PDA

View Full Version : On This Date in 1988; Cal Ripken Played in Consecutive Game #1000

ironmanfan
06-25-2015, 10:04 AM
On June 25th, 1988 the Orioles played in Fenway Park and while the Orioles lost to the Red Sox that Saturday afternoon (they lost often that season), Cal Ripken Jr. not only homered but played in his 1000th consecutive game.

Little was made about the streak at that point (still 1100 plus games behind Gehrig), but it was a big deal to me at the time and I contacted the Red Sox who sent me a ticket & program from the game & while I haven't listened to it for years, I also taped the game on casettes tapes off the radio.

Fast forward to approximately 1994, when I saw an ad in SCD from a dealer who was selling (among other things) a "signed" Frank Robinson lineup card from 06/25/88 for $50. Fortunately, certain Ripken Jr. key career dates are burned in my memory & I quickly called the seller & purchased it.

This lineup card was on display for a few years at the Babe Ruth Museum in Baltimore, who had dedicated a room to Cal's career with a timeline of his accomplishments, accompanied with memorabilia.

Just thought I'd share the story & lineup card:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/ripken1000.jpg

Buccaneer Madden
06-25-2015, 05:01 PM
That's pretty cool. Must have been a boring game if there were no lineup changes. :)