PDA

View Full Version : Finally Landed My Whale!!!

gobills123
06-01-2015, 08:32 AM
After YEARS of searching, I suppose its only fitting that this will be the 25 year anniversary of Super Bowl 25. I've only seen a couple for sale in all my time of looking. One was a Sand Knit that I had some doubts about, and another was a Blue Champion that was only single striped and was no doubt legit, but it was tagged a letter size with the new style Champion jock tag which was odd as well as only having 1 sleeve stripe and no NFL shield. So, it wasn't exactly what I wanted and at the price that was being asked it needed to be perfect. I'd hoped for a white double stripe as thats kinda the jersey style he is most noted for as he was wearing it for wide right. The fact that this has the 80's champion tags and the rounded neck with port hole mesh (from early 87 I believe, but there were still a few being worn in preseason until 89) was just icing on the cake as it was my favorite style. I was not even sure if this existed, but the constant searching paid off. Many Bills fans would just as rather burn this, but I think its been long enough now that we can be level headed and say there were many other reasons that game was lost. Also, remaining relevant in pop culture to a degree is kinda cool. Ace Ventura, Buffalo 66, and the play Who killed Norwood Scott? are kind of based on him so when I started collecting Bills jerseys, Jim Kellys, Frank Reich, and Scott Norwood became my goals. Kellys were easy, somehow I've actually found a couple Reichs but never a Norwood.. until this popped up on ebay. I may have over paid, but in the end who cares? I didnt want to wait another 7 years before I saw another. I just wanted to share as I never have landed a "whale" before, but this was far and away my biggest. Now I just need to find something to do with my spare time instead of checking ebay a few times a day :) Sorry for the long read, but thanks for looking!!!http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/_1_zpsp1urhqn4.jpg~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/_1_zpsp1urhqn4.jpg.html)http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/andrewhasseler/Mobile%20Uploads/_1-1_zpstu4vnnss.jpg~original (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/_1-1_zpstu4vnnss.jpg.html)

swainer
06-01-2015, 09:05 AM
Congrats! Great shirt! Now you can spend your time trying to photo match it!!!!

Peace,

John Swain

gobills123
06-01-2015, 09:47 AM
I was told it was a falcons game in the preseason (if memory serves him correct) but I tried googling the date and game and even his name but nothing came back. I even tried youtubing games from 87-89 and couldnt get any of the special teams plays. Do you guys have any tricks for the older games like that?

Thanks!!

mailman
06-01-2015, 11:23 AM
I was told it was a falcons game in the preseason (if memory serves him correct) but I tried googling the date and game and even his name but nothing came back. I even tried youtubing games from 87-89 and couldnt get any of the special teams plays. Do you guys have any tricks for the older games like that?

Thanks!!

Congratulations on your new jersey! I've seen on another board that this guy was the Buffalo Bills official photographer from 1960 to 2002. He has a lot of photos listed on ebay. If anybody is going to have a photo of your jersey he would be the guy.

http://stores.ebay.com/Photos-By-Robert-L-Smith/Buffalo-Bills-Photos-/_i.html?_fsub=422469619

gobills123
06-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Wow!! Thanks for the good look!! I appreciate it VERY much and will have to get in contact with him. Again, THANKS!!

Mattapan03
06-01-2015, 12:12 PM
Wide Right! :D

Samets
06-01-2015, 12:37 PM
The name rang a bell but I still had to Google him...

Read a very nice story SI (http://www.si.com/vault/2004/07/12/376466/a-life-after-wide-right-thirteen-years-after-missing-a-super-bowl-winning-field-goal-the-ex-bill-views-his-worst-moment-as-a-step-in-the-right-direction) did on him...

Congrats on getting a whale!

On a side note, I'm looking for a Rex Grossman Bears jersey myself. Many here in Chicago still hate "Sexy Rexy" but I would love to add his jersey to my collection.

gobills123
06-01-2015, 01:36 PM
HAHA thats a great read, thanks!!
This more so than anything else took patience.
Those who I heard had one wouldn't part with it, but as I mentioned it was exactly what I wanted anyway.
Although this was an all time high for me price wise, I dont have the financial wherewithal to bid in an auction setting and have found most of my Bills gamers on the cheap through craigslist, estate sales, incorrectly listed and then traded for what I wanted that way.
This was one I was willing to break the bank for after getting some advice that was bassically as simple as this...
"how long have you been looking ?"
"7 yrs at least"
"are you prepared to go another 7 years without finding one?"
At which point I decided I needed to load up the paypal and make the seller and offer that was prob higher than what would have been realized but it provided peace of mind and sometimes its worth it in that regard.

Good luck with the Rex, and thats the cool thing about this hobby.. theres something for EVERYONE!!!!

beachpetrol
06-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Do you have this one......

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnSKergCUAE6L7B.png:large

:)

gobills123
06-01-2015, 04:25 PM
No, but thats pretty funny! Its been making the rounds the last few yrs and still gets a chuckle out of me everytime somone revives it on FB. The jersey came in this afternoon and I found a few things odd about it. Not odd in a bad way but just odd in that these late 80s early 90s Bills champion jerseyss never cease to suprise me. There are SO many variables and variations that (as i imagine other teams have as well, but i can only speak to the Bills) there are no "set" rules other than the shirts are champion. This one for example has had its plate sewn on rather hastily so its not perfectly straight or flat. I suppose if it was preseason, thatd make sense. Also, it only has 1 layer of the shoulder dazzle twill whatever its called. Ive got another round neck white double stripe port hole mesh jersey of a scrub player but that one is double layer normal mesh. This just has the 1 layer. Also, lastly, its got repairs on it up between the shoulders and tv numbers. Im sure its not unheard of for kicker jerseys to have repairs, but ive never owned 1 with 1 let alone multiple. Its funny, these have 0 stretch to the mesh. Im 6'4 220 and i cant even get it (or the other thats the same style)over my shoulders so to think someone wearing pads put this on is crazy to me!! Anyway, its great to finally add one to my collection and I couldnt be happier!!

tom1315
06-01-2015, 07:11 PM
"gobils123," congrats indeed on landing your whale! I've yet to define my "whale" yet have truly wanted/chased a piece of game worn item(s) due to the player and or the game worn in …it's a wonderful feeling when the item arrives.

The Bills are high on my NFL radar screen this year due to the DE's Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, WR Tobias Palmer and R - tackle Tyson Chandler.
All played at NC State.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni

gobills123
06-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks Tom, its a great feeling indeed and has been a long time coming. It was the only "whale" i ever had a chance to obtain becuase ill just never find a white 86 kelly to complete me home and away kelly set for every yr he played. I know who has it, but its priced more than a used car, so its essentially not for sale:) I wasnt even sure this existed as he kept a lit if his stuff. It had to be a white double stripe and like i said, the port hole mesh was icing on the cake. Patience paid off this time!! Hopefully the Bills can break the drought this year. The future is as bright as its been for a while, but as talented as the roster is w/o a qb, it could all be for nothing. Either way, go bills!!

lengthwise1
06-02-2015, 01:25 PM
As a Giants fan, great jersey :D

Congrats on the score!

timb69
06-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Congratulations on your new jersey! I've seen on another board that this guy was the Buffalo Bills official photographer from 1960 to 2002. He has a lot of photos listed on ebay. If anybody is going to have a photo of your jersey he would be the guy.

http://stores.ebay.com/Photos-By-Robert-L-Smith/Buffalo-Bills-Photos-/_i.html?_fsub=422469619

He was my moms neighbor back in the Buffalo area. The book that he put out is amazing.

gobills123
06-03-2015, 08:19 AM
I wrote a kind message and complemented this pictures and explained my problem and offered to purchase whatever he had that might be close or him during that year but no response. I cant imagine too many pictures were taken at preseason games back then other wise though :/
Another thing is this round neck port hole mesh style is kind of unique as its the only time Champion issued large jersey hole mesh. They were mixing Sand Knit and Champion as late as 89 and I believe these were new in 1987 (the 1st yr champion had a large presence w/the bills after many years away) but they were still popping up as late as 89. The best evidence I can find is Kelly's 89 green border pro set card. Its the EXACT same style and even though its an 89 card, he is wearing the long face mask style which was exclusive to 87 for him. Getty Images also has a pic of Kelly in the blue champion port hole, but ive never seen a pic of that being gamed. just the smaller mesh style....
So, at least I know the yrs roughly :)

gingi79
06-04-2015, 05:18 PM
One of my favorite jerseys I've ever seen was a Bills fan wearing a Norwood jersey and the nameplate seemed to have been applied waaaay to far to one side. Once I realized it was very wide right of the intended placement......

gobills123
06-08-2015, 01:14 PM
That pic is shared WWAAYY to often in Buffalo. It always seems to make the rounds on facebook. granted, its pretty funny..

teddy406
06-08-2015, 05:11 PM
I have a Norwood gamer from the 80s. Email me if interested.

gobills123
06-15-2015, 11:14 AM
curiosity email sent :)

MrOct44
06-18-2015, 09:08 AM
Does this count? A Pedro Strop Chicago Whales jersey from this year vs. the Royals.

gobills123
06-18-2015, 12:50 PM
haha! thats a nice looking shirt for sure!!