PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize this Nameplate?

Wrigley2010
01-04-2015, 06:45 PM
So I got this bat in a large lot of Cubs prospect gamers and I can not for the life of me figure out whose it is. Baez, Alcantara, Soler and Villanueva were all in this lot amongst a few others who were easily recognizable. I searched high and low and came up with zilch on a R. Agosto. This bat would have likely come from the clubhouse of the Tennessee Smokies or the visitors clubhouse. It is a large bat at 35 inches and there are no markings on either end. It compares favorably in size to my Glaus and Hamelin gamers both of whom swung big sticks so I'm guessing R. Agosto is a large man. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Joe

bgakladd
01-04-2015, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=Wrigley2010;371795]So I got this bat in a large lot of Cubs prospect gamers and I can not for the life of me figure out whose it is. Baez, Alcantara, Soler and Villanueva were all in this lot amongst a few others who were easily recognizable. I searched high and low and came up with zilch on a R. Agosto. This bat would have likely come from the clubhouse of the Tennessee Smokies or the visitors clubhouse. It is a large bat at 35 inches and there are no markings on either end. It compares favorably in size to my Glaus and Hamelin gamers both of whom swung big sticks so I'm guessing R. Agosto is a large man. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Joe[/QUOT
Rolando Agosto played for the Fort Wayne Wizards back in 2003 I believe. I attended a lot of games back then but don't remember seeing him play much. Low class A minor leagues for the San Diego Padres.

Wrigley2010
01-06-2015, 12:08 AM
Rolando Agosto played for the Fort Wayne Wizards back in 2003 I believe. I attended a lot of games back then but don't remember seeing him play much. Low class A minor leagues for the San Diego Padres.

Thank you for the reply. I should have mentioned I was aware of Rolando Agosto but seeing as how this bat came from the Smokies last year and Rolando hasn't played in over 10 years I thought this has to be someone else's bat.

Phil316
01-06-2015, 01:27 AM
Hey,

Javier Baez's families last name is "Agosto". Infact his brothers first name is Rolando.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/17/sports/baseball/cubs-javier-baez-stays-flexible-amid-a-surplus-at-his-position.html?_r=0

"In 2004, Baez’s family moved from Bayamón, Puerto Rico, to North Carolina to find better health care for his sister Noely, who had been born with spina bifida. Earlier that year, Baez’s father had died after contracting a mysterious illness while working as a municipal landscaper. Baez’s mother, Nelida Agosto, and his older brother, Rolando Agosto, were forced to take on the family’s financial responsibilities."

Wrigley2010
01-06-2015, 03:12 AM
Hey,

Javier Baez's families last name is "Agosto". Infact his brothers first name is Rolando.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/17/sports/baseball/cubs-javier-baez-stays-flexible-amid-a-surplus-at-his-position.html?_r=0

"In 2004, Baez’s family moved from Bayamón, Puerto Rico, to North Carolina to find better health care for his sister Noely, who had been born with spina bifida. Earlier that year, Baez’s father had died after contracting a mysterious illness while working as a municipal landscaper. Baez’s mother, Nelida Agosto, and his older brother, Rolando Agosto, were forced to take on the family’s financial responsibilities."

Phil, thank you for the link. This took a twist that I wasn't expecting. I learned of Rolando Agosto when I was researching this bat a few months back but I had no idea that he was Javier's brother. Like bgakladd stated Rolando was drafted by the Padres in 2002 and only played two years in the minors.

So now I have to wonder... did Javy use one of his brothers "old stock" Max bats, order one in his brothers cut or just keep it in his locker for good luck? I do know the tape job is not normal for Javy. Probably never know without talking to Javy himself. Either way a bat that was once relegated to the closet will now send me on a journey trying to find a photo of Javy swinging it.