PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Mears authentication & recommended authenticator...

Murph4Prez
07-03-2015, 12:54 PM
I was wondering what the forum thought about Mears authentication and who you folks would recommend to authenticate a currently unauthenticated piece of game used memorabilia.

Phil316
07-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Mears is pretty good and more reliable than most.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-04-2015, 03:12 AM
I was wondering what the forum thought about Mears authentication and who you folks would recommend to authenticate a currently unauthenticated piece of game used memorabilia.

If you mean MEARS auctions, I view those pretty much with a grain of salt. Older MEARS LOAs (Dave Grob era) seem to be pretty consistent, and they have a good system of laying out how they arrive at grades.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-04-2015, 03:16 AM
The reason I feel that way about Auction LOAs is due to the misattribution of items in their auctions, sometimes. I've had 1960s hats that I got from MEARS that were identified as 1970s items, and I've had fan apparel identified as minor league. It doesn't happen often, but it still seems that you need to do your own research for their auction LOAs at times.

Phil316
07-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Did you even read his question?

He has a piece of memorabilia he wants authenticated.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Did you even read his question?

He has a piece of memorabilia he wants authenticated.

Yes, I did. It was a two-part question. The first was asking thoughts on MEARS. The second was asking who the forum recommends for authentication.

The second-half of the question for this forum would typically be PSA or Dave Miedema, depending upon what's being authenticated. I still say that my response was to the first question.

Murph4Prez
07-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Thanks, guys!

I'm looking to pick up a GU jersey with Mears authentication and have a GU helmet I would like authenticated.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-04-2015, 07:07 PM
Thanks, guys!

I'm looking to pick up a GU jersey with Mears authentication and have a GU helmet I would like authenticated.

For the MEARS item, ask the seller what the MEARS score is. It should be something between A5-A10. If it's lower than A5 or doesn't have a score, you may need to get it authenticated by another company.