PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Display Cube/Case Marks - anybody have this problem?

MTC
01-14-2015, 05:19 PM
I know a lot of people store game used baseballs in baseball cubes/cases but I was curious if anybody had seen any signs of indentations or marks that the case had left behind on baseballs. I know some of the cubes are different sizes and some seem to hold the balls more tightly. I know a lot of people use the higher-end Steiner glass display case but even then, I've seen the plastic ring leave behind marks.

Are you guys seeing this too and if so, are you doing anything to prevent this or just accepting it as part of the hobby and the nature of displaying baseballs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

danesei@yahoo.com
01-14-2015, 05:27 PM
I know a lot of people store game used baseballs in baseball cubes/cases but I was curious if anybody had seen any signs of indentations or marks that the case had left behind on baseballs. I know some of the cubes are different sizes and some seem to hold the balls more tightly. I know a lot of people use the higher-end Steiner glass display case but even then, I've seen the plastic ring leave behind marks.

Are you guys seeing this too and if so, are you doing anything to prevent this or just accepting it as part of the hobby and the nature of displaying baseballs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

So far, I like the UltraPro UV holders. The three pegs somewhat sit on the laces, so there's minimal impact on the ball. Also, the cases are larger than the ball (unlike Steiner cases, which barely fit the ball).

Roady
01-15-2015, 07:45 AM
So far, I like the UltraPro UV holders. The three pegs somewhat sit on the laces, so there's minimal impact on the ball. Also, the cases are larger than the ball (unlike Steiner cases, which barely fit the ball).
I use the same ones for the same reasons. I tried them all and the UltraPro UV holders are the best in my opinion.

MTC
01-15-2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Do you think a couple minor indentations on the ball decrease the value at all? We are talking about a game-used beat-up ball of course. :)

Roady
01-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Do you think a couple minor indentations on the ball decrease the value at all? We are talking about a game-used beat-up ball of course. :)
I wouldn't think so, since it is already used and beat up anyway.

xpress34
01-15-2015, 02:12 PM
I use the Pro Mold Ball 'Tubes' (when I can find them as they quit making and selling them about a year and a half to two years ago. I also buy small silicone pads with stick on one side and put in the bottom of the tubes for the ball to rest on - no marks and the tube is round, so no getting squished by square/flat sides.

BVC
01-15-2015, 02:15 PM
+1 regarding UltraPro UV vs the tight Steiner ones. Another bad effect - the tight cases get smudgy where the ball was pressed against them.

The UltraPro holder at the bottom has sort of rounded edges, so less damaging. In addition, for old valuable baseballs I wad up a small amount of UV-safe plastic and prop against the top of the ball so that it is more snug against the top.