PDA

View Full Version : Removing an MLB auth sticker from batting helmet

onlyalbert
05-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Has anybody done it and if so, how? Have a helmet photomatched and the sticker says issued anyway and put in a stupid spot. Photomatch is worth more than an issued sticker.

danesei@yahoo.com
05-09-2015, 12:07 AM
Has anybody done it and if so, how? Have a helmet photomatched and the sticker says issued anyway and put in a stupid spot. Photomatch is worth more than an issued sticker.

Alcohol should work without melting the plastic.

vince182
05-09-2015, 12:22 AM
Goo gone

bd300
05-09-2015, 12:29 AM
I would leave the sticker on.

volunteer
05-09-2015, 01:27 AM
hair dryer

onlyalbert
05-09-2015, 10:53 PM
Have you guys tried these methods? I have Goof Off and that works well for residue. I assume alcholhol would too.

emann
05-10-2015, 12:14 AM
Is it over tar or just the plastic of the helmet? I've taken a damaged holo off a bat and it just left the small bits which sort of rubbed off under my finger. It didn't need anything for cleanup like Goo Gone, etc. I'd be afraid of what that might do on glossy plastic like a helmet (and obviously you can't use it over tar) . . . I'd just pull it off and see what you're left with before you start putting cleaners on it.

Side note: I also removed a damaged one from a 2002 baseball. The residue stains the baseballs in the shape of the holo. Really annoying; looks terrible.

Phil316
05-10-2015, 02:54 PM
I have used goo gone on a football helmet and hockey helmet but never baseball. I had no problems and no issues.

I even used goo gone on a jersey that was glued indide a frame and it got the hardened glue off without staining the jersey.

danesei@yahoo.com
05-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Have you guys tried these methods? I have Goof Off and that works well for residue. I assume alcholhol would too.

I've used alcohol to remove a Steiner holo from a helmet. I saw no point to the holo, since it didn't identify who used it.

sorklora
05-10-2015, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't as sticker to me is more than any photo match as photo matching is never 100%, but an MLB holo is worth its weight in gold.

SEAFAN76
05-11-2015, 08:50 AM
I wouldn't as sticker to me is more than any photo match as photo matching is never 100%, but an MLB holo is worth its weight in gold.

I think is what he was saying was, that when you look up the holo one the MLB site, it says GAME ISSUED, when in reality it was game used.
My helmet (M's 2014) has the same problem. It's game used, but the idiot entering the info on the MLB site had it as "Game Issued".
The first chance at a sale for me, the person didn't buy it because of this.

lengthwise1
05-11-2015, 09:14 AM
I think is what he was saying was, that when you look up the holo one the MLB site, it says GAME ISSUED, when in reality it was game used.
My helmet (M's 2014) has the same problem. It's game used, but the idiot entering the info on the MLB site had it as "Game Issued".
The first chance at a sale for me, the person didn't buy it because of this.

Not necessarily an "idiot," it was probably authenticated in bulk at the end of the season and based on the rules of the MLB program, it would then be authenticated as issued. I know it doesn't make a ton of sense for equipment that shows obvious use, but it is what it is....

mattsr
05-11-2015, 11:13 AM
I have a few helmets that say game issued even though they are 100% game used. Reason being is if they are not authenticated within a certain amount of time (I want to say its right after the game)they flip to issues as opposed to game used.

I know this is true for the Brewers as they didnt sell much game used anything in early to late 2000's at Miller Park. The stuff sat in a Storage locker and I just picked up a few helmets that I literally ripped open the boxed, picked out who I wanted and then they authenticated them as game issued. Clearly they were used.

emann
05-11-2015, 11:23 AM

I think there easily are a few hundred collectors on here who would disagree with you re: photo matching. Every scenario is different but hypothetically: I'd pick MLB holo'd as "team issued" with a solid photomatch over MLB holo'd as "game worn" with no photomatch . . . A photo displays much better in a frame next to the item that a printout of hologram data.

sorklora
05-11-2015, 11:56 AM
I think there easily are a few hundred collectors on here who would disagree with you re: photo matching. Every scenario is different but hypothetically: I'd pick MLB holo'd as "team issued" with a solid photomatch over MLB holo'd as "game worn" with no photomatch . . . A photo displays much better in a frame next to the item that a printout of hologram data.

This is true, especially if you can find the exact game the MLB hologram is for, but what I was referring to is a random item that someone claims is photomatched with nothing on the item to show a reference date and any photo could be a match, versus an MLB hologram noting it was game used with a specific date. I'd choose the MLB any day over the photo one, and I really don't need a photo if MLB authenticated it as game used to a specific date.

jojac
05-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Then theres the other side of the coin with all of this. I've seen items that were MLB certified game used to a certain date and when you try to do a photo match you find out that you can't because the player obviously is not wearing the certified item on the specified date.
I prefer a prefer a solid photo match over any cert.

beachpetrol
05-11-2015, 11:46 PM
This is true, especially if you can find the exact game the MLB hologram is for, but what I was referring to is a random item that someone claims is photomatched with nothing on the item to show a reference date and any photo could be a match, versus an MLB hologram noting it was game used with a specific date. I'd choose the MLB any day over the photo one, and I really don't need a photo if MLB authenticated it as game used to a specific date.

I think you're mistaking photomatch with photo "style" match.

nycpropain
05-13-2015, 06:15 AM

That could not be further than the truth its scary. You know how many mislabeled items I have seen that where the item photomatched to other games? Or holograms removed from one item and placed on another?

MLB holograms are hardly worth their weight in gold.

nycpropain
05-13-2015, 06:17 AM

And no sometimes in fact its just authenticated on that date meaning it could have sat in a laundry bin for months and months IF in fact used. Sometimes other ones slip by. So once again not 100% nor worth its weight in gold.

sportsnbikes
05-18-2015, 09:58 AM

You are way off-base on this one. Photo evidence is 100% worth its weight in gold. There is no mistaking if and when an item has been used, providing it's a good photo-match. MLB authenticators make mistakes all the time. With photo evidence, the proof is right there.

I am personally not a fan of where authenticators place stickers in most cases. But it's personal preference on if you want it on there if you have the photo-match evidence.