PDA

View Full Version : A Ken Griffey Jr. G.U. bat fiasco

suicide_squeeze
03-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Nice tape job. No doubt done by Ken himself.

Ken Norton Jr., possibly.

Or maybe Ken from the famous duo of "Ken & Barbie". But not Ken Griffey Jr.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ken-Griffey-Jr-Signed-Game-Used-Bat-Lots-Of-Use-Un-Broken-Jsa-Loa-Mariners-Rare/151613649496?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26 asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3Ddb68999e11804471b542 e8d7997ffee8%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D24%26 sd%3D261805651020

This appears to be a Jr. pro model bat signed by Ken Griffey Jr. likely at a private signing (short of a good picture at the right angle, and without the bat in my hands I can't tell if there is a filled-in underline below the "125", a tell-tale indicator of a "signature bat"). Regardless, the bat could have been one of a group ordered for the purposes of the signing. The reason I suspect that to be the case is the signature was placed on the sweet spot level, with care and consideration, something Griffey Jr. would do under a controlled environment and for financial consideration. It does not share the typical slant positioning you'd find with his signature normally seen on his game used bats (also often accompanied by inscriptions).

The "game use" and tape job? Disgraceful. And I would bet added after the signature was placed. I own three Griffey Jr. game used home run bats. The taping characteristics of this bat don't appear to be performed with the same effort. Even the tape width appears "off".

Did I forget to mention this is all my opinion? :rolleyes:

Steve

KGoldin
03-09-2015, 04:45 PM
interesting there are 3 pictures of the JSA LOA for the AUTOGRAPH, but no picture of the Mariners LOA he refers to in title and description

danesei@yahoo.com
03-09-2015, 07:15 PM
It's clearly filled in:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/4QAAAOSwqu9U~QO1/$_57.JPG

Phil316
03-09-2015, 08:47 PM
interesting there are 3 pictures of the JSA LOA for the AUTOGRAPH, but no picture of the Mariners LOA he refers to in title and description

Ken,

It's just a poorly worded description but no Mariners LOA is included. At the end of the description he says "COA = Jsa LOA with item"

suicide_squeeze
03-09-2015, 10:53 PM
It's clearly filled in:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/4QAAAOSwqu9U~QO1/$_57.JPG

And there you have it.

danesei,

Assuming you emailed the seller and asked for a close up of the label? Nice job.

Steve

bat_master
03-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Actually I was the one that let them know that it would fail authentication for game use. The picture of the center label was added to listing at my request to confirm what I suspected had been done to the bat.

suicide_squeeze
03-09-2015, 11:02 PM

If there was, then it would be outright fraud instead of just a cheap attempt at finding a rookie collector to bite on this bat sporting a disgracefully poor patch job while deceitfully lying as the two-bit crook he is......IMO. :)

Steve

bat_master
03-09-2015, 11:08 PM
In the seller's defense...they would have to be the dumbest forger in the industry to have filled in the underline and then post a close up photo of it in the listing.

In exchanging emails with them they even asked me what a center label was. I believe they just had no idea.

suicide_squeeze
03-10-2015, 09:01 AM
In the seller's defense...they would have to be the dumbest forger in the industry to have filled in the underline and then post a close up photo of it in the listing.

In exchanging emails with them they even asked me what a center label was. I believe they just had no idea.

You're a kind soul. And maybe just a tad naive to the memorabilia hobby?

Check out the seller's feedback history. they deal in sports memorabilia. Ignorance as to what they are selling is not a defense, it's a ploy.

You do deserve cudos for asking them to post the picture. But now they have ended the auction. I guess that "ignorance" has turned into something else. Did they do that to protect the turd selling it through them? Or their reputation? Honestly, I don't care. We're just here to help our fellow collectors and the fact the auction is shut down is good enough for me.

On the brighter side, I'm contacting this ebay seller now. I have a military friend who for years has been wanting to sell some old left over c4 explosives. Can't wait to tell my friend I've found his guy.

suicide_squeeze
03-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Since ebay listing evaporate into internet space in short order, I am posting the pictures from the auction here so there is record of it for future viewers.

Steve

BMH
03-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Almost all of his bats have the "Smith Finish" where the bat two layers of wood filler applied from the Center brand up before it is dipped in black. This really hides the grain of the bat. This bat does not have it.

salukidave
03-10-2015, 09:27 PM
While we're on the subject, BMH, could you please tell me what bats Griffey ordered from July 31 to Oct. 1 during his stint with the White Sox in 2008? Was "Swingman" on the bat? Any with "Chicago White Sox"?