PDA

View Full Version : NFL Russell Logo?

Eric
01-10-2007, 01:46 AM
Hey everyone

Did NFL teams ever wear Russell jerseys which had the Russell R logo on the sleeve?
This would be from 1991 or 1992
A jersey I'm looking at has it on the right sleeve only. (It's the Chargers, of course) and it has the R by the sleeve cuff between the numbers on the right sleeve.
Does this make sense?
Thanks
Eric

jake33
01-10-2007, 01:05 PM
I used to have a Bucs one from 92 with it on...

lon lewis
01-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Eric, the 1993 Vikings used russell jerseys with the logo above the numbers on both sleeves. Oddly enough, their throwback jerseys for 1994 were from Russell but didn't have sleeve logos as starer was their official jersey supplier for the season.

G1X
01-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Eric,

Check out the placement on the Chargers Humphries jersey you picked up from me about a year ago. The Russell logo is at the bottom of the left sleeve behind the number "2". There is a photo of John Freisz on page 93 of the 1994 Street & Smith Annual (concerning his trade to Washington) in which he is wearing a white Chargers jersey with the Russell logo in the exact same spot.

However, that doesn't mean that all Chargers jerseys had the Russell logo in that exact same spot. For example, I pulled some game-worn Atlanta Falcons jerseys from the early 1990s from my collection and here is what I found:
1992 (white) - Russell logo above Falcon logo on right sleeve
1992 (black) - Russell logo below Falcon logo on right sleeve
NOTE: To confuse matters, there is currently a white 1992 tagged Falcons jersey on ebay that used to be mine (#8-Ferguson "recycled" for Ferguson in 1994 preseason) that has the Russell logo below the Falcon logo.

1993 (white) - Russell logo above Falcon logo on both sleeves
1993 (black) - Russell logo above Falcon logo on both sleeves

1994 (white) - Russell logo above and in front of Falcon's beak on both sleeves
1994 (black) - Russell logo below Falcon logo on both sleeves
1994 (red throwback) - Russell logo is in the top white stripe on both sleeves (different style jersey - sleeve stripes and no Falcon logos)

1995 (white) - Russell logo in front of Falcon logo (beak) on both sleeves
1995 (black) - Same as the white jersey
NOTE: The Russell logo is much larger beginning in 1995. Falcons added black neck collar in 1995.

1996 (white) - Russell logo in front of Falcon logo (beak) on both sleeves
1996 (black) - Same as the white jersey
NOTE: The larger Russell logo still in use. Russell tag and length tag moved to neck. Russell tag is small neck tag style that is commonly seen on store model jerseys (same as 1996 Eagles).

As can be seen, the only thing that is consistent is the inconsistency. The Russell logos were literally all over the place during this period! Hope that this information is helpful.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

Eric
01-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Great info. Thanks.

FYI- The Humphries Russell logo is on the left sleeve only.
The Russell logo on an Anthony Miller jersey I have is on the right sleeve only.

Never realized this inconsistency before.

I appreciate everyone who chimed in.
Eric

G1X
01-12-2007, 07:53 AM
[quote=G1X;30179]
I pulled some game-worn Atlanta Falcons jerseys from the early 1990s from my collection and here is what I found:
1992 (white) - Russell logo above Falcon logo on right sleeve
1992 (black) - Russell logo below Falcon logo on right sleeve
NOTE: To confuse matters, there is currently a white 1992 tagged Falcons jersey on ebay that used to be mine (#8-Ferguson "recycled" for Ferguson in 1994 preseason) that has the Russell logo below the Falcon logo.

1993 (white) - Russell logo above Falcon logo on both sleeves
1993 (black) - Russell logo above Falcon logo on both sleeves

Adding another twist to the inconsistency of Russell logo placement, a current ebay offering reveals yet another variance with regards to 1992 tagged Falcons jerseys. There is currently a black Darnell Walker on ebay with a 1992 year tag that has Russell logos above the Falcon logo on both sleeves.

Walker didn't arrive in Atlanta until 1993, so perhaps the team moved the the Russell logo on the right sleeve and added the logo to the left sleeve in order to be consistent with the other '93 jerseys when they "recycled" this particular jersey for Walker's use in '93. It wouldn't be the first time a team moved or added/replaced a manufacturer's logo in the 1990s (Lions, Vikings, Ravens, and Chargers quickly come to mind).

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

Eric
01-12-2007, 11:30 AM
You're right Mark. In fact, I was just looking at a Chargers jersey from 96 which has an adidas logo sewn over the starter logo. Kind of interesting.