PDA

View Full Version : Umpire Collection

AWA85
01-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Recently I was viewing MEARS current sports auction and saw a few nice game used baseballs that originated from an umpire collection. That umpire was John Shulock who was a part of each game in the lots that I looked at. Is it possible that the umpire who was working the game was also able to collect a game used ball from the game and specific play as well?

For example, I have interest in the Griffey Jr. home run ball. It was hit in the 6th inning at the Kingdome and was somehow retrieved by the second base umpire? Am I just caught up in how things work today that this was possible during the time? The ball is very well detailed on the ball that it is a home run ball. Any input or information would be greatly appreciated!

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/1992__July_17__Ken_Griffey_Jr__Seattle_Mariners_Si-LOT84610.aspx

yanks12025
01-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Best bet is to ask Troy and see if he can offer more info. I did notice some of the homerun balls were from games that the umpire was not any of the crew that day.

AWA85
01-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Maybe should have made my question a little more general, as I am just curious does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this? Can't imagine Joe West slipping a home run ball in his pocket in the middle of an inning, am I just over thinking it?