PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Blue Jays tagging -- Rudy, are you out there?

TNTtoys
01-08-2007, 03:33 PM
All (and Rudy in particular),

I am looking to purchase a pair of Toronto Blue Jays game worn pants, so that I can make somewhat of a set. The pants are from 2006, and are labeled with 4 numbers across the tag.

The numbering on the tag is: 40 34 36 34

I have figured out that the uniform number is the first number based on who wore the pants. From what I can imagine, the next 3 numbers likely contain the waist and inseam measurements, in whatever order. Not sure about what the other number could be, or what order the numbers should appear in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

MVP
01-08-2007, 04:34 PM
I assume you are talking about these Blue jays TBC pants......The seller has been selling these pants from various players for the last few months going for $10-$15 each. I checked them out but could not find any photos of the Blue jays wearing these TBC jerseys from that game or any other games in 2006. I also though it was weird that Wilson made them and not majestic. Any thoughts?

Henry

MVP
01-08-2007, 04:35 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Game-Used-MLB-Toronto-Blue-Jays-Baseball-Pants-MCGOWAN_W0QQitemZ150076952417QQihZ005QQcategoryZ50 117QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

MVP
01-08-2007, 04:41 PM
I just checked the box score and they had a photo from that game. The jays did not wear TBC jerseys that game on Aug 25, 2006:

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20060825&content_id=1628551&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=home

or on AUg 26th: they wore ALT BLACK or on Aug 27th: ALT BLACK

TNTtoys
01-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I just checked the box score and they had a photo from that game. The jays did not wear TBC jerseys that game on Aug 25, 2006:

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20060825&content_id=1628551&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=home

or on AUg 26th: they wore ALT BLACK or on Aug 27th: ALT BLACK

Hmmm... then what in the world can these be?!?!

kingjammy24
01-09-2007, 12:11 AM
i'm unsure what the jays wore on aug 25, and i'm unsure if they wore tbc uniforms modeled after the '85 unis in 2006. if henry has found proof they didn't wear these unis/hasn't been able to find proof that they have, then that's certainly an issue. i do concur with him that it's odd that they're made by wilson. wilson doesn't supply anyone in the major leagues anymore and they haven't supplied the jays since 1997. they were the supplier of the jays' '85 unis but it seems a little odd that the jays wouldn't just have majestic reproduce them and would somehow get all nostalgic and try to get every little detail right by going back to wilson.

regarding the tagging numbers: my knowledge of pant tagging isn't very good but i can take a stab at it:

40 34 36 34

first number is the uniform #, next 2 numbers are the waist range - most pants feature an elasticized waist so the numbers are stating they'll fit a waist from 34-36, the last number is the inseam.

another pair from the same seller:

58 36 38 34

again, the first number is the uniform number, the next 2 are the waist range - will fit waist from 36-38, and the last is the inseam.

i could be wrong.

as for what these pants could be, i don't know. email michael andrejek at the jays and ask him. michael.andrejek@bluejays.com

rudy.

bigtime59
01-09-2007, 06:40 AM
regarding the tagging numbers: my knowledge of pant tagging isn't very good but i can take a stab at it:

40 34 36 34

first number is the uniform #, next 2 numbers are the waist range - most pants feature an elasticized waist so the numbers are stating they'll fit a waist from 34-36, the last number is the inseam.

another pair from the same seller:

58 36 38 34

again, the first number is the uniform number, the next 2 are the waist range - will fit waist from 36-38, and the last is the inseam.

i could be wrong.

rudy.

Rudy:
I believe you are wrong (and how many times do we get to say that here? :D )
I believe a three digit number code should be
Player #, Waist, Inseam
However, at least with Majestic, a four-digit code should be
Player #, Waist, Hips (ass?), Inseam
Here's an exception to prove the rule: a pair of Orioles TBC pants. As this was an extra pair, there's no player name or number. The 68 at the end indicates which TBC game they were to be worn in. 35-38 34 is waist/hips/inseam. Hope this helps.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

TNTtoys
01-09-2007, 01:20 PM
I wound up buying the pants this morning. Many outstanding questions about them, but it was a pretty small risk to take. I am thinking now that they could be minor league game worn pants? But I am not going to ponder it for long considering it only sold for $10.00.

kingjammy24
01-09-2007, 02:56 PM
mark,

i'm curious why you believe the measurement is waist/hips?

rudy.

bigtime59
01-11-2007, 04:46 PM
mark,

i'm curious why you believe the measurement is waist/hips?

rudy.

Rudy:
I'm guessing (to an extent, anyway). After the waist, the next most variable thing on a person is going to be the booty size, and since these pants are all custom tailored, it would make sense that that would be the next number. I've emailed Majestic (through their contact us portal on their website) and posed the question to them. I'll let you guys know if I hear back.
Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

kingjammy24
01-11-2007, 06:10 PM
hi mark,

please let me know if you hear something.

the odd thing to me about your explanation is that i've never seen any pants anywhere that had a "hip" size. have you? whether they're pants off the rack or those part of a custom-tailored suit, i've never seen a hip measurement; only a waist measurement. given that these pants employ an elasticized waist, i have to think it's because they're they're intended to fit a small range of waist sizes. that's usually what elasticized waists are for. after all, they're intended for athletic purposes so there has to be a decent amount of stretch.

after the waist, all pants naturally expand. that's just a part of their inherant design. fit/size wise, all pants are a combination of waist and inseam. at a tailors, have you ever had your hips/butt measured? i never have. if he tried, i'd likely find a new tailor. :cool:

i don't think mlb pants are really any different from most baseball pants sold to consumers. here are a pair of majestic "altra pro series" pants. all pants have a 27" inseam. the only other variable is the waist:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=863479&cp=711608.1085819.1085822&filter=yes&fCat=1085822&fgender=M&fpricesort=priceDescending&parentPage=family

now i realize that pros can have their jerseys customized via body length, sleeve width, etc and consumers can't but in this case do you think pros are really having their butts custom-fit?

rudy.

bigtime59
01-18-2007, 02:26 PM
I called Majestic today...and it turns out I was (mostly) right!

The number after the waist size if connected by a dash, is variously defined (by different teams) as the hip or thigh measurement. Rudy is right that all pants are standardized to this extent: as the waist size goes up, everything else goes up in a standard increment. However, as baseball players come in pretty non-standard sizes Majestic deals with it like this:
35-39 means a 35 inch waist band on a 39 pant. You're getting all the measures of a 39 inch pant with a 35 inch waistband. If there is no second number connected by a dash, the player (or more likely, coach) just got a standard pair of pants. As has been noted elsewhere, "OB" means open bottom: no elastic in the cuff, and also, a wider calf area. "C" means fully customized pants: the player has deviated from the standard measure in several areas.
Hope this helps!

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com