PDA

View Full Version : Royals

rwoodsbats
04-08-2015, 08:53 PM
My girlfriend and I will be visiting Kansas City in September for a few days. I was able to convince her that it would be a great idea to pick up a Royals game.

Could some of you offer some advice for hotels near the stadium, some "must do" things, and any other tips?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate your time.

CampWest
04-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Hey Ryan,

The stadiums are a bit out in the suburbs... not really much to do around the stadiums, so I tend to advise people to stay in a more happening part of town and drive or bus to the stadium for the game. If you really want to stay close there is really only a couple of options the Drury Inn and Four Points by Sheraton, and I guess if you were into such a thing there is also CoCo Key Water Resort. Those are within a short walking distance. Outside of walking distance there is also a slew of Super8 type places a couple miles east.

I would recommend staying either downtown near the Power & Light District (and Sprint Center) or in midtown on the Country Club Plaza. P&L is going to be a more of a night life downtown vibe; whereas the Plaza is a more upscale dining and shopping area. Its a bit more of a drive to the stadium, but still its only 15-20 minutes.

Some top things to do (in no particular order):
1 - BBQ... find a couple good BBQ restaurants, its the KC thing. JoesKC, JackStack, ArthurBryants, Q39.
2 - Negro Leagues Baseball Museum
3 - National World War I monument and museum (this would be #1 if I was ordering)
4 - College Basketball Experience (at Sprint Center)
5 - if you or your gf is into art the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art is world renowned.
6 - Boulevard Brewery tour.
7 - shopping & dining at the plaza
8 - if kids, check out SteamBoat Arabia and Union Station/Science City
9 - Worlds of Fun amusement park
10 - and of course tours of Kauffman Stadium and Arrowhead Stadium

Have a great visit

CampWest
04-09-2015, 05:13 PM
The stadiums are a bit out in the suburbs...

I should clarify, they're in a dead zone - I shouldn't even call it the suburbs... most of our suburbs have a lot of restaurants and shopping etc. There really is not much of interest by the stadiums and you would never go there if you weren't going to the stadiums.

red33sox
04-10-2015, 09:34 AM
I will actually be going to my first Royals game this July, so I figured this would be the right thread to ask in.....

I used to go to games and collect autos, but now I am more into trying to catch a ball during BP or during the game. Any Royals ballhawks out there who can send me some tips? Thanks!
pjlepak AT sbcglobal DOT net

rwoodsbats
04-11-2015, 10:09 AM
I should clarify, they're in a dead zone - I shouldn't even call it the suburbs... most of our suburbs have a lot of restaurants and shopping etc. There really is not much of interest by the stadiums and you would never go there if you weren't going to the stadiums.

Wes,
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question with much detail. I really do appreciate it, very helpful information.

Thank you
Ryan

CampWest
04-11-2015, 01:10 PM
No prob, happy to help.

Also, check out the stadium tours and the early bird access...
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/kc/ballpark/tours/index.jsp

And of course once in the stadium, check out the Royals museum which includes George's 3000th hit bat, a selection of items on loan from Cooperstown and a whole bunch of other game used items...

http://mlb.mlb.com/kc/ballpark/information/outfield_experience.jsp?content=hof

'75 Years of Greatness' Exhibit - Returning for an encore in 2015, the Royals Hall of Fame is honored to work with our friends in Cooperstown on a feature exhibit celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the National Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum. The exhibit includes items from each of the first five inductees - Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Christy Mathewson and Humboldt, Kansas native Walter Johnson. Other artifacts on display represent Hall of Fame inductees from every decade including items from Joe Cronin, Ted Williams, Casey Stengel, Willie Mays, Carl Yastrzemski, George Brett, Cal Ripken Jr, and Andre Dawson.

sox83cubs84
04-11-2015, 07:19 PM
And, unlike Wrigley Field, all the bathrooms should be working!:p

Dave Miedema