PDA

View Full Version : Here Today, Gone Tomorrow!! Whats it worth????

suave1477
01-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Here is a thought that popped in my mind and would like to hear other peoples thoughts.

As we all know when a player passes away his Autographed items take a jump as people all of a sudden place a demand on that persons item.

Here is my question Imagine what a SuperStar of today given they continue there Star status and live to a ripe old age, what would there items be worth????????

Think before answering this question!!!

Example #1 - Cory Lidle (Common Player) - Before he passed away $10 for an autographed ball on ebay / After he passed away hitting up to $300 on ebay. - Value jumped in one day up 2900%

Example #2 - A SuperStar (ARod Pujols McGwire) Costs now in the $150 - $400 range imagine when they pass on.

The autograph community is changing as far as SuperStars signings balls - the point is they hardly do. A Mickey Mantle can go anywhere from $500 - $1000 and he signed all over the place.

Imagine ARod, Pujols, or even your favorite player

Take A Semi Star such as my Fav Strawberry his items hold more value then a common player but not as much as a SuperStar but just to think what his items will jump up to when he passes.

TNTtoys
01-11-2007, 01:28 PM
I'll start off by saying how much I hate this particular topic... but somewhere, something is compelling me to add my two cents, so here they are...

From what I have observed, there is this frenzy, sort of a sense of urgency, when it is announced that a superstar has passed on. Fans everywhere seem to want to buy their collectibles immediately. Why? I can understand that they will never be able to approach their hero again for a signature...but do they understand that the marketplace is probably saturated with signed items by that player? Sure, they probably won't get one tomorrow at a bargain price, but why not wait a month or two until the frenzy dies down... Surely there has got to be a sports card vendor, an ebay reseller, etc. selling something then. There always is.
You can find the rarest of the rare these days onver the net if you just take the time to look and have a bit of patience and sanity in the process.

I remember first seeing this 'sense of urgency' behavior when I opened my business back in the late 90s. I sold primarily Starting Lineup figures... The big piece of the time was the 1997 Terrell Davis rookie figure. Leave out the fact that his rookie piece was mass-produced, but there was such a sense of urgency amongst collectors that this piece was selling for about $80 each, the same year it hit the slelves at a $6.99 price tag. Market frenzy and this idea of "I need it tomorrow or else" is causing a very serious artificial increase in prices of otherwise common items. My case & point -- can you find this figure out there today? Probably. Will you pay $80 for it? No. You can find a few on ebay today for a "buy it now" price of under $10.00.

Hence, you have a regular priced item. The frenzy sets in and it skyrockets to a new dimension. Then reality sets back in and the price comes down to earth. This is what I would expect to see for a Cory Lidle... $15 dollars before he died... $100 after... probably after the market settles, it should be back to a little higher than it was at the start.

Now, you have a premium priced item...like suppose a McGwire signature (he's a hot name these days). Despite recent events, he is still selling for a couple of hundred dollars. Considering how few items he has signed in his time, and the fact that he will always have a following, I would expect that his items should increase and stay there. There may be a bit of a spike on the chart but when the dust settles, the price will not plummet like a Cory Lidle piece (sorry to pick on Cory, but he's the best current example of the frenzy).

suave1477
01-11-2007, 02:20 PM
TnT I appreciate your thoughts on this, but tell me your thoughts on the actuall Value Jump when McGwire passes on????

Think about it as we discussed Lidle went from $10 and I seen some hit as high as $300

Lets say a McGwire is $300 do you think when he passes being a Star and Limited amount it will Jump to EXAMPLE $3000?

3arod13
01-11-2007, 02:50 PM
TnT I appreciate your thoughts on this, but tell me your thoughts on the actuall Value Jump when McGwire passes on????

Think about it as we discussed Lidle went from $10 and I seen some hit as high as $300

Lets say a McGwire is $300 do you think when he passes being a Star and Limited amount it will Jump to EXAMPLE $3000?

I'm sure his stuff will go higher, as eveyone jumps on buying things after a player passes, however I don't think McGwires, Arod, Pujols, etc. stuff would go that high.

I still find it odd that when someone passes, so many people pay crazy high prices for their stuff. I mean, a week before their passing, they could have easily got their stuff much cheaper. If they're interested in Kirby Puckett, then buy while the prices are good. Why wait until he passes and then pay 3-5x more than what it was worth the week before his passing.

You would think if a player passes away, dealers would be selling a deceased players stuff as quickly as possible to get what they can. However, it's the opposite. And the sad part of it is, people pay high dollar at the time of a players death, but not long after the prices go back down, if not lower.

I find the whole thing odd myself.

3arod13
01-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Why wait until he passes and then pay 3-5x more than what it was worth the week before his passing..

Sorry, I meant "Why wait until he passes and then pay 3-5x more than what it was worth the week following his passing.

both-teams-played-hard
01-11-2007, 03:00 PM

It depends on how many autographs he signed in his lifetime. And how often his signature was forged.
Suave,
Ever heard of Mark D. Chapman? You don't live near McGwire...do you?

Yankwood
01-11-2007, 03:10 PM
It depends on how many autographs he signed in his lifetime. And how often his signature was forged.
Suave,
Ever heard of Mark D. Chapman? You don't live near McGwire...do you?:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

suave1477
01-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Suave,
Ever heard of Mark D. Chapman? You don't live near McGwire...do you?

Well thats really a vague statement to make!!

I mean in all honesty no one will ever know exactly how many a autographs a player gives out we can only assume by seeing whats on the market and availibility of the Player

Also as my previous example kind of discredits your point Mantle signed anything and everything all over the place, like the man was built a pen in his finger. It is also regarded as the one of the Most forged autographs there is including rookie baseball cards. Yet his Auto's Baseballs sell usually for a Min. of about $500 and up.

So imagine a McGwire who signs no where even close to the amount of what Mantle did and McGwire is currently living and his balls sell for average $300, so imagine when he passes!!!

suave1477
01-11-2007, 03:34 PM
By The Way Im From New York Lol Lol:d

JasonM33
01-11-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm going to call McGwire and tell hm to watch out for you Suave.

LOL

both-teams-played-hard
01-11-2007, 08:34 PM
...Mantle signed anything and everything all over the place

Especially when he had his swerve on...
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9135/mick1985cl0.jpg
1985, Orlando, Florida (plastic tumbler full of gin, cropped out of photo).

*I have still NEVER paid for an autograph or sold one.