PDA

View Full Version : How many jerseys does an NFL team issue a player during a season?

Gopack1782
02-11-2015, 09:11 PM
Hi guys,

I know every NFL team is different with how many jerseys they issue a player per season. I think it would be helpful to gain insight on any knowledge anyone might have on how many jerseys a specific NFL team issues a player per season. This could really help narrow down a jersey to a specific game during the season when trying to photo match.

Last month I spoke with someone at the Packers Stadium Team Store and was told that the Packers only issue 1 Home and 1 Away jersey per season. He said that most people don't realize that and how rare the Packers game worn jerseys are.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

GoPack1782

ivo610
02-11-2015, 11:14 PM
Hi guys,

I know every NFL team is different with how many jerseys they issue a player per season. I think it would be helpful to gain insight on any knowledge anyone might have on how many jerseys a specific NFL team issues a player per season. This could really help narrow down a jersey to a specific game during the season when trying to photo match.

Last month I spoke with someone at the Packers Stadium Team Store and was told that the Packers only issue 1 Home and 1 Away jersey per season. He said that most people don't realize that and how rare the Packers game worn jerseys are.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

GoPack1782

I can tell you with 100% certainty that whoever you spoke to about packers jerseys did not know what they were talking about. It's completely inaccurate.

Red is the only person in that building who seems to know what he is talking about when it comes to equipment. Even his assistants don't really know much as far as what collectors would like to know. I once asked them if they considered using prova group and they asked what is prova.

jpipes
02-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Interesting that they would say they were issued only one jersey each. Ryan is right that whoever said that was incorrect. My understanding is that players are issued two home and two away jerseys each season. This was attested to from the Packers seamstress who is one of the most knowledgable people I've ever met on Packer jerseys. Certainly this may change and certain players may have more (like Rodgers for example) and others may have fewer (like players on the practice squad) but just given the examples I've seen for sale it's become clear that two of each is pretty spot on. When the Packer equipment department offloaded a large number of jerseys a few years ago that had been in storage (actually I think it was the charity arm of the team which got them direct from the equipment dept and had them in storage) there were numerous older players with two home or two away jerseys with the same year tag. I've seen for sale at different times up to two jerseys for the same player from the same year but never more than that.

SEAFAN76
02-12-2015, 12:32 PM
There is NO way that is true.
I know for Seahawks jerseys it is all over the place. Lynch gets one nearly every game. Hence during the season you'd see one for sale on their auction site every other week. They didn't even bother repairing them.
I will say that the alt jersey is rare, and probably only one gray is made.

There could be many factors on how many and why. Say a popular player like Russell Wilson.
He could have it written into a sports card contract that he must provide a game used jersey for them to cut up. So he then in turn would need more from the team, so there can't be just one. I've seen about 6 a year sold at the auctions, between the Seahawks.com and NFL Auctions.com.
Then of course Russell has auctioned off a few for HIS own charity auctions around town. I'm pretty sure I've seen 10 a year.
The D Coleman #40 rookie I had, only saw 2.
My take is the more popular players have more.

solarlottry
02-12-2015, 12:54 PM
For the 49ers I was told that the jerseys they auctioned via NFL Auctions were provided by the league and then collected after the game. The team did not want to provide jerseys they paid for to the NFL to auction. Otherwise it ranges according to player regarding how many shirts they get per season. Backups were provided with a home and away and many of these were recycled into practice shirts whereas staters were provided with more. In 2013 Gore wore at least 3 different away shirts.

Always buying and trading for 49er game worn!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

michaellechner
02-12-2015, 01:06 PM
It's also not uncommon for a player to wear 2 jerseys in the same game(One in the first half, change into a different jersey at half time and wear a new one in the second half).

I know Peyton Manning has done that several times over the last couple seasons.

The general consensus I would say is that there is not a standard number of jerseys issued to a player. One player could be issued 34(2 per regular season game), another player could be issued between 2 to 4 jerseys.

ivo610
02-12-2015, 01:56 PM
It's also not uncommon for a player to wear 2 jerseys in the same game(One in the first half, change into a different jersey at half time and wear a new one in the second half).

I know Peyton Manning has done that several times over the last couple seasons.

The general consensus I would say is that there is not a standard number of jerseys issued to a player. One player could be issued 34(2 per regular season game), another player could be issued between 2 to 4 jerseys.

Brett favre was the first player I had heard of doing the 2 jerseys per game thing.

I'm not aware of Aaron doing it yet.

Clay Matthews heavily customizes his jerseys so you don't see that many in spite of his celebrity within the league.

There isn't a set number of jerseys that applies to the entire team. I have frequently seen a jersey for rookies worn in the preseason but not in the regular season as they are starting to figure out the players preferred cut and modifications.

Some players wear one home one away jersey all season. It really depends on a lot of things.

michaellechner
02-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Brett favre was the first player I had heard of doing the 2 jerseys per game thing.

I seem to remember hearing about some seahawks players doing the this. Although just because they're changing into a clean jersey doesn't necessarily mean it's a brand new jersey.

And I think it's rather unlikely that any NFL player would be issued 34 jerseys, my point being there's just really no way to know.

Phil316
02-12-2015, 02:28 PM
My Seahawks contact/employee told me that it all depends on the player on how many jersey's they wear during a season (more demand for a player more jerseys he will wear) and that players can easily order more jersey's for themselves or charity provided they pay for them out of pocket.

Not sure how that works for other teams.

mad87man
02-12-2015, 04:18 PM
My Seahawks contact/employee told me that it all depends on the player on how many jersey's they wear during a season (more demand for a player more jerseys he will wear) and that players can easily order more jersey's for themselves or charity provided they pay for them out of pocket.

Not sure how that works for other teams.

Hey can you shoot me an email at mad87man@aol.com I have a seahawks jersey question

Gopack1782
02-12-2015, 10:30 PM
Some really good insight here guys. Seems like its key to find someone that really knows there stuff and that actually handles the equipment, jerseys, etc.

mad87man
02-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Some really good insight here guys. Seems like its key to find someone that really knows there stuff and that actually handles the equipment, jerseys, etc.

That's probably the only people who 100% know. I men some people can guess. Like when JO Sports had the NY Jets contract. They may have gotten 4 Sanchez jerseys for the year. 2 green and 2 white for example. then maybe nfl auctions took one for something. then you are up to 5. Then maybe he wanted a new one every week you could go up to 16, maybe he just wore the ones JO got for that week only so it was 10. Maybe they wore the white more than green that year. It really is so much to tell. I do believe lower end players get one or 2 a year as apposed to top tier players though. I have some lower Jet players who the jerseys are beat to crap and may have only played special teams and a handful here and there.Where I have some jerseys of higher level stars and the jersey is just regular use from one game without repairs. I also have top tier jerseys from players that have multiple repairs. Its just so all over the place depending on player, team and everything else that no one really knows for sure.

jpipes
02-13-2015, 09:40 AM
It's also important to look for info specifically on the team you are interested in. How one team does it likely is totally different from most others. In this case the original question was about the Packers. I don't have a definitive universal answer (doubt anyone ever will; what player, what era, etc etc) but players for the most part are absolutely issued more than one home/away combo of jerseys. The default as I was told was two of each and the evidence I've seen supports that.