PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose Reds Jersey-waht Year?

hblakewolf
01-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Forum Readers-
Currently on Ebay is a "Pete Rose mid 1970's jersey"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-original-Pete-Rose-used-game-Jersey-with-CoA_W0QQitemZ330072675463QQihZ014QQcategoryZ27264Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Although Grey Flannel authenticated it as a mid 1970's, I have no idea what it's based on. No year tag, and no evidence of a year at all. I've had quite a few of this style Rawlings Reds home jerseys, and every one had a year tag.

Any Forum Readers or Reds experts care to tell me how it can be dated or a LOA provided indicating it's from a specific year?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

bscott
01-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Well, I'm no expert on the details of this Pete Rose jersey, but the photos in the ebay listing do bring up another point about buying and selling GU items.

The jersey is framed. Behind glass. As such, it is difficult to examine and determine details that could verify the jersey's authenticity. Not to mention that collectors often love to touch, smell, and look at the GU items they are about to purchase.

How collectors decide to display or store their own items is a matter of personal preference, but when selling an item, owners should realize that they cannot hide their bats and jerseys behind lucite boxes or glass frames. It doesn't help the seller or the buyer. The seller isn't going to get top dollar and the buyer doesn't know precisely what he/she is getting. This may be obvious to the advanced collectors, but it still happens on ebay quite frequently.

To me, the "encased" GU item signifies one of two things:
one, that the owner could have something to hide about the item.
or two, that the owner is naive to the fact that every individual has different ideas as to how to display GU items. Not everyone likes to frame jerseys or keep GU bats in lucite cases.

The latter option can, however, be very lucrative for buyers. I once bought a gorgeous GU Jeter Bat, Steiner Authenticated, for a very low price because the seller took some clumsy photos of it inside a display case. I even bargained the price down further, saying i didn't want the bulky display case in which the Jeter Bat was then displayed in. Further, I saved money on the shipping as well, not having to pay for this huge and weighty display case. In my opinion, the bat looked even better "naked", so you could see the stitch marks, moto-stick residue, and cleat marks --all beautiful evidence of game use that could not be seen behind a piece of glass.

So is this Pete Rose Jersey a hidden Gem or is it merely hiding evidence of non-game use? Who can tell?

-b.scott.

hblakewolf
01-08-2007, 11:02 AM
B. Scott-
All valid points, however, we have an issue here that is not in hiding. The Rawlings tag does not have the usual flag tag indicating year. As such, how can a Grey Flannel LOA (or for that matter, any LOA) accompany this indicating it is a mid 1970's gamer?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

flaco1801
01-08-2007, 12:07 PM
it was probally framed because the buyer had confidence in the letter of...... (fill in the blank). maybe after being educated here, the owner has second thoughts...... just an opinion Jeff

33bird
01-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Howard-I emailed Dave Grob and he said all 1970's Red's jerseys had year and set tagging except for 1971 or one early year in there. All signs say stay away from that jersey.
G. Todd

hblakewolf
01-12-2007, 11:26 AM
This is the same exact information I was told from some experienced Reds collectors. I've purchased and sold dozens of 1970's Reds knits, and have never seen one that is void of the traditional year tag. Likewise, I have seen in person hundreds of Reds 1970's knits being sold from Hartel, Sports Warehouse and Paul Kinzer and all had year tags.

Based on this information, how could a LOA (in this case, from Grey Flannel) pinpoint this particular Rose jersey to the 1970's without any type of year tag being present?

Any Rose, Reds or uniform collector want to add to this mystery?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

33bird
01-12-2007, 11:47 AM
It was actually 1972 where the Reds didn't have a year tag and they were square tailed that year. Every other year in the 70's should have the year and set flag tags. I wondered the same thing about how GF could give it a coa? Always pays to do your homework.
G.Todd

GrndSlm
01-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Howard, here is a 1973 home Rose from his only MVP season. Its a size 44 with a set 1 #8p, 1973 tagging and a LOA from Grey Flannel. I hope this helps. Oh, and it looks to also have the square tail....

Thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

Mr.3000
08-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Juan,

What kind of value do you place on that Rose gamer?