PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Game Worn UNC Shoes Authenticity Grey Flannel

MikeA23
12-20-2014, 06:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12056961/authenticity-auctioned-michael-jordan-game-worn-shoes-called-questioned

Phil316
12-21-2014, 01:55 AM
Interesting story.

I honestly think that with articles like this one, that some people who have bought-en from Grey Flannel will start looking at their own collection. Maybe doing a little bit more research.

3arod13
12-21-2014, 09:48 AM
The lack of research on auction houses amazes me. I have been able to prove many items as not being authentic and/or as advertised.

volunteer
12-21-2014, 04:06 PM
This is the clearest case of fraud I have ever seen. Hopefully someone will get arrested.

AWA85
12-21-2014, 05:08 PM
I am amazed at the "slip ups" that continue to occur by ALL sports auction houses. Some of the work is just sloppy and some of it seems to show little care in what is actually going into the auction.

ChrisCavalier
12-21-2014, 11:20 PM
I am amazed at the "slip ups" that continue to occur by ALL sports auction houses. Some of the work is just sloppy and some of it seems to show little care in what is actually going into the auction.
Let me start out by saying that as a general rule, please be careful in making comments that use the word “ALL,” especially when it comes to referring to large groups such as auction houses. When you do so, you are generalizing and making assumptions that may not be correct. In this case, I personally took offense to this comment and felt the need to reply.

In this instance, I think it is unfortunate that the item was run without supplemental authentication beyond claims made by the consignor. I don’t think anyone is happy that these questions have now surfaced, including Grey Flannel and I hope Grey Flannel responds to these concerns to the satisfaction of everyone. However, to say that these type of “slip ups” occur at all auction houses is an unfair statement.

For example, at Goldin Auctions we do things in a manner that I believe we can empirically say is highly responsible to the bidding community. In fact, those who have consigned with us are aware of the steps we take with all items and know there is a great deal of work we do prior to any item going into our auctions. With that said, we know some consignors who do not want to expose their items to the level of rigor we do in our evaluations of items and will choose not to use us. However, we are fine with that reality as we will not compromise what we do to attract more consignments. I can say this for a fact as the Vice President of Consignments at Goldin.

For example, at Goldin Auctions autographed and game used items come with authentication provided by a first hand authenticator (someone who witnessed it) such as MLB, the player, team, or corporation (such as Fanatics, Panini, Steiner, etc.) Regarding the latter, these companies have been documented to have contracts directly with players and are reputable entities that are recognized by the public as such. Further, even with all these forms of authentication, errors can occur and we have pulled items from our auctions where photographic evidence did not match the league, player or team LOA. Further, we have not run items even in cases where the player has provided an affidavit but the photographic evidence did not match the statement by the player (e.g., the player stated in writing they used an item for a particular event but the photographic or video evidence showed otherwise).

For items that do not come with this form of authentication, 100% of all autographed items get a PSA or JSA LOA, COA or certification. In addition, 100% of game used items get a PSA/DNA, MEARS, MeiGray, or in the case of certain post 1986 items, Dave Miedema LOA. This protocol for having 100% independent third-party authentication on all items was marketed at the founding of the company by Ken Goldin. The logic behind it is simple. No one can be an expert on everything and we felt there should never be even the potential for a perception that we were incentivized to issue our own authentication on items that may be perceived as suspect in order to make a commission. Please also note that even ‘The Experts’ can make mistakes. However, in 100% of the instances where a potential error in third-party authentication has been pointed out to us, Goldin Auctions has contacted the authenticator to do a review. And, in all warranted cases, the item was pulled. This has included items that came with LOAs from EVERY authenticator as well as teams, players, and even schools.

Overall, we do not believe it is in the best interest of everyone involved for the selling agent to also do the authentications of items. That is why we painstakingly go through this process on all items to make sure, as much as possible, that the items in our auctions are beyond reproach and we believe we have been rewarded by bidders with more aggressive bidding given the protocols we use. This, in turn, benefits not only our bidders but also our consignors with our realized prices.

I apologize for the long response but I wanted to make it clear that people should be careful not to include terms like “ALL” when referring to a large group of entities. This is especially true when that posts can be perceived as a bashing of all the entities within that group. I can assure you that not all auction houses share the same rules, policies, and procedures and you will offend those who work tremendously hard to create and implement protocols that benefit their clients, both bidders and consignors. I can tell you that as an employee of Goldin Auctions, I personally took offense.

Sincerely,
Chris

AWA85
12-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Chris, would you please shoot me an email at awa85@live.com regarding a previous auction lot. Thank you!

ChrisCavalier
12-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Chris, would you please shoot me an email at awa85@live.com regarding a previous auction lot. Thank you!
Hello Adam,

Thank you for the email and the correspondence.

Sincerely,
Chris

DoctorLoomis
12-24-2014, 05:09 PM
"They are still fantastic shoes"..........

The absurdity of it all.