PDA

View Full Version : Destruction Of Game Used Memorabilia

3arod13
01-09-2007, 05:22 AM
I know this has been discussed in the past, but I can't stand to see game used memorabilia, especially from superstars of the past, cut up for the purposes of adding pieces to game used card. I KILLS ME TO SEE THIS HAPPENING!! Just blowing off steam. Thanks!

richpick
01-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I agree with you. I believe that this practice has saved a dying sportscard business though, so the sportscard business owes the game used market a big thank you. How else could manufacturers charge $200 a box? The only thing that I can see that I can do to protest is not to buy the products!

JasonM33
01-10-2007, 02:47 AM
It's true that the game used thing probably saved the card industry. I don't neccissarily think that's a good thing. The card companies deserve to go bankrupt after the way they have jerked around collectors. I gave up collecting cards after they started making three or more of the same card with some miniscule variation making it supposedly "rare". These so-called "rare" cards start to get wicked expensive. Then it became nearly impossible to collect every card of your favorite player without going broke or mad, or maybe both. I got worse every year. All of a sudden your favorite player had as many cards in one year than he did in the first seven years of his career. Now the rookie card that you watched appreciate over an entire career has become his 150th most valuable cardand is 1/1000th as expensive as his best autographed jersey card. With the 1/1 cards and supposedly game used swatches it has reached a place where only the super rich can afford to collect most of their favorite player's cards but you can never get them all. The hobby is now for the greedy, the rich, or the foolish. The card industry basically gave me, the broke but enthusiastic collector, the finger. Furthermore why would I want to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a little tiny ruined piece of a bat or jersey when I could often buy an entire game used bat or jersey for less money. Anyone who is still in this hobby as a collector and not a dealer is crazy in my opnion. I hope the card companies all go broke. I haven't even brought up how outragous I find chopping up historic artifacts. Or the rampant fraud and mistakes. How many of those Score Board jerseys ended up on a "game used" card. Or like the fact that at rookie events they were having players put on jerseys ang cleats for mere seconds so they could call them "event worn". It's all BS and I wish them all the worst. It's criminal.

OK, I better take some deep breaths now.

3arod13
01-10-2007, 04:40 AM
It's true that the game used thing probably saved the card industry. I don't neccissarily think that's a good thing. The card companies deserve to go bankrupt after the way they have jerked around collectors. I gave up collecting cards after they started making three or more of the same card with some miniscule variation making it supposedly "rare". These so-called "rare" cards start to get wicked expensive. Then it became nearly impossible to collect every card of your favorite player without going broke or mad, or maybe both. I got worse every year. All of a sudden your favorite player had as many cards in one year than he did in the first seven years of his career. Now the rookie card that you watched appreciate over an entire career has become his 150th most valuable cardand is 1/1000th as expensive as his best autographed jersey card. With the 1/1 cards and supposedly game used swatches it has reached a place where only the super rich can afford to collect most of their favorite player's cards but you can never get them all. The hobby is now for the greedy, the rich, or the foolish. The card industry basically gave me, the broke but enthusiastic collector, the finger. Furthermore why would I want to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a little tiny ruined piece of a bat or jersey when I could often buy an entire game used bat or jersey for less money. Anyone who is still in this hobby as a collector and not a dealer is crazy in my opnion. I hope the card companies all go broke. I haven't even brought up how outragous I find chopping up historic artifacts. Or the rampant fraud and mistakes. How many of those Score Board jerseys ended up on a "game used" card. Or like the fact that at rookie events they were having players put on jerseys ang cleats for mere seconds so they could call them "event worn". It's all BS and I wish them all the worst. It's criminal.

OK, I better take some deep breaths now.

Jason, wow...I couldn't have said it better myself!

3arod13
01-10-2007, 04:54 AM
Or the rampant fraud and mistakes.

Not sure if you recall, but someone pulled a Manny Ramirez Game Used Bat card a few years ago. Problem was, the piece of bat had a piece of cork in it. Manny Ramirez denied it was his bat. Card company stood behind that the bat was obtained directly from Manny Ramirez. Have you ever seen a piece of bat on a game used bat card that showed any use? I haven't.

Another error: 2006 UPPER DECK SP AUTHENTIC CHIROGRAPHY SIGNATURES FRANK THOMAS AUTOGRAPH # 18/75 - The Frank Thomas autograph was not from The Big Hurt himself but from The Frank Thomas from the 1960's. Of course this was confirmed by Upper Deck and they wanted to exchange the card with the correct Frank Thomas autograph.

I don't have much faith in any of the so called game used bat, jersey, hat, etc. cards. Too many on the market anyway.