PDA

View Full Version : Don Mattingly Gamer

Nnunnari
01-03-2015, 04:00 PM
A bat that had a taped barrel for bp can grade a GU9? Doesn't sound right when great bats have been graded 8-8.5.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Don-Mattingly-H-B-Game-Used-Signed-Bat-New-York-Yankees-PSA-DNA-GU-9-/191470452442?pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item2c94873eda

yanks12025
01-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Nick,
Have you emailed Taube and asked about it??? Maybe he felt it was a gamer then Don decided to use it as a BP bat.

Nnunnari
01-03-2015, 05:40 PM
A bat used for BP should not be graded a 9. 9's are reserved for the finest examples of a given player's gamer.

Bondsgloves
01-03-2015, 06:37 PM
For what its worth.. There is a 2001 Sam Bat on ebay that is graded an 8. Looking at the PSA LOA it states the bat has two mount holes that have been filled on the back of the bat. Besides the tape job being wrong. This bat was pulled from a Lithograph Hoskins did that came with a game issued bat mounted in the display. Looks like the bat was pulled from display, taped, etc.. than presented as game used. My point is if a gamer is proven to be doctored or wrong, does the PSA cert become voided or re-graded? The seller has it on ebay for over $9K. John does an incredible job with bats and grading, but some do slip through the cracks.

Bondsgloves
01-03-2015, 06:53 PM
For what its worth.. There is a 2001 Sam Bat on ebay that is graded an 8. Looking at the PSA LOA it states the bat has two mount holes that have been filled on the back of the bat. Besides the tape job being wrong. This bat was pulled from a Lithograph Hoskins did that came with a game issued bat mounted in the display. Looks like the bat was pulled from display, taped, etc.. than presented as game used. My point is if a gamer is proven to be doctored or wrong, does the PSA cert become voided or re-graded? The seller has it on ebay for over $9K. John does an incredible job with bats and grading, but some do slip through the cracks.

It is a 2001 Bonds Sam Bat

yanks12025
01-03-2015, 07:32 PM

Have you passed the info on to John? I would bet he'd do something about it..

But in general any type of grading is stupid. People put too much in a "Number" whether it being cards, autos or bats. You could have two bats just as nice but if one is graded a 10 people will pay ALOT more for that one compared to the ungraded one.

Nnunnari
01-03-2015, 09:06 PM

No checks and balances in place, completely flawed system.

danesei@yahoo.com
01-04-2015, 02:17 PM
No checks and balances in place, completely flawed system.

Nick, how would you specifically fix the system? Who would you have PSA hire to help John out with the authenticating?

http://www.psacard.com/DNACert/b96984
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261720367493

The above link to the PSA cert and eBay listing. Do you have a link to the Hoskins litho display? That might be helpful to getting things corrected on that. It's quite disturbing that the bat would get an 8 grade, given the circumstances. However, the weird thing is the PSA link only shows the bat as "authentic" without a grade.

Bondsgloves
01-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Nick, how would you specifically fix the system? Who would you have PSA hire to help John out with the authenticating?

http://www.psacard.com/DNACert/b96984
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261720367493

The above link to the PSA cert and eBay listing. Do you have a link to the Hoskins litho display? That might be helpful to getting things corrected on that. It's quite disturbing that the bat would get an 8 grade, given the circumstances. However, the weird thing is the PSA link only shows the bat as "authentic" without a grade.

there is onbe on ebay now item 131260907943

I dont know how to post link from my phone. But if yougo to this item you can see the mounted bat in a display.

danesei@yahoo.com
01-05-2015, 05:04 AM
there is onbe on ebay now item 131260907943

I dont know how to post link from my phone. But if yougo to this item you can see the mounted bat in a display.

Thanks for that info. That's pretty messed up!