PDA

View Full Version : Authenticated items from a game that didn't count

lakeerie92
07-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Has anyone come across a instance where they have an item from a game that was cancelled. Yesterday's Rockies @ Padres game was cancelled in the 5th inning and the stats were wiped and the game will be played from scratch on Sept. 10. We already had collected several baseballs and a set of bases by that point. We sold a ball and a base and offered a refund since the game didn't count, but both elected to keep the items as unique. Has this happened to anyone else?

sox83cubs84
07-20-2015, 07:38 PM
I recall Wrigley Field Ballhawk Rich Buhrke caught a Howard Johnson home run that didn't count due to rain wiping out the game. Not to mention that the scheduled first night game at Wrigley Field (8/8/88) had two dingers (Phil Bradley and Ryne Sandberg) also taken off the stats because of a game-ending early rain (more like a monsoon). Despite the rainout, both of the homer recipients received major publicity in the local newspapers and on WGN-TV.

Dave Miedema

coxfan
07-22-2015, 03:53 PM
My question is whether the items from a cancelled game had been assigned MLB authentication hologram numbers? Were such numbers then put into the MLB database? I've never seen a case of MLB authentication numbers given for a cancelled game. That has led me to guess that the hologram numbers tentatively assigned aren't entered in the database if the game is cancelled. If they're doing that now, it would be interesting to know about it.