PDA

View Full Version : Personalized Game Used Items

3arod13
01-11-2007, 05:38 AM
For those of you who collect game used signed items of specific players (like JasonM33, CansecoPower33, etc.), would you or do you stay away from buying something that has been personalized to someone else? I have never been in that situation, but I don't think I would. Maybe if the items was so rare...maybe? Curious about what others would do or think. Thanks! Tony

skipcareyisfat
01-11-2007, 09:22 AM
I guess it would depend on how badly I wanted the item and how many others like it were out there. I once owned a very nice 1979 Larry Parrish Expos jersey. Soon after I got it, I called him on the phone and asked if he would mind signing it. He was nice and agreed to do it. When I got it back, I saw it had been personalized. Great looking sig, but I sort of wished I had asked him not to add my name to it. Lesson learned! At any rate, I later sold it for around $650, which was quite a bit more than I paid for it. The guy who bought it isn't named Jason and seems to love having the shirt.

I sort of go back and forth on getting g/u stuff signed anyway. Plus, as much as I love the stuff I have, I'm aware of the fact that I'm just the current keeper of it all. If my kids don't want it, I'll eventually sell it. Having any of it personalized, I think, would hurt the resell value in most cases. And considering modern g/u equipment is on the verge of being mass-produced, it leaves a lot of options for buyers. If there are two dozen A-Rod bats for sale, why go for the one that's personalized to Rico?

Jason

Yankwood
01-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Rarity says it all. If a 100% authentic Babe Ruth game used bat was available to me at a price too good to pass up because it was personalized to "Ferdinand", I would still buy it in a heartbeat. Put the same notation on a Derek Jeter bat at the same discount and I'll pass.

I have some baseballs personalized to me because I wanted it that way and balls are relatively cheap compared to jerseys and bats but I would NOT have a player personalize either of those items to me.
Again, if it was something I've been hunting down for some time and came at a price, I would go after it but otherwise, no.

metsbats
01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
I have to agree on the rarity angle. If the bat is something seldom offered then the personalization should not be a show stopper.

Here are two examples of bats in my collection that are not personalized to me.

There was now way I could have passed up on the Strawberry but probably could have pass on the Elster.

David

mailman93
01-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I would pass on a game used jersey if it was personalized. the only way i would buy one, if it was alot less then market value. I've talked to a few players and they say ,they do this to prevent people trying to resell it and make a profit of them. they know alot of people wouldn't buy the item, if it was personalized to someone else. on the other hand, if your good friends with the player then do it just for friend reasons. thanks Dan

camarokids
01-17-2007, 03:04 PM
A few years back in the 1990's , I went thru this phase of having everything personalized , game used bats , 8 x10 's , single signed balls . I was thinking the more of the athletes writing I could get the better , after all I collect autographs . Now I don't want personalizations . I still did team signed baseballs during this time and still do .

suave1477
01-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Metsbats can you email me some pictures of that Stawberry bat?
Thank you.

Jason

suave1477@yahoo.com

NegleyPirate
01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
I picked up this game used Jack Wilson bat that was personalize. Check out scans.