PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas Helmet/Hat Size

Brandon's Bats
01-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know what hat/helmet size Frank Thomas wore throughout his career? I have seen a GU hat sold on auction through Lelands at size 7, but I'm not sure who authenticated it. I have a GU Rawlings Batting Helmet size 7 1/8 authenticated by John Taube (GU) and PSA/DNA (Auto).

I took a gamble and bought what looks to be a legit Thomas signed GU ABC Batting Helmet size 7 1/4 that looks very legit to me, but I am hoping some Thomas collectors could provide some insight. Was there a difference in measurements between Rawlings and ABC? Did players helmet size ever fluctuate, and if so is this something seen with Frank Thomas?

Thanks in advance!

danesei@yahoo.com
01-16-2015, 05:03 PM
I have a size 7-1/8 hat from late-1993. As for the other questions:

Differences in sizing between manufacturers - Possibly.
Hat/Helmet sizes changing over time for players - Sometimes.

Brandon's Bats
01-16-2015, 05:53 PM
I have a size 7-1/8 hat from late-1993. As for the other questions:

Differences in sizing between manufacturers - Possibly.
Hat/Helmet sizes changing over time for players - Sometimes.

I appreciate your input. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Hope to hear from others as well.

spartakid
01-17-2015, 01:34 PM
You should reach out to Wade, I know he has an extensive Big Hurt collection. Search some past threads on Frank Thomas for his contact info. Ricardo

Brandon's Bats
01-17-2015, 02:25 PM
You should reach out to Wade, I know he has an extensive Big Hurt collection. Search some past threads on Frank Thomas for his contact info. Ricardo

Thank you very much! I have searched the forum prior to my thread, but only found the Lealand's hat, and info about Bonds helmet size changes (pre and post PED use). I have a large collection of Thomas bats, both GU, game ready and game model, but only decided to expand to helmets. Again, thanks for providing some guidance.

WadeInBmore
01-17-2015, 06:53 PM
If it was the Thomas helmet on eBay I thinknyou got an issued helmet made up with new numbers to look like a Thomas. I couldn't find a number style match. The seller was very cool and open about talking about the item, but with no real provenance trail and the questionable number styling I stayed away. If you can find pics to style match those solid white numbers you got a good deal...however it wasn't something I was comfortable as claiming to be used by frank.

I have three GU helmets of his and I hadnt gotten to the size comparison since I couldn't style match. I will check and let you know for sure in the next couple of days.

A legit black white sox helmet is on my whale list. I have just about everything else imaginable lol. Still need one for my collection. 😉

If your helmet wasn't the one on eBay where did you acquire it and please post pics!!!! Would love to see a nice Sox helmet!!!

Brandon's Bats
01-17-2015, 10:43 PM
If it was the Thomas helmet on eBay I thinknyou got an issued helmet made up with new numbers to look like a Thomas. I couldn't find a number style match. The seller was very cool and open about talking about the item, but with no real provenance trail and the questionable number styling I stayed away. If you can find pics to style match those solid white numbers you got a good deal...however it wasn't something I was comfortable as claiming to be used by frank.

I have three GU helmets of his and I hadnt gotten to the size comparison since I couldn't style match. I will check and let you know for sure in the next couple of days.

A legit black white sox helmet is on my whale list. I have just about everything else imaginable lol. Still need one for my collection. 😉

If your helmet wasn't the one on eBay where did you acquire it and please post pics!!!! Would love to see a nice Sox helmet!!!

Thanks Wade, that would be the one. It arrived today and I am also a Frank Thomas collector of many years. I am pretty certain I have seen this particular helmet worn by him in the past, and it looks very legit to me. It has the decal indicating it isn't a retail model, but rather a game model. I guess I won't know until I either locate a photo or send it in to be looked at by John Taube. The autograph is definitely his. I really appreciate your post and it is cool to know that there is someone out there who dedicates both the time and money to collect one of my all time favorite players items. I have a large collection of his from the NNOF to the very early Kissimmee Sticks GU and signed uncracked bat. In fact this was my very first bat in my collection many, many years ago.

Here's some photos of your 'whale' both PSA (signature) and John Taube (game used) authenticated and photo matched. Ironically, this is a recent addition as well. Thank you again Wade!

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o759/KR09/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6e90cde7.jpg

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o759/KR09/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps305c93f3.jpg

WadeInBmore
01-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Dude that helmet is beautiful!!!! I am jealous ;-)

What's your email addy. Would love to share Thomas pics with you!!! How big is your collection?

I think I'm up to 24 jerseys 26 bats and a TON of other items from he baseballs to helmets to batting gloves and cleats!!!

I can also share the pics that I found regarding the eBay helmet if you'd like. drop me an email.

Wade

Brandon's Bats
01-18-2015, 04:22 PM
Dude that helmet is beautiful!!!! I am jealous ;-)

What's your email addy. Would love to share Thomas pics with you!!! How big is your collection?

I think I'm up to 24 jerseys 26 bats and a TON of other items from he baseballs to helmets to batting gloves and cleats!!!

I can also share the pics that I found regarding the eBay helmet if you'd like. drop me an email.

Wade

Email sent.