PDA

View Full Version : Rob Deer Milwaukee Brewers 1989 Home Jersey on eBay

VanPoppelFan
04-28-2015, 09:25 AM
Folks,

This has been up a while. Does anyone have any opinions on it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-MILWAUKEE-BREWERS-RAWLINGS-GAME-WORN-USED-ROB-DEER-JERSEY-1989-PINSTRIPES-/251935620855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa8887ef7

With the cut sleeves in particular, I'd want to know if this was legitimately worn by Deer before making an offer.

I contacted the seller with the following question:

Hey there!

Can you tell me if this comes with any documentation or certification? Otherwise, can I ask how you know it was positively worn by Rob Deer himself? Finally, can I ask how you came by it?

Thanks in advance!

The seller's reply (authorizing me to discuss his auction on forums, too):

Hi there, no, there is no COA included with this jersey. Please see the tagging to show that this is a completely legit game worn Rob Deer jersey. (You can also see the sleeves have been manually cut off by Deer, likely because he had larger arms or wanted more space.) I purchased this jersey along with another Brewers gamer about 10 years ago from a dealer in Wisconsin. Again, I would encourage you to view the tagging, sizing, specs and everything about this jersey. (You can even ask the experts on the game used jerseys forum if you feel there is any doubt.) It's an authentic gamer and I've been collecting jerseys for 15+ years. You can see some of my other jerseys for sale as well. Most of my jerseys that come with COAs are directly from the Oakland Athletics. But there's no COA with this.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers.

I would love to hear opinions, from Brewers' collectors or otherwise!

Thanks in advance!

Larry

Phil316
04-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Larry,

It has been listed for a l9ng yime probably because of the price. Let's be honest how many people are gonna drop 500 and change on a Rob Deer gamer. I think that would be a pretty specific few people.

The tagging to me looks correct. The cutting of the hem on the arms is odd. Maybe try matching it to some pics from that year and see what you can find.

Goodluck

emann
04-28-2015, 06:01 PM
1989 & 1990 Bowman look like they're from the same session (I'd assume ST) and look decent to match the pinstripes on quick look.

sox83cubs84
04-28-2015, 08:45 PM
From the eBay listing photos, I'd have to say it stands to highly likely be a gamer.

Dave Miedema

VanPoppelFan
04-29-2015, 09:05 AM
Larry,

It has been listed for a l9ng yime probably because of the price. Let's be honest how many people are gonna drop 500 and change on a Rob Deer gamer. I think that would be a pretty specific few people.

The tagging to me looks correct. The cutting of the hem on the arms is odd. Maybe try matching it to some pics from that year and see what you can find.

Goodluck

Phil, thanks a lot for the opinion! Do you have a lot of familiarity with Brewers gamers?

I agree on the sleeves, and am concerned. I briefly started looking yesterday, and thought it might be a fool's errand. But if people more knowledgeable than myself are suggesting it, I guess I should try harder!

VanPoppelFan
04-29-2015, 09:15 AM
1989 & 1990 Bowman look like they're from the same session (I'd assume ST) and look decent to match the pinstripes on quick look.

Good point. I've never tried to photo match - is it often that pinstriped jerseys like this would match so closely? I see that stripes extend from the same places around the collar (using the 1990 one) down to the same places on several of the "BREWERS" letters.

Furthermore, I looked a small image of the 1990 Bowman yesterday, hoping to see the jagged edges of the cut sleeves, but didn't see any. On further look, it seems like one might be visible toward the left part (when looking at the card) of the jersey, and then a less-jaggedy bump two stripes to the right of that. That overall pattern seems to match on the second picture of the sleeves in the auction, although I wonder if I'm just thinking wishfully?

I'd love more opinions. Of course, I see now that I should also hunt for more photos.

VanPoppelFan
04-29-2015, 09:16 AM
From the eBay listing photos, I'd have to say it stands to highly likely be a gamer.

Dave Miedema

You think it looks safe then, Dave? Do you have a lot of experience with Milwaukee jerseys? I remember that you're quite knowledgeable about these things, so that makes me pretty hopeful.

Any thoughts on the cut sleeves?

sox83cubs84
04-29-2015, 09:28 PM
You think it looks safe then, Dave? Do you have a lot of experience with Milwaukee jerseys? I remember that you're quite knowledgeable about these things, so that makes me pretty hopeful.

Any thoughts on the cut sleeves?

The sleeves are inconclusive, but everything else (size, tags) looks OK to me.

Dave M.

VanPoppelFan
04-30-2015, 08:44 AM
The sleeves are inconclusive, but everything else (size, tags) looks OK to me.

Dave M.

Sorry to be a pain, Dave, especially since you've been so helpful, but are you fairly familiar with Milwaukee jerseys around this timeframe? I have to admit that I haven't seen a lot of jerseys where the name is sewed on the jersey as part of the tagging.

sox83cubs84
04-30-2015, 07:26 PM
Sorry to be a pain, Dave, especially since you've been so helpful, but are you fairly familiar with Milwaukee jerseys around this timeframe? I have to admit that I haven't seen a lot of jerseys where the name is sewed on the jersey as part of the tagging.

A strip tag with year and name, in one of two fonts (this being one of them) is the norm for 1987-91 Brewers gamers from Rawlings.

Dave M.

deersveum12
05-05-2015, 09:15 PM
I can't offer much as to whether the jersey is game used or not, however, I did attend Brewers Fantasy Camp this last year and one of the first things Rob Deer did was take a scissors and alter the sleeves on his shirt. Might be his thing.

Trublubrucru
05-06-2015, 12:03 PM
As to tagging on Brewer jerseys, since the start of the franchise, they have had the players name either stitched or a printed tag in the tail or collar of all the gamers they have ever used. There are exceptions of course, but if a Brewers jersey doesn't have the name, I would be highly suspicious.