PDA

View Full Version : nfl game issued jersey tag help!

dre707
04-03-2015, 10:41 PM
I just bought a game issued jersey and wanted to know if anyone knows what the inside tag that nfl Reebok game issued jerseys mean like for example (05-52pbs) what does the different cuts stand for? I know there's (s) (o) but the one I just bought has (pbs) I've never seen one that says that anyone have a clue what I'm even talking about? Lol! I'm on some new medication don't laugh.

G1X
04-04-2015, 02:09 AM
Here are photos of two 2005 Philadelphia Eagles game-worn jerseys (linemen). One has the the PBS designation and the other has a PBO designation. A friend once told me that he had asked a NFL equipment manager about the PBS designation, and he was told that it stands for "pot belly stomach" as it was a specific jersey cut for linemen with big bellies. I have no idea if he was being serious or not, but if it is true, I would assume that PBO is a designation for a jersey cut for an offensive lineman with a big stomach.

The "05" in your jersey designates the year the jersey was manufactured (2005), and the "52" is the size of the jersey.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

Always looking for World Football League uniforms.

dre707
04-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Here are photos of two 2005 Philadelphia Eagles game-worn jerseys (linemen). One has the the PBS designation and the other has a PBO designation. A friend once told me that he had asked a NFL equipment manager about the PBS designation, and he was told that it stands for "pot belly stomach" as it was a specific jersey cut for linemen with big bellies. I have no idea if he was being serious or not, but if it is true, I would assume that PBO is a designation for a jersey cut for an offensive lineman with a big stomach.

The "05" in your jersey designates the year the jersey was manufactured (2005), and the "52" is the size of the jersey.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

Thank you soo.much for your help but I doubt it means pot belly this jersey is a Donovan McNabb game issued jersey and I'm sure he didn't have a pot belly. So if anyone can confirm this please let me know!

Phil316
04-04-2015, 11:41 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Donovan-McNabb-Philadelphia-Eagles-Game-Jersey-/141606293787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f864911b&nma=true&si=Kdoi8aTTGg14X0ynLqED%252Fx597%252BM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If this is the jersey. This is just a blank that someone cudtomized and added the name/numbers. Not an actual jersey issued to McNabb. If I recall he wore a Skill cut that would have just an "s" after the size and year. Plus I do not recall him wearing a size 52.

dre707
04-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Wow so this is not a game issued jersey? I just paid for it I hope he can cancel purchase or what if I try to go through PayPal to get refund for item not being as described?

RMoody
04-04-2015, 01:57 PM
I've see Eagles McNabbs at 52 and 50. Also saw a Vikings at 46.

I don't see how that jersey could have been customized, don't see a nameplate removed and the number placement seems perfectly spaced.

As far as a refund, it clearly says game jersey. Pretty sure that's what you got, Eagles sell them all the time to season ticket holders at the early pro shop. Usually get them from $35-$50, I've got several.

That listing says nothing about being issued to McNabb, you brought that up here. Unless you discussed with the seller and he told you something outside of what's listed, that's on you.

I'd suggest next time a bit more research or pre sale asking forum members. This forum is a invaluable tool at saving you money, sellers with listings like that hope your uniformed and want to believe it's something it's not.

RMoody
04-04-2015, 02:20 PM
An example of the "game jerseys" they sell.....great quality, perfect for signatures and usually had for a quarter the price of a real gamer. Heck, they are usually cheaper than a replica.

One of my all time favorite players, Marlin Jackson.....only issue is he never played a down.....and they and about 5 of these!

http://i60.tinypic.com/105xv2h.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/16gykqq.jpg

Phil316
04-04-2015, 03:42 PM
I've see Eagles McNabbs at 52 and 50. Also saw a Vikings at 46.

I don't see how that jersey could have been customized, don't see a nameplate removed and the number placement seems perfectly spaced.

You could easily get a blank jersey and have it made up. How many McNabb jerseys have you seen with this type of cut? I have seen 0.

