you buy a box of 2015 topps, limited supply. Shipped prices. Way cheaper than eBay.

Email Tom at twarman17@yahoo.com

helf35
07-30-2015, 04:47 PM
There was a Big Mac bat towards the middle back if anyone is looking. I just glanced at it not sure if it has correct markings but there is one out there. Also found a Frank Thomas worth bat but the handle was flat and not sure if it had the right stamping. I took a photo of the knob if anyone wants to see it.

helf35
07-30-2015, 04:48 PM
There was a Big Mac bat towards the middle back if anyone is looking. I just glanced at it not sure if it has correct markings but there is one out there. Also found a Frank Thomas worth bat but the handle was flat and not sure if it had the right stamping. I took a photo of the knob if anyone wants to see it.

Sorry meant knob was flat. 2 tone worth model.

ivo610
07-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Will be there Saturday and Lollapalooza Friday

gorilla777
08-05-2015, 12:32 PM
I was able to get two of my bats signed, a 70s Jim Rice and mid-60s Frank Robinson bat, while at The National.
One of the fellows was quite chatty, warm and friendly, asking lots of questions and admiring the bat...the other was not at all, barely looking up....any guess as to which was which? ;)

Ben

skyking26
08-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Friday

TNTtoys
08-06-2015, 10:10 AM
Overall it was a nice trip, and made for some great father and son bonding. Catching up with other collector friends from within the hobby was great too.

As a collector, I was disappointed, as the only item I wound up buying for myself was a retail jersey that I will wear... My son got a few cards and a retail jersey of his own. As for game used, there was really nothing for me there -- which is a first for me, as I have never walked away from a National without anything game used before this one. Don't get me wrong...there were game used items there, but it was slim picking, and mostly the same stuff that was there last year, from the same dealers.

As this particular National probably provided the least in terms of game used, it was observed by not only myself but by several others too that the trend is that the good game used stuff is going directly to auction now and not being sold on the tables. The presence of the auction houses at these shows appears to be growing (even the very small ones), and they have bigger and better displays with more items than before... but at the end of the day, this is a huge tease for the collector, as they are generally at a show like this one to buy, not to browse.

Hoping that the fact that the show is moving next year to a city that has not had a National in many years (Atlantic City, NJ), we will see some things we haven't before. It's definitely worth it in my opinion, as much of the joy in collecting is the thrill of the hunt itself (And of course the fact that it will be a 2 hour car ride from my house is a big plus too).

jataman2612
08-08-2015, 01:52 PM
I wish there was a National or Tri-Star like show where instead of cards it was just autographs and game used. Have autograph guests like the National. They could have authentication stations for GU. They could even have a live auction.

I think it would be a cool idea. I'm surprised there hasn't been something like this.

ironmanfan
08-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Back in the late 1990's, some collectors/dealers from the Baltimore/DC area used to host an annual show, which was just game used material.....I miss those days!

sox83cubs84
08-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Back in the late 1990's, some collectors/dealers from the Baltimore/DC area used to host an annual show, which was just game used material.....I miss those days!

Bill, I remember those. I even attended one, and would have attended more, except for a falling out with one of the promoters. LOTS of nice game-used stuff. I may be mistaken, but I believe at some point the show allowed other types of sports collectibles, as long as they were from 1976 or earlier.

Dave Miedema

G1X
08-15-2015, 01:09 AM
I attended a couple of those shows in DC. Dealers from that era such as Ball 4 Sports, Smokin' Pistols (Tom Sharon with a table of A's flannels), Football Heaven (Bob Drzewiecki), Sports Warehouse, and others were set up at the first show I attended circa 1995. Sadly, most at that show are no longer in business along with other reputable dealers from that era who have either closed shop, retired, or passed away such as the legendary Dick Dobbins and Floyd Hartel. I miss those days as it seemed a bit more fun waiting for the next team buy from one of those dealers.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

STILL LOOKING FOR WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE UNIFORMS (1974 and 1975 WFL)