PDA

View Full Version : Tagging on team issued 98'Cubs road jersey

cubs93
01-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Hello! Was hoping someone could help me out. Does this tagging look to be correct for a team issued 1998 Cubs road jersey? Most home jersey tagging I've seen from 1998 shows all numbers on one line rather than the uniform number on top then the remaining numbers below or on the second line. I did find a 1995 Cubs road jersey which shows the tagging just like this. Just wondering about 1998 road specific jerseys.

Thank you for any in put anyone might have!

cubs93
01-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Here is the tail tagging...

sox83cubs84
01-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Probably OK. 1998 was a year in which Russell began transitioing tags in terms of style of names and numbers used on them. While this style is less common, I did see it on a '98 Matt Karchner, who was picked up by the Cubs during the season.

I've seen the shirt on the Internet, and my concern would be whether the HEY HEY (Jack Brickhouse) and Harry Caray caricature patches were ever on the jersey. Caray was there all year, and Brickhouse was added in early August, if I recall correctly. The team removed both patches on the stuff used in 1999 spring training, so one would need to examine the jersey personally to see if the patch imprints were on the sleeves (round for Caray, arched stripe for Brickhouse). No evidence of previously affixed patches means no game action.

Hope this helps.

Dave Miedema