PDA

View Full Version : PhotoMatch??

GrndSlm
01-15-2007, 02:42 PM
How can you photomatch a grey road jersey. This is El Duque's 1999 Yankee Road World Series jersey with a matching photo. But, since the pinstripes are not present then how can you determine?

thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

indyred
01-15-2007, 03:15 PM
You can somewhat do it by the letter placement on the jersey itself. Space in between each letter. How close it is to button, patch placement. ect... Not 100%, but it is a good way to rule a jersey out sometimes. I know with many teams you will see placement vary quite a bit on some of the letter's/logo's and where piping is overlapped ect. All kinds of little things to look at.

Yankwood
01-15-2007, 03:49 PM
On the jersey, it looks like the top of the "Y" is even with the bottom of the button. In the picture it looks like the top of the "Y" is well below the bottom of the button. I declare this "no match".

eGameUsed
01-15-2007, 05:20 PM
The Joe. D commemerative 5 looks a little different to me, plus placed slightly higher. I agree on the button. It is not conclusive so I would have to say no match.

Thanks,

GrndSlm
01-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Now comes the BIG question.....This is a Steiner jersey, it was sold as a W.S. gamer, show's nice use and El Duque authenticated plus signed it. I noticed the same things on this particular photo. Does this mean that it doesnt follow the Letter of the Law with the term World Series game used? El Duque himself told me that he had 2 roads and 2 home with the W.S. patches made for the series. He kept only the home and the Yanks kept the rest. I love this piece and to me its a game used world series jersey.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSLm@aol.com

suave1477
01-17-2007, 02:32 PM
and El Duque authenticated plus signed it. Thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSLm@aol.com

Juan I am curious you said El Duque Authenticated, by this what do you mean?

GrndSlm
01-17-2007, 06:36 PM
I represent his brother Livan and he is a very close friend of mine. I had him sign all of the recent acquisitions from Steiner. He signed the Mets 96 TBTC and stated that my jersey was the exact one that he used to pitch in Sundays game. He signed a road black and a home white also but on those he could not determine when exactly he used it. He also signed a White Sox gamer and a 2001 Yankee gamer. Again, he stated that they were his but that he couldnt determine when exactly he used it. Now, when I gave him the 1999 World Series jersey he stated that it was the jersey he used to pitch in the series. He also told me that he had 2 roads and could not determine which one he used in which game. But he said that was his Gamer for sure.
I guess what I am trying to say is that I would love to Photomatch a piece but how do you REALLY know unless that player informs you.

What do you guys think?

Juan
GrndSlm@aol.com

kingjammy24
01-17-2007, 06:51 PM
juan,

often, it's next to impossible to photomatch a non-pinstriped piece. when trying to photomatch such a piece, i'd look at unique markers such as manufacturing defects, stains, loose threads. that's pretty much all you can use in such a case. personally, i can't really say either way about your el duque. one other marker i sometimes look for is the specific and unique puckering marks on the numbers (the unique ripples that form due to substantial washing). you can't control how or where the puckering will specifically occur and it always occurs slightly differently on each jersey.
i'll sometimes run across a photo that shows a good shot of the back numbers and have been able to piece together several unique puckering marks. they're like a series of veins and when it's the same jersey, it's an obvious match. similarly if it's not the same jersey, the puckering will clearly be different. the thing is, when puckering occurs, it's permanent. it's not like a dirt stain that can be washed out. once a number is puckered in a very specific way, it should remain.

rudy.

suave1477
01-18-2007, 11:51 AM
But he said that was his Gamer for sure.
I guess what I am trying to say is that I would love to Photomatch a piece but how do you REALLY know unless that player informs you.

What do you guys think?

Juan
GrndSlm@aol.com

Juan you said, that he said it was his Gamer for sure. I am just curious what led him to beleive this was his Gamer for sure. Was there some particular use on it that he can say would comes from his use or was three a marking left on it that he would recognize. I am just curious?

You said also How do you really know unless the player informs you!!!
Thats pretty far from the truth because as we have noted here many times on the forum there are plenty of times when the player is wrong or make a mistake or just plain old forget!! Sometimes they will say "Yeah thats mine" to everything or say "No thats not mine" to everything". You cannot go by a players word all the time as the old rule goes "DO YOUR HOMEWORK"

As an example, I showed a player a batting helmet out of curiousity and he swore up and down it was his helmet i knew for a fact it wasn't because he wasn't even with the team when the helmet was issued!!!

Another example, I showed another player a Jersey he swore it wasn't his and I knew for a fact it was (ready for this - he said it wasn't his because of the tagging, he never seen that tagging before - meanwhile it was the exact correct tagging and came directly from the Team) Mind you I witnessed him wearing the exact Jersey!!!

PK
01-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Even with Steiner being exclusive with Yankees items, you still have to be careful. In the recent Subway Series auction they had, I saw a couple of 2000 WS Yankee WS jerseys that had the 2000 WS patch but not the Bob Lemon black armband. I called then to ask why and they could not really provide any reason why they did not have the black armband, but stood by them being 2000 WS worn/ready. BUYER BEWARE

GrndSlm
01-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Good question, one the 86 TBTC he stated that it had a stain on the chest from him tugging on the jersey and the pants still had the dirt in the butt from one of his slides. That one was easy ! Now, on the 99 WS road he stated that the jersey had some bleeding on the back MLB embroidered logo and that the feel of the shirt was the same. In other words, he put the thing on and it felt soft like the one he wore in the series. They just put the WS patch on the second half jerseys. At least thats what he ask the equipt guy to do. He also stated that the team took both road jerseys and the he didnt take any for himself.

Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

kingjammy24
01-18-2007, 03:33 PM
"Now, on the 99 WS road he stated that the jersey had some bleeding on the back MLB embroidered logo"

juan, there is no mlb logo on the back of '99 shirts. i'm confused.

anyway, can you please post a pic of the back of the 99 WS hernandez gamer? there could be something on the back that might lead to a photomatch.

rudy.

suave1477
01-18-2007, 03:52 PM
KingJammy good catch on the logo I forgot all about that.

GrndSlm
01-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Sorry, he made the Logo comment about this 2001 Yankee home. He said that he new this was his jersey because of the feel and logo bleeding.

Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

GrndSlm
01-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Here is the back of the WS shirt.....

GrndSlm
01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
By the way, I lower the quality of the photo because it has to much memory to upload. Does anyone know why it looks so bad ?

Juan Iglesias

suave1477
01-18-2007, 04:38 PM
I am curious when he autographed it if he was sure it was his why didnt add Game Used.

GrndSlm
01-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Here is the front of the 2001 Duke yankee jersey....

both-teams-played-hard
01-18-2007, 05:02 PM
By the way, I lower the quality of the photo because it has to much memory to upload. Does anyone know why it looks so bad ?

Juan Iglesias

Juan
Don't lower the image quality...lower the resolution to about "72"...image size should be about 8 inches or so.
Looks like a faint stain near the left shoulder seam??
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/5035/elduqueff9.jpg

GrndSlm
01-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the advice on the posting.....I dont really know why he didnt sign it game used. When clients or players sign my stuff I dont really TELL them what to put. That is a common practice in the memorabilia business but not with the players.

Juan