PDA

View Full Version : Mets Experts I Need Help?

suave1477
01-04-2007, 03:25 AM
I have a question with a few parts to it!!!

When did the Mets start using the blue Batting Practice/Spring Trainging Jerseys?

During that time they started wearing the Blue Jerseys was Gil Hodges with the mets, if so was he a player or manager?

At that time who was the manaufacture of those Jerseys? Was it Rawlings?

If so what would be a ball park range of a Jersey like that worth?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this!!!

cbb5
01-04-2007, 07:35 AM
As far as I know, the Mets did not start wearing the blue batting practice jerseys until the early 80's (1980?). Gil Hodges died in 1969, so I don't think he ever wore one of these jerseys!!

cbb5
01-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Also, I believe Rawlings initially made the jerseys, but eventually Goodmans, Majestic and Russell manufactured them at one time or another.

ironmanfan
01-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Gil Hodges died in 1972 (not 1969)

TNTtoys
01-04-2007, 09:36 AM
I have a question with a few parts to it!!!

When did the Mets start using the blue Batting Practice/Spring Trainging Jerseys?

During that time they started wearing the Blue Jerseys was Gil Hodges with the mets, if so was he a player or manager?

At that time who was the manaufacture of those Jerseys? Was it Rawlings?

If so what would be a ball park range of a Jersey like that worth?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this!!!

Jason,

The Mets started using BPs in 1981. Rawlings manufactured all of these jerseys exclusively -- for the next 5 years or so, until Goodman began making them in 1986. Rawlings continued to make them however...

The others are correct -- Gil Hodges passed away long before the Mets would use a blue BP jersey.

And finally, a blue BP circa early 80s should fetch in the ballpark of $75-125 depending upon condition. A sar player should fetch a bit more. I have nearly every style Mets BP from 81 and onwards, and they are quite unique jerseys. There were new styles introduced every year; some years had 2 new styles. The material changed signigficantly as well -- in 81 (and for the next few years), it was a very thin stretch poly, an early predecessor to the mesh worn in the mid-80s.

Interestingly, in 82 and 83, the Mets wore an alternate blue jersey that was often mistaken for the BP. These were much heavier, and had subtle differences.

I have compiled a lot of info about Mets jerseys, especially the 80s styles if you are interested in knowing more.

Nick

suave1477
01-04-2007, 11:59 AM
I appreciate all the info guys!!!

I was curious as I came across a Jersey someone has framed and hanging is a Gil Hodges Jersey, the blue one. Made by Rawlings.
Before I approached them on the Jersey I wanted to see if it just may possibly be a Game Used Jersey.

But by the info provided most likely not.

flaco1801
01-04-2007, 12:14 PM
how could you have possibly thought that batting practice jerseys existed back in the 70s? seems odd your a dealer and u dont know your baseball history 101 Jeff

suave1477
01-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Jeff I apologize if my question bothers you but from last time I checked this forum is here to further educate into this hobby. I take offense to your statement regardless of my nature in this hobby whether it is for collecting or selling. Does not mean I am going to know every exact detail.
As a Dealer I try to gain as much knowledge as possible on items I sell or that personally interest me.

I guess all of us are not lucky like you to be born with Game Used knowledge!!!

If it is common knowledge that Batting Practice Jerseys were introduced in 1981, then that is why I asked to apart of the knowing, of that common knowledge!!!

metsbats
01-04-2007, 09:52 PM
I'd personally like to commend Jason on his honesty to ask a question.

The problem with folks today is they hate to admit they don't know something.

The best dealers whom I dealt have always been the ones who don't claim to know it all and take advise from others when they are not sure rather than pass themselves off as self appointed experts when they are really are not.

David

flaco1801
01-05-2007, 01:34 AM
sometimes a lil research and effort and youll get your answers. baseball cards are a great source for typing jerseys not perfect, but good. yearbooks and video are another. and not to upset you any further, but its offensive to see the "whats it worth". not everything is measured in dollars. and this from an old sherlock holmes movie "collectors never sell" this i truly believe. now that information is invaluable. Jeff