PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack Retail or Pro Model?

b.heagy
01-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi Guys,
Wondering if the marking on the knob of this 1951-57 labeling period Adiondack is a retail or pro model. I know the C and D models are vivid due to lack of records, just curious to see if any new info has surfaced. Bat is 35 inches long. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

MSpecht
01-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi Bill--

Below is a link to review the available information:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=2912

I believe, despite the wholesale way that some authenticators are cert'ing C, D, and pre-1968 S series Adirondack bats, that the key to C series Adirondack bats lies in the provenance and the game use characteristics that can be identified to a specific player, and that D and pre-1968 S series Adirondack bats are a real longshot. The availability for non-Major League use of those series (Minor Leagues, college, and retail) is overwhelmiong in comparison to any documented Major League provenance. That being said, a small number of C series Adirondacks have surfaced in players' (and batboys')personal collections, leading to the assumption that some did find their way into Major League dugouts.

Good Luck.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

b.heagy
01-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the response. Very helpful. Wondering if there are typical use characteristics that Mantle would have had. Bat has classic game wear with grain checking, bat rack marks, cleat marks, etc. Are there any clues to look for in a Mantle gamer?

MSpecht
01-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi Bill--

During the 1951-1957 period, look for a length of 34.5 inches or 35 inches (generally) until 1957 when orders of 35.5 inches were common. Wide grain wood is noted on orders from late 1950's. Also, on Adirondack, block letter last name only MANTLE, block letter full name "MICKEY" MANTLE, and block letter full name MICKEY MANTLE are seen. White lettering (beginning in 1956 I believe) is found frequently. Little or no pine tar should be evident, as Mantle did not start to use heavy pine tar until the 1960's. Cleat marks on the barrel end are often characteristic of Mantle.

Good Luck.
Mike Jackitout7@aol.com