PDA

View Full Version : 97 LA Dodgers Piazza road

SiddFinch
01-07-2007, 09:54 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320069163906

It comes with GF and Lelands COA. Being a neophyte, I'm still learning what to look for. Plus "No credit cards or PayPal are accepted" considering this would expect to go for, oh what a coupla grand or so?, seems a bit suspect. Some things at least out of the ordinary, odd perhaps (if not fishy) compared to other pics and jerseys: bright shiny Russell jock tag with faded dirty year, size, and Polyester flags; 31 on front placed very low and far from buttons, name is spaced very close together, JR patch very high on sleeve. I'd appreaciate some expert opinions. If I'm way off base, please let me know. Thanks.

SiddFinch
01-11-2007, 07:05 AM
No comments? Nobody knows? Nobody cares?

chakes89
01-13-2007, 12:23 AM
i bid at the start of the auction to get things going but i dont really care about it

karamaxjoe
01-13-2007, 10:34 AM
SiddFinch,
Nice usesrname. Baseball needs more stories like that one.

I referenced two other 97 road Dodger jerseys and the Piazza matched up perfectly. Of course without seeing it up close you'll never know for sure. Lelands just recently sold that jersey for a little over $800.00 and that's about his value these days until he goes into the Hall of Fame. Take a look at this attachment for other Lelands Piazza jerseys.

http://www.lelands.com/searchlist.aspx?auction=all&type=Title&keyword=Mike%20Piazza

Mike
http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

SiddFinch
01-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the info. I remain skeptical as (other than the '97 jerseys from lelands) I can not find any game pic of any Dodger in '97 or any other year where the front numbers were sewn so far below the logo. I can definitively find pics of Piazza in '97 wearing a road jersey with the numbers in the normal location that does not match this one. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

kingjammy24
01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
hello sidd

although i've just had a quick look at the ebay ad, here are my thoughts:

- personally, on a 1997 superstar jersey (where the jersey isn't a rookie shirt), i'd prefer to see a 1996-1999 style russell tag. this jersey has a 1993-1995 style tag. it's entirely plausible that the jersey was carried over from 1995, but my personal preference would be that the tag style match the year.

- if bidding on the shirt, one of my biggest concerns would be whether the sides/underarm area shows good pilling. as a catcher's jersey, this area specifically should show noticeable pilling from the chest protector straps.

as for your other issues, i can't comment on the JR patch's location because i can barely see it. the "31" sewn so low may be of concern.
as for the year tag appearing more worn than the manufacturer's tag and flag tags, i think, on one hand, these types of computer-printed paper tags typically fade faster than the others and show more wear due to them being paper tags (as opposed to cloth). i'll agree that the manufacturer's tag looks new and the flag tags almost mint. that said, none of the tags seem to show any evidence of re-stitching. that is, i can't see any signs of tampering.

personally, i'd be most interested in the degree of pilling under the arms.

rudy.

Marichal27
02-03-2007, 02:03 AM
I have seen this jersey personally. I owned it at one point. It has COA's from GFC and Lelands. It does have the special JR patch only the Dodgers wore. Those year tags are like paper. It has good game use, just from what I saw.

Marichal27
02-03-2007, 02:10 AM
Almost forgot...The same 1997 road Piazza jersey is back on ebay.