As far as sizing goes I have not seen a team issued Eagles size 52. Not to say there is not but it is not common like a size 46, 48 or 50.

I do believe the blank jersey is team issued but clearly this was never meant for McNabb to wear in a game.

Phil316
04-04-2015, 03:47 PM
I get that the Eagles probably had it customized by the way.

RMoody
04-04-2015, 04:00 PM
You could easily get a blank jersey and have it made up. How many McNabb jerseys have you seen with this type of cut? I have seen 0.

As far as sizing goes I have not seen a team issued Eagles size 52. Not to say there is not but it is not common like a size 46, 48 or 50.

I do believe the blank jersey is team issued but clearly this was never meant for McNabb to wear in a game.

Your other post kinda reiterated it, when you say "someone" had it done, kinda implies a homemade peice. With the spacing, sitching being so consistent to that of a NFL jersey I just didn't see that being the case.

I think we share the same opinion that the Eagles had this done for a retail sale. As I said before, it's a great way for a fan to get a nice jersey and them to clear dead stock numbers, jerseys and nameplates.

That said, it can also hurt the secondhand market in situations like this.

In fairness, I've pulled actual gamers off that rack in the past.....complete with hit marks. I really don't know how they do the tent sale stuff, but I've seen some crazy stuff being sold.

dre707
04-04-2015, 04:23 PM
I already own a game issued eagles jersey of a random player ( hill #83) inside tag says 10-50L but McNabb is my altime favorite athlete and I was under the impression that this McNabb jersey was made for.McNabb and sat in his locker ready to wear for a game that's why I jumped on it and bid but now that I'm told this I'm sure sad I don't wanna spend what lil money that I have on just an authentic McNabb jersey I'm disabled have stage 4 Kidney failure from complications from diabetes so that's why I want my moneyto be spent on something that was made for McNabb :(

RMoody
04-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Well that's the old debate of what an "issued" jersey is or was or means, lol.

In modern days most players don't even put on a jersey, it's already over the pads and the player has them pulled over. It's not as if the player has a series of jerseys they pick from hanging in the locker.

It's unforutate you percived the jersey that way, but I hope you can see that it wasent presented as anything it's really not.

As I've said, I have a few of those jerseys and they really are nice. I wouldn't want you to think of it as a "waste", for the money it's one the nicest McNabb items your gonna come across. The quality of that jersey will far exceed anything else you could get in that price range.

My mother has been on dialysis for the past 2 years, so I'm sorry to hear of your issues. Hopefully you can find a way to get it signed because regardless it's gonna look like a nice peice hanging up.

Phil316
04-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Your other post kinda reiterated it, when you say "someone" had it done, kinda implies a homemade peice. With the spacing, sitching being so consistent to that of a NFL jersey I just didn't see that being the case.

I think we share the same opinion that the Eagles had this done for a retail sale. As I said before, it's a great way for a fan to get a nice jersey and them to clear dead stock numbers, jerseys and nameplates.

We do share the same opinion for sure.

G1X
04-05-2015, 12:49 AM
Thank you soo.much for your help but I doubt it means pot belly this jersey is a Donovan McNabb game issued jersey and I'm sure he didn't have a pot belly. So if anyone can confirm this please let me know!

Sorry to hear about both your health and jersey misfortunes. I made a bulk buy from the Eagles in 2006 of approximately 100 game-used jerseys. The only ones with the PBO and PBS tagging were large linemen with large bellies. The same holds true with jerseys I've had from other teams with these designations (also have jerseys with a PBL designation). Perhaps there are exceptions to the rule where other players have jerseys with these designations, but I've yet to see it on any actual game-used jerseys, and I would be extremely cautious if I did.

The following is a thread from a few years ago where one of the posts gives an explanation/description of the different tag designations (see the 4th post in the thread). http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=258103 You will notice that there is also a PBL designation that was being questioned in that thread, and I posted a photo example of that tagging as well (see 5th post in the thread).

Hope this information is helpful.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net