PDA

View Full Version : game worn jersey washed or unwashed?

amex46
01-04-2007, 04:42 PM
what do you think is the best state to keep a game worn jersey in..unwashed or washed, i just obtained an nfl game worn jersey after a game 2 weeks ago in an unwashed state and it STINKS!....if i were to wash it i would wash it in cold water to take the smell out..do you think me washing it would take any value away from it..thanks

kingjammy24
01-04-2007, 04:48 PM
unwashed all the way. i obtained a world series jersey that was worn in the final, victorious game. it was obviously washed afterwards. upon seeing the celebration in the clubhouse, with champagne flying everywhere, i really wish my jersey had all the stains and champagne smell on it.

anyway, if it smells, just spray a little febreeze on it. presto, it'll still have the stains but will smell like a valley of wild lilacs on a warm summer day.

rudy.

bubbrubb25
01-04-2007, 06:53 PM
I would def. now wash it. Why dont you get a glass case or something like that to put it in????

bubbrubb25
01-04-2007, 06:54 PM
I meant not not now

flaco1801
01-05-2007, 01:39 AM
if you dont wash it you can always get dna and have it authenticated by dr. henry lee. this answer may seem odd, but no more foolish than the question? Jeff

kylehess10
01-05-2007, 01:42 AM
what do you think is the best state to keep a game worn jersey in..unwashed or washed, i just obtained an nfl game worn jersey after a game 2 weeks ago in an unwashed state and it STINKS!....if i were to wash it i would wash it in cold water to take the smell out..do you think me washing it would take any value away from it..thanks

I have quite a few stinky items myself (mostly hats). I just keep them in a case and I don't smell a thing.

chakes89
01-05-2007, 03:19 AM
who wore the jersey?

jake33
01-05-2007, 08:23 AM
If you frame an unwashed jersey, there is a possibility that moisture form the jersey (sweat, blood, urine, spit, snot, water) can fog up the frame,

PK
01-05-2007, 09:14 AM
who wore the jersey?

That's what I was wondering along with how they got it so fast and can they get any others?

chakes89
01-05-2007, 09:54 AM
If you frame an unwashed jersey, there is a possibility that moisture form the jersey (sweat, blood, urine, spit, snot, water) can fog up the frame,
why would a jersey have urine on it :confused:

Jake51
01-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Sadly, I know this because I had one. Mark Schlereth (played O-line for the Broncs and the skins) was nicknamed 'Stink' and it was a perfect fit. He would pee his pants (and his jersey tail when it was tucked in) almost every game, often in a pile after a play was over. Guess it was a combination of nerves and who knows what!

hblakewolf
01-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Forum Readers-
Flannel baseball jerseys MUST BE CLEANED/WASHED in order to preserve them. I have dozens of Phillies flannels dating back to 1949 in my collection and all have been cleaned before storing them. Why is this crucial? Moths are attracted to the wool when the detect dirt/grime and in turn, eat the wool.

I know several collectors who have stored unwashed flannels in their closet, only to remove them at a later date and find they look like Swiss cheese!

Knock on wood-I have never had a moth hole on any of my flannels and as another precautionary measure, all are stored in a cedar chest.

FYI
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

chakes89
01-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Sadly, I know this because I had one. Mark Schlereth (played O-line for the Broncs and the skins) was nicknamed 'Stink' and it was a perfect fit. He would pee his pants (and his jersey tail when it was tucked in) almost every game, often in a pile after a play was over. Guess it was a combination of nerves and who knows what!

thats funny :D

staindsox
01-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I agree with Howard. From a preservation point of view, I think you would want to wash it. Have you ever looked at old gym clothes that haven't been washed in awhile? It can turn into a science fair experiment. I like gamers showing heavy use too, but the sweat and soiling could lead to future deterioration. I would suggest you wash it.

Chris

kingjammy24
01-05-2007, 03:06 PM
if you're concerned about moisture developing into mold, then run it through a cycle in the dryer. mold can only grow in moist conditions.

moths will be attracted to wool whether it's clean or dirty. i hang all of my jerseys on cedar hangers. you can also do as howard does and use a cedar chest and/or moth balls. the cedar alone should do the trick.

i just think it would be unfortunate to wash out "game stains". dirt stains, blood stains, pine tar, etc., will not turn into anything detrimental. i think stains such as these really add to a piece.

again, if you're concerned about preserving the integrity of the jersey then run it through the dryer to completely dry out any moisture, coat it with a light mist of lysol spray disinfectant to kill any bacteria. use febreeze if the smell bothers you. hang it on a cedar hanger or use a cedar chest, or at a minimum moth balls. after all that, you should have a dry jersey that smells great, is resistant to moths, and yet has all of the game stains remaining.

if you had the nolan ryan jersey where ryan and ventura got into fisticuffs, would you really try to wash out the blood?

rudy.

Nathan
01-05-2007, 09:53 PM
I think Schlereth's reason for relieving himself was to create as unpleasant of an atmosphere for a DL as possible.

The worst possible uniform piece is hockey gloves. To give you an example of how bad it is, Mikael Renberg of Toronto nicked his hand a couple years ago, and the resulting infection from wearing his gloves nearly cost him his arm and then his life. The smell of hockey gloves is one that can bring a lifelong rink employee or hockey coach to his knees in a second.

amex46
01-05-2007, 11:33 PM
thanks for the posts...i apperciate the feedback i think after hearing the feedback i will wash it in a light cycle and hang it to dry then frame it in a shadow frame. the jersey is from an nfl runninng back so it has great use on it already and i got it right after a game in the locker room from him so i dont have any doubts weather he wore it or not. .... i see black shadow frames on ebay for about 80-100 bucks any cheaper options?

commando
03-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Time to resurrect this thread...

I just picked up two game-used, unwashed football jerseys that are almost 25 years old. The jerseys have obviously been dry for many years now, so mold isn't a problem. Game use on these jerseys partially consist of dirty screened-on numbers, letters and sleeve stripes. None of this dirt would survive a washing, and even a squirt of Fabreze would probably run the dirt right off the screened parts.

Because of the smell, I probably have no choice but to wash them in cold water. I'll probably snap a bunch of photos before I do, and hopefully they'll do justice showing how dirty these jerseys are!

Circa 1984 Houston Gamblers Mike Hawkins

Vintagedeputy
03-12-2008, 08:36 PM

UNwashed!

Spray it with febreeze, and cover it with a dry cleaners plastic bag

Vintagedeputy
03-12-2008, 08:38 PM
why would a jersey have urine on it :confused:

My Posada bat has urine on it, to some degree.

frikativ54
03-13-2008, 01:58 AM
My Posada bat has urine on it, to some degree.

Yours or his?

Vintagedeputy
03-13-2008, 06:17 AM
Yours or his?

uh, his

nyjetsfan14
03-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Yours or his?

Absolutely entirely too funny!