PDA

View Full Version : Game Used in movies or television

jake33
05-19-2015, 10:55 AM
Other than the specific TV sports memorabilia or auction shows.... what are a some tv shows or movies where game used or worn memorabilia is mentioned or seen?

I was just watching an old episode of Cheers
Season 4 episode 13 where Sam Malone tries to auction off his Red Sox Game jersey... which made me think of this tread.

In the movie Ted, Mila Kunis' boss has a game used Wade Boggs bat framed under glass that he mentions.

In the show Last Man on Earth, the main character wears a game used Michael Jordan jersey.

In the movie Opportunity Knocks Dana Carvey is given Ernie Banks homerun #499.

The coke commerical with Mean Joe Green is also a very notable piece of media involving game used.

Any others that come to mind?

wfl1974
05-19-2015, 11:25 AM
I remember an old episode of St. Elsewhere where Dr. Fiscus (Howie Mandel) had a red Sox cap that was supposed to have came from Carl Yastrzemski, and he let one of the new interns where it for some reason...the intern would up setting on fire in the lab and putting out the fire with a beaker full of urine. It was awful. Funny scene, but, as a Red Sox & Yaz fan, it was hard to watch, LOL.

bgold
05-20-2015, 06:42 AM
Was watching Andy Cohen Watch What Happens Live last night (don't ask, it wasn't by my choosing), and I noticed an 80's LVS bat right next to him, could not tell if it was game used or not, but it was definitely a professional signature model. Googled Andy Cohen and apparntly he's a huge Cards fan. He had Shelby Miller and John Jay guest bar tend on his show last year. There was also an Andy Cohen night at Busch Stadium in 2013.

Jags Fan Dan
05-20-2015, 07:41 AM
In an episode of The Simpsons, Homer buys and wears a Tom Landry worn hat.

Juan Gris
05-20-2015, 09:42 AM
In an episode of The Simpsons, Homer buys and wears a Tom Landry worn hat.

Haha, that's from my all-time favorite Simpsons episode, "You Only Move Twice"! :D

ironmanfan
05-20-2015, 10:35 AM
I recall an episode of the 1990's sit-com "Coach" that the Craig T. Nelson character owned a pair of game used John Unitas' hightop cleats.

yankees506
05-20-2015, 06:56 PM
"You mean to tell me you, went out and swiped a ball signed by babe ruth and brought it out here and actually played with it???????????"

bd300
05-21-2015, 02:07 AM
Baseketball- referenced Reggie Jackson's 3rd homerun ball from the World Series

MikeSharon
05-21-2015, 04:35 AM
Seem to recall an Jefferson's where George drops Reggie's 3 Hr from the world series the press gives him hell and Jackson comes to his apartment and throws him the ball that he catches that time

Trublubrucru
05-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Reggie got a lot of mileage out of that. I remember an episode of the 80's show Hart to Hart where Robert Wagner attended a Card show for a high stakes baseball card flip game, and someone stole Reggie's WS home run balls and they had to disarm a bomb to get them back.

BirdsOnBat
05-22-2015, 12:10 PM
I remember an episode of the 80's show Hart to Hart where Robert Wagner attended a Card show for a high stakes baseball card flip game, and someone stole Reggie's WS home run balls and they had to disarm a bomb to get them back.

This might be the greatest sentence I've ever seen on this forum.

godwulf
05-22-2015, 12:46 PM
I always notice, of course, when somebody in a t.v. show or movie has something like a baseball in a cube on their desk - you see that a lot on cop shows for some reason. Could be a game ball or just a signed one - we seldom find out. When I see that a show is doing a prop and costume auction or sale, I'm always alert to any baseball-related items like that.

Actually, my Holy Grail, as far as movie/t.v. prop items are concerned, is a GU L.S. bat from the movie Signs - the one Merrill Hess, the character played by Joachin Phoenix, keeps on the wall, and is supposed to have hit a record-setting home run with when he played in the minors. As is usually the case with items like that, there is in reality more than just the one ordered and used; in this case, there was one bat that hung on the wall, at least one that Phoenix used to (spoiler alert) kill the alien with, one that was broken in half, etc. I was finally able to get in touch with the film's prop-master a while back, and he still has one that he is interested in selling, but to be honest he wanted more for it than I could comfortably afford at the moment.

sox83cubs84
05-23-2015, 09:18 PM
I think the show was "Suddenly Susan" with Brooke Shields and Emilio Estevez. Estevez, Shields' boss, had his mother in town (played by Betty White), and Mom decided to help him clean up a bit. One such move was to wash his game used autographed rookie jersey of Mickey Mantle. The end result was a jersey that shrunk to the point that a 7-year-old could have worn it.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dave Miedema

godwulf
05-24-2015, 11:02 AM
That reminds me of an episode of Monk, in which the OCD detective is left alone for a few minutes in a sports agent's office and he decides to clean a "smudge" off of a displayed GU basketball; the smudge turns out to have been Michael Jordan's autograph.

I just thought of another one. Eastbound and Down with Danny McBride as Kenny Powers. In the first season, Powers' sister-in-law talks him into selling his memorabilia on eBay, and one of the items is the bat he broke in his only big league at-bat. He expects it to go for big money, but ends up selling (to his ex-girlfriend) for something like twenty dollars